Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Claude Monet’s color palette, Myth or Fact?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    voiles

Hello everyone, I am a pastel artist who is thinking of going into oil painting. While investigating the subject of mixing and the question of Which colors to buy, I came across this quote by the great Claude Monet himself:

As for the colors I use, what’s so interesting about that ? I don’t think one could paint better or more brightly with another palette. The most important thing is to know how to use the colors. Their choice is a matter of habit. In short,[B] I use white lead, cadmium yellow, vermilion, madder, cobalt blue, chrome green[/B]. That’s all.

From what I have read online, as well as browsing through these forums, this is what most would consider a rather limited selection of colors (the Wetcanvas website itself recommends using about 15 colors). It comes, however, from the painter whose work is arguably the most vibrant and, well, colorful in all history. The quote comes from 1905, at the time of Monet’s “House of Parliament” and “Waterlilies” series.

So my question is: Do you believe that Monet could have created these masterpieces of Impressionism with just the 6 colors listed above?

(For some reason this site isn’t letting me upload any Monet images; so please google image Monet’s Waterlilies and House of Parliament images to judge for yourself.)

WFMartin

I have seen a few of Monet’s paintings at the Phoenix Art Museum, back at the time they still have really good exhibits, and I was able to get my nose right up to them…One of the Haystack paintings, and one of the Rouen (sp) Cathedral paintings.

Surprising as it may seem, I found that the colors used in those paintings were not all that “pure”, or “brilliant”, or “intense” as many like to believe they are.

His colors (even his small, dabs of individual colors) were actually quite muted, and subdued (grayed), and of course when those colors were mixed with each other they became even grayer.

I totally believe that his palette of colors may have consisted of the colors in his quote. Vermilion is a very muted “red”, actually. The other colors are not remarkable, either. I have no idea what Chrome Green is in terms of its actual color.

Now, I have seen some paintings by Renoir, also, and those practically jump off their canvases, they are so intense, and brightly painted.:)

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Gigalot

I think, he used “Emerald Green” or “Veronese Green” quite extensively!
                Those colors are very pure green – aceto-arsenite salt of copper. Probably, one of the basic colours on his palette. You can try Phthalo Emerald instead.

yellow_oxide

Natural Pigments, a company that specializes in ye olde paints and makes the Rublev brand, has a chrome green, here, about which they say-

“Chrome Green is a term most commonly applied in the nineteenth century to a composite pigment where Prussian blue was precipitated on chrome yellow. Field adds that this term is used for ‘compounds of chromate of lead with Prussian blue and other blue colours.’ Chrome green also designated the pigment green chromium oxide, but which was distinguished from composite pigments of the same name by the terms Native green or True green. Rublev Colours Chrome Green is composed of chrome yellow medium and Prussian blue according to nineteenth century formulations.”

One thing to consider about images of old paintings on the internet is that the colors are not necessarily true to life. There’s been many times that I’ve looked up a painting only to find many different photos of it that all make the colors look different. So, as WFMartin described, the real colors may be very different from your expectation. Contrasting colors could also appear more chromatic together than if they were viewed separately and their true dullness revealed.

I’m not sure what the source of this information is, but there’s a website called oilcolorpalettes that lists the palettes of various current and past artists. For Monet they list the paints from that quote plus chrome yellow, viridian, emerald green, french ultramarine, and madder lake. Also ivory black in his pre-1886 paintings. The emerald green mentioned in the list and by Gigalot is an obsolete paint made from arsenic that I don’t think anyone makes or sells anymore, so you won’t be able to find that without looking through garage sales. The phthalo emerald (phthalo green yellow shade) suggestion would probably work, though it’d be darker out of the tube. There’s a photo of a tube here, plus a comparison with a swatch of Winsor emerald (i.e. phthalo emerald).

Anonymous

I have seen a few of Monet’s paintings at the Phoenix Art Museum, back at the time they still have really good exhibits, and I was able to get my nose right up to them…One of the Haystack paintings, and one of the Rouen (sp) Cathedral paintings.

Surprising as it may seem, I found that the colors used in those paintings were not all that “pure”, or “brilliant”, or “intense” as many like to believe they are.

His colors (even his small, dabs of individual colors) were actually quite muted, and subdued (grayed), and of course when those colors were mixed with each other they became even grayer.

I totally believe that his palette of colors may have consisted of the colors in his quote. Vermilion is a very muted “red”, actually. The other colors are not remarkable, either. I have no idea what Chrome Green is in terms of its actual color.

Now, I have seen some paintings by Renoir, also, and those practically jump off their canvases, they are so intense, and brightly painted.:)

Yes, I’ve seen many many Monet’s in various museums across Europe, and I agree completely with you Bill. The majority of his paintings are in fact rather muted.

KolinskyRed

I think from reading many a bio on Monet that he was both thrilled and frustrated by his immense fame. The down side is that everyone wanted a piece of him, and to a certain degree he resented people beating a path to his door interrupting his treasured private and painterly life at Giverney. But at the same time he relished and cultivated fame and attention.

I think too he was a bit of an imp regarding what he said in answer to questions. In part, early famous articles got it wrong, but made him look like a secretive talent, i.e. “how did he do that?” so he would sometimes recycle those “famous answers” in subsequent interviews.

So, I’d say he used a few more than the listed paints in the quote you’ve mentioned – though of course that’s painting specific. Have a look at this list

Secondly, the quote has a very interesting sentence: “The most important thing is to know how to use the colors.” This speaks to two things, firstly how our vision works. It’s been mentioned by neurologists that Monet really nailed down how our vision perceives light and shadow ratios. This part of his technique helps creates the colour induction effects our brain sees in his paintings. That is, far more vivid colour patches within the paintings than an isolated swatch would show us (as mentioned in previous post).

The message may well have been along the lines of if a painter knows about colour induction and structural effects of paint strokes, these few colours will be enough to create great effects

James Elkins writes about a close examination of the physicality of Monet’s preparation and application of the oil paint brush strokes. This too dispels another impish myth Monet allowed to grow about him: he painting out of doors, spontaneously. His works were largely well planned, thought out, methodically developed (using his amazing techniques which no one could follow).

Yes, he did let loose with studies, but research has shown his paintings were thought out and much of a painting is finished in studio. He encouraged the idea his work was completed out of doors. He did encourage a study of lighting, that he’s painting an impression of the light it self and not the objects, as he would say.

So I call one part myth, one part truth :)

Mythrill

More important than trying to copy the exact colors of the impressionist would be to try to capture their essence. Back then, synthetic colors had just been invented, and they were considered to be “liberating” compared to traditional painting techniques. Synthetic pigments were higher chroma, more vibrant, and opaque. And by painting without too much mixing, they were put together with pointillism to represent natural light.

Here’s what I would recommend to capture their spirit:

[*]Titanium White (PW 6), and Zinc Sulphide (PW 7) for a more transparent white.
                                  [*]Bismuth Yellow (PY 184), sometimes mixed with Lemon Yellow (PY 3) for accents.
                                  [*]Chrome Oxide Green (PG 17)
                                  [*]Ultramarine Blue (PB 29) or Cobalt Blue (PB 28).
                                  [*]Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122). The opaque variety is very rare. I only found it at Kremer, so you can use a transparent magenta.
                                  [*]Pyrrole Red Light (PR 255), opaque version. If you can’t find the opaque version, mix it with a little Light Red (PR 101 or PR 102).
                                  [*]Dioxazine Purple (PV 23), a permanent alternative to the fugitive violets of back then.
                                  [*]Mars Black (PBk 11).
                                opainter

That’s a pretty interesting palette you’ve mentioned, Mythrill. One never knows when you’re going to mention something priceless!

When you mention the two whites, do you mean that either one should be on this palette, or that both ought to be? Or (even though I know that Alex – Gigalot – would disapprove) that one could use a mixture of the two?

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                                    :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                                    :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

Gigalot

That’s a pretty interesting palette you’ve mentioned, Mythrill. One never knows when you’re going to mention something priceless!

When you mention the two whites, do you mean that either one should be on this palette, or that both ought to be? Or (even though I know that Alex – Gigalot – would disapprove) that one could use a mixture of the two?

This palette looks pretty good :) I just like to have both (opaque and transparent) versions of white paint. Both are useful!!

Mythrill

This palette looks pretty good :) I just like to have both (opaque and transparent) versions of white paint. Both are useful!!

It’s exactly what Giga said, opainter: both versions would be useful. However, you can do just with Titanium White (PW 6) and oleogel to lighten your mixes a little without losing a lot of saturation. Just don’t overdo the oleogel if you use it, since impressionists didn’t glaze. If you do, your mixes will end up transparent.

llawrence

I think it’s probably similar to the Zorn palette: Anders Zorn liked to boast about his four paints (lead white, yellow ochre, vermilion, and black), and those four paints were certainly the core of his palette. But, just as certainly, they weren’t the only four paints he used. Likewise, I’d bet that Monet did keep these six paints as the core of his palette, but likely added to them as needed. I’d be quite surprised if he never ever used chrome orange or emerald green or cobalt violet.

In short, I use [B]white lead, cadmium yellow, vermilion, madder, cobalt blue, chrome green[/B]. That’s all.

Luckily, these colors are all still available! :)

llawrence

More important than trying to copy the exact colors of the impressionist would be to try to capture their essence.

I agree with this statement. Same thing with emulating the old masters.

Mythrill

I think it’s probably similar to the Zorn palette: Anders Zorn liked to boast about his four paints (lead white, yellow ochre, vermilion, and black), and those four paints were certainly the core of his palette. But, just as certainly, they weren’t the only four paints he used. Likewise, I’d bet that Monet did keep these six paints as the core of his palette, but likely added to them as needed. I’d be quite surprised if he never ever used chrome orange or emerald green or cobalt violet.
                                                        Luckily, these colors are all still available! :)

The point is, why would you paint with Lead White (PW 1) or Vermillion (PR 106), when you can paint with technically superior materials? If you are emulating everything about the impressionists, sure, this would be the approach. But if you are trying to capture their essence, then I believe using superior materials will give a very interesting result. That’s because, just as I said, they didn’t have a permanent violet, for example. So whatever organic violet they used would quickly fade and become grayish. We don’t have to suffer from any of these limitations anymore.

Mythrill

I agree with this statement. Same thing with emulating the old masters.

I would love to see some work trying to emulate the chiaroscuro and the glazing techniques of old masters, but with more modern pigments! For instance, a blend of Nickel Titanate (PY 53) and Chrome Titanate (PBr 24) to replace Naples Yellow (PY 41), or Cadmium Red Light (PR 108) + Light Red (PR 101) to replace Vermillion (PR 106). This would also be amazing.

llawrence

The point is, why would you paint with Lead White (PW 1) or Vermillion (PR 106), when you can paint with technically superior materials? If you are emulating [B][I]everything[/I][/B] about the impressionists, sure, this would be the approach. But if you are trying to capture their [B][I]essence[/I][/B], then I believe using superior materials will give a very interesting result.

I do agree in substance, but if we’re talking about capturing the essence of those older materials, many newer materials just aren’t anything like them. Cadmium red light, for instance, is nothing like vermilion. I’ve painted Zorn palette with both, and there’s just no comparison. Vermilion wants to be skin tones. Cadmium red, on the other hand, seems like it would rather do just about anything else. It will do it, but it needs to be forced to.

You can, of course, modify the cadmium with mediums, calcite, oleogel, etc., to try to make it more like real vermilion, but it’s not like vermilion out of the tube. For me, vermilion and lead white are both a pleasure to paint with, whereas painting with cadmium red and titanium white are like trying to corral loud, wild beasts.

To me, capturing the essence of older materials means not trying to match their color, but rather their mixing properties. I’m not looking for a modern vermilion – I’m looking for a whole range of modern colors that easily and pleasurably mix into skin tones the way that vermilion does. Cobalt teal PB28 is a great example of a modern color that does this.

(Concerning lead white: I don’t believe there is a technically superior material to this. It maintains its strength and flexibility in an oil film over time in a way other pigments just don’t do. Lead white is a big reason many oil paintings from hundreds of years ago are still in good condition. You definitely have a case for thinking vermilion is inferior, but not, in my opinion, lead white.)

That’s because, just as I said, they didn’t have a permanent violet, for example.

Well, some of them did have cobalt violet. But certainly nothing like dioxazine. But again, a dioxazine won’t give you the essence of a cobalt violet, unless whipped and beaten and forced to do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Claude Monet’s color palette, Myth or Fact?’ is closed to new replies.