Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Oil Newbie – Palette + Brush Cleaning

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    paintrachel

Let me know if I’m on the right track…

I plan to start painting with oils (I have been painting for 10 years in acrylics), and I will be painting solvent free. Not open to reconsidering use of solvents.

As for cleaning my brushes, I will use either linseed oil or walnut oil, and finalize with soap and water (perhaps Master’s brush cleaner, or just Dawn detergent with warm water).

I am wondering 2 things:

1) Is it OK to pour the linseed/walnut oil into a mason jar and keep a lid on it when not in use? I’m worried that if there are paint particles in it, it could spontaneously combust? What do other people do in this circumstance?

2) Cleaning your palette – I will probably use plexiglass that I have already laying around. If you have excess paint after your session, can you just leave it overnight if you’re feeling lazy? If you need to save the paint, can you put that into a tupperware container with a lid?

Really just worried about starting a fire. Truly it is my biggest fear.

Delofasht

Please see recent oily rags discussion on the necessary steps to ignite linseed oil and how it largely does not apply to our handling of oils in painting. Tubes of oil paint and jars of oil do not auto ignite.

As for best cleaning method using oil, I have a video of how I do that on YouTube. I find using walnut oil works for me, but you can use a variety of oils. In fact, if you are using it solely for cleaning a brush at the end, the oil doesn’t even need to be a drying oil… you could use mineral oil or olive oil… whatever is cheap, and be sure to thoroughly wash the brush out with soap after. I actually just use my method in the video, and store the rinsed brush bristles suspended in oil with clips. I have had one brush in the jar for 4 years, and while worn down and the ferrule is chipped from scraping paint off the sides with my palette knife, it still works wonderfully for me in general use.

Choice of palette is really up to you, plexiglass however sometimes doesn’t clean up as easily as actual glass. Even cheaper is a piece of polished porcelain tile that you can get from the home improvement store for like 3 dollars. I have let paint dry on the palette and scraped it off with a glass cleaning razor blade I bought for $2 while I was there (it came with 6 replacement blades). You have lots of options with palettes and methods of cleaning them up.

- Delo Delofasht
            Richard P

2) It depends on the brand and pigments. Some pigments naturally dry very fast (prussian blue, burnt umber), while some dry very slowly (titanium white, quinacridone colours). Most manufacturers counter this by adding dryers to their colours.

If you store a palette in a closed box in the dark it will stay wet for longer. Some pigments and brands can stay open for a few weeks this way. Which means, you don’t have to scrape a palette, just wipe it off.

paintrachel

Thanks @ Delo and Richard for your responses.

Delo, I checked out your YouTube video. Thanks for sharing, the information and visual is helpful.

JCannon

Is it OK to pour the linseed/walnut oil into a mason jar and keep a lid on it when not in use? I’m worried that if there are paint particles in it, it could spontaneously combust?

No. Paint particles in walnut oil will not spontaneously combust.

Spontaneous combustion is primarily a concern when it comes to oily rags — and only if they dry while bunched up. Even then, the danger is posed by linseed oil, not walnut.

Cleaning your palette – I will probably use plexiglass that I have already laying around. If you have excess paint after your session, can you just leave it overnight if you’re feeling lazy? If you need to save the paint, can you put that into a tupperware container with a lid?

Sure, leave it. When you get annoyed by the build up of dried paint, scrape it off with a paint scraper. Cling wrap may help preserve the nuggets of paint from one session to the next.

Murphy’s oil soap is very good for cleaning brushes. Winsor Newton’s brush cleaner is recommended for particularly tough jobs. That said, I don’t think I could paint without Master’s Brush Cleaner.

contumacious

Most linseed oils dry way too fast for me to use for brush cleaning. It also dries up in the glass jar, even with the lid on. I prefer walnut oil for two reasons:

1 – Slower drying
                            2 – If I inadvertently leave too much in my brush when cleaning it won’t cause my paints to take months to dry like what CAN happen with some grocery store non drying oils.

Don’t leave any drying oil, including walnut, in your brushes for too long or you will end up with a gummy mess. Even non drying oils can gum up over time if left in your bristles. Just wipe them off and re-dip them every few days to keep them wet, or if you prefer, wash the oil out when done, with soap and water or your favorite water based brush cleaner.

Michael Lion

I recommend Holbein Duo Aqua oils if you don’t want to use solvents. That’s why they were created.

Squawktopoose

The trick to conserving leftover paint is to cover it (box with lid, plastic wrap over palette), and stick it in the freezer. It can’t oxidize at low temperatures, and a few minutes after you take it out, you can go back to work.

You can do this with brushes too, wipe the excess paint on a rag, and put them in cold storage. Just avoid letting any moisture get in (oil&water), and wipe them on a rag before painting again.

When you do clean your brushes, warm water and regular blue Dawn is all you need. Too many other cleaners will dissolve the glue keeping the bristles attached (OMS). You can also try the method of suspending your brushes in regular old vegetable oil, essentially never letting them dry as long as they live. I’ve heard of but never tried it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.