Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Colors you’d spend more for

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Cadfaeltex

What color/pigment would you spend more for for a better quality paint? Say for instance in acrylic I’ve read Lascaux has more pigment than a lot of brands and I’m sure the same applies to certain oil and watercolors.

ETA, Conversely, any colors or pigments that you’d be ok skimping in. I’ve Seen recommended that titanium white is a strong enough pigment that you tend to use enough of that you might even buy student grade paints in it.

Patrick1

I’d spend more to get better yellows because the organic ones I often/always use get dominated in tinting strength by other colors, as well as lacking coverage/opacity. Especially in acrylics. For me, better here means higher pigment load, not necessarily a different or more expensive pigment. Yellow is the one color I’ve never yet found to be satisfactory in student acrylics.

Next most important for me, to spend more on, to step up in quality, is Titanium White. Not because of tinting strength or opacity reasons, but to get the better, thicker, denser working feel and brushstroke retention. Especially important because white is used in a lot of places, and in the upper highlight parts, which are most prominent in the finished work.

To skimp, buy in lower-grade: single-pigment Phthalo colors. They are especially nasty in oils. The less needed, the better.

Pinguino

“Better quality” is not always measured in pigment load, at least for oils (especially the transparent colors). I think in terms of consistency, predictability, and uniformity.

Ted B.

At some point I’ll buy some Michael Harding or Blue Ridge Flake White lead. Most of my current studies are low-chroma so bright pure pigments are less of an issue. “Better quality” studio paints with single pigments do fine for high values and low-values when mixed towards the neutral-ish grays. But for some passages lead might be better than inexpensive titanium for mixing.

Gamblin and Williamsburg mix true Munsell Neutral Grays straight from the tube.

Radical Fundemunsellist

Richard P

With Acrylics you can paint white over the area you want a yellow in and then yellow over the top.

In terms of using yellow as a mixing colour, then yes I get the problems..

lambentLogic

Favorite colors and colors that I want/expect to use a lot of, that have a lower tinting strength than my strongest colors. Ultramarine blue is the best example of this. I am sure it would also apply to some yellows, and dark transparent reds where I’d like the darks to be accessible without layering (quinacridone magenta is my favorite and I should thus show it favoritism).

Colors that vary widely in hue and I want my favorite hue of, which might be more brand-specific than more consistent pigments, and I’d pay a premium to hit the bullseye. The teal/turquoise versions of cobalt PG50 and PB28 (which are more expensive pigments anyway). Earth colors like raw umber (which isn’t, so I’d be a little more cautious in paying too much).

Rare colors that intrigue me and I only have one or two options for what to pay anyway. PB17 pthalo cyan, Potter’s Pink in either acrylics or pigment dispersion form. Whether I’d pay this premium multiple times is a different question.

White, because even if I moved fully to watercolor style … there are still things like ‘good paper’ and ‘masking fluid’ that would mean I’d be spending on white. Outside that, it is a handy tool indeed and I see much advice to get a good-quality white, so I likely will at times.

C&C welcome
                            Etsy: FineArtAnn

WFMartin

Just for pure curiosity, and academic reasons, I might like to try an oil paint whose color plotted closer to true Cyan, a primary color, than anything that exists at present. To date, Thalo Blue (PB15) is about as close to being true Cyan as anything that is available, but something closer to true Cyan would definite spark my interest.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Ted B.

It’s remarkable how few stable Blue pigments there are for oils and watercolors; Ultramarine, Prussian, Cerulean, Cobalt and Phthalo covers most of the range. Yinmn Blue isn’t readily available …yet.

Radical Fundemunsellist

Delofasht

Regardless of medium, yellow. Specifically a more opaque, bright, green leaning one; also an orange leaning one of high pigment loading that is transparent. These are two colors that if the pigment is suboptimal in regards to these specific qualities to each, the results I desire are practically impossible (in regards of potential hues when mixed with every other color on my palette and handling of the paint itself).

I also pay more for a blue with the characteristics I like as well, lower green reflectance, higher opacity. Currently the closest I can get is a cobalt blue deep (or dark), but it’s mixing strength is rather weak. YinMn blue may get still be a long way from becoming affordable unfortunately, and until it does we are stuck with what we have had for a very long time now.

- Delo Delofasht

Your question was regarding which colours I’d spend more for, so I for this comment I will not take into account the brands (because affordable doesn’t necessarily mean the quality is bad, and vice versa) but the importance of individual pigments.

Traditionally it is ultramarine blue[/URL] that’s the most expensive because it’s made by grinding lapis lazuli aka lazurite[/URL] – a special kind of metamorphic rock that’s exclusively mined from Afghanistan – into powder form, so the richness of the colour (and rarity) is there. It’s also a beautiful colour that could totally transform the impact of your artwork, so I would personally invest on this one. :thumbsup:

steve.sens

I would spend more money on a Magnesium Blue PB33, the old school one, not the hue. I recall having a tube and marveled at the uniqueness and granulation, before it was no longer manufactured. I have a near virgin tube of PO49 Quin Gold, but never put it into use. If I knew I could get more, I might pay more to see what all the fuss was about.

I love color and mixing, though I admit that mixing and being able to incorporate said mix into a wonderful composition is not always a strong point…

Drawing Drew

Oil paint: Cadmium yellow, all of them, lemon/light, medium & deep. Think a third of my paint supply is yellows :angel:

Richard P

A cheaper opaque yellow would be first wish (as others have said)

Anonymous

What color/pigment would you spend more for for a better quality paint?

genuine alizarin crimson PR83 is number one.

mogo

Not sure if this is the right forum to be asking. I am newish to oil painting and have inherited some paints, bought other, all artist quality. The blue I inherited is French ultramarine blue. Is this similar to plain ultramarine blue or should I add Ultramarine? Another question I hope someone may have experience with is Gamboge oil. Any comments I would appreciate. Guess I am thinking can I afford Gamboge :-}

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.