Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Baled Hay Field with Sunset

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dubs

(Untitled for now) 18” x 24” Colored Pencil Drawing on Strathmore Mixed Media Gray Paper done in Faber Castell Polychromos, Koh-i-Nor Woodless Colored Pencils, and Charcoal. No reference. Please comment and critique (and don’t hold back). I appreciate any time you can share.

Dubs

Updated — I added some contrasts with darks (storm cloud, hay bales and the shadows) and some highlights to the sky and a little to the hay bales. The paper is “full” and would only take gouache etc at this point.

Please be blunt in your comments and critiques. You will not offend me.

ocmd123

Nice subject! The contrast you added is working. My crit would be in composition rather than execution. To my eye the second row of bales is a little to evenly spaced. It’s little thing and doesn’t kill the composition. Just what my eye picked up first. :) Thanks for sharing with us!

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                Instagram

Save

Wassie
                    KJSieloff

The contrast you added with the storm clouds works beautifully. I agree with Elaine, maybe place the hay bales slightly differently to be a little more randomly placed, or something. That’s about it…I really love this.

Kathy Sieloff
                        My Website

KarenESP

It’s wonderful. Gives you that feeling of a big place with lots of room, when I look at it I can breath easier

Dubs

Nice subject! The contrast you added is working. My crit would be in composition rather than execution. To my eye the second row of bales is a little to evenly spaced. It’s little thing and doesn’t kill the composition. Just what my eye picked up first. :) Thanks for sharing with us!

Thank you. I truly appreciate it. I would redo the closest bale in the front on the right, also. To me, it is too small. I see what you are saying about the 2nd row of bales. That was a complete accident! I will be more mindful of that in the future.
                                Also, I think the bales are too round. I would use a different approach drawing them more like how I draw pine needles. I think that would also really help with the realistic feel of the bales.

Dubs

This is beautiful!

Thank you!

Dubs

The contrast you added with the storm clouds works beautifully. I agree with Elaine, maybe place the hay bales slightly differently to be a little more randomly placed, or something. That’s about it…I really love this.

Thank you for taking time with me!

Dubs

It’s wonderful. Gives you that feeling of a big place with lots of room, when I look at it I can breath easier

Thank you!

KarenESP

I like both versions. They appear to be at different times of the day. Makes me miss the midwest

Pingpongfan

I mostly like this. The only thing I don’t like is the bale on the right which is falling out of the picture. This does look like a dry and dusty place with storm clouds looming. Nice atmosphere.
                                                    Vena

Dubs

I like both versions. They appear to be at different times of the day. Makes me miss the midwest

Thank you!

Dubs

I mostly like this. The only thing I don’t like is the bale on the right which is falling out of the picture. This does look like a dry and dusty place with storm clouds looming. Nice atmosphere.
                                                            Vena

Thank you for this ❤️ Im not happy with that bale on the far right that is closest to the front. Imho, it is too small for the placement, and I don’t really like the placement. I also am not happy with how round the bales are. I will do another hay bale drawing in the future and learn from my mistakes.

MaryFlora

Your painting is beautiful and resembles fields in NW Minnesota….big and open.

Our area is not as dramatic but we do bale large round bales, similar to those in your painting. Sometimes a bale will “settle” and the bottom will flatten out a bit so it is no longer completely round. A bit of a random feature in our fields.

A wonderful gift! Lucky recipients!

Mary Flora

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.