WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > NEW! Welcome Forum - New Users
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM

Hello from Texas

Hello, I am a new, old artist from Houston, Texas.

Not having the advantage of a formal art education and someone to instruct me, I became frustrated and quit drawing and trying to paint in the 60s. I tried pen and ink in the 80s but I was too busy trying to survive to do anything with it. I attempted pen and ink, and watercolor again in the 90s but found my drawing skills were not as good as they had been. I guess the old adage, "use it or lose it" is actually true.

I had all but given up drawing and painting until a trip to Paris 4 years ago. And I wanted to paint! It was hard to find someone to teach an adult the basics when you could only go to class on the weekends or after work. I finally found an artist in the warehouse district downtown that would teach adults. I almost quit after my first attempt but forged on. I had to understand that I would never have a perfect painting and that even though I could never be great I should be happy that I am doing something I enjoy. Since I made peace with myself, and my limited ability, I have been a lot happier with my artwork and like going to class.

I enjoy rendering portraits whether they be human or animal. My nemeses is the great outdoors and landscapes. Unfortunately the artist teaching adults downtown in the warehouse district decided to start her family and give up classes but recommended us to Ms. Jeraine Reat.

I started classes with Jeraine Reat two years ago. Ms. Reat is a portrait artist and is 80 plus years of age. I am trying to learn everything I can from her while she is still teaching.

The art world is quite intimidating and I did not want to call myself an artist because I was afraid someone would laugh or try to prove me wrong. Now that I have a little age on me, I don't care, laugh. I make art ergo I am an artist. As they say on classical raido "remember all music was once new" the same pertains to art and artists. Thank you, I am looking forward to learning from each and every one of you.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States
Re: Hello from Texas

Welcome to the community!
There is something here for every artist and all levels of expertise.
If you click on any of the words or phrases in my Signature line below you will find numerous helpful hints to assist you with some of the basics of the site, but if after reviewing them you need help, I encourage you to return here at any time, it's why we are here.
* You can access any Forum by using the “Forum Jump” located at the bottom right of the screen or the Channels Menu at the upper left.
* You must have a minimum of two posts prior to being able to upload an image
Enjoy exploring!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
The Colony, TX

Hails from United States

Welcome Marcie!! always nice to have another "texan" on board!!
http://markbrayart.blogspot.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 03:32 PM

Thank you, it is good to be here.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 AM
A WC! Legend
A Californian! Coming Home Soon!

Hails from United States

Welcome, Marcie. Enjoy your time at WetCanvas. Thanks for saying "Hello".

Gladys Marie "I'm somewhere...in the future...and I look much better than I look right now!" ...KIM CLEMENT
Too Much Of A Good Thing Is Wonderful!!! ...MAE WEST
*WETCANVAS MEMBER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD*