Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone How long does it take you to complete a drawing on your watercolor paper?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author

How long does it take for you to complete your drawing on your watercolor paper before beginning your painting?

I used to do a quick, light sketch on the paper indicating where the big shapes go which would only take me about 10 minutes or so. Now I am doing more careful drawings which are taking up to an hour to complete but my paintings are improving.

Before beginning the painting I tell myself, “Be willing to make BIG mistakes. Who cares how long the drawing took. Every time I do a drawing I am accomplishing a good daily exercise and improving my drawing skills.”

Anyway, how long does it take for you to complete your drawing?

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

Horsa

It depends on the subject, but I would guess at least 20 minutes to a half hour for a small (quarter sheet or less) painting.

My Painting Blog: http://adkpainter.blogspot.com/

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.

Andrew

Since my watercolor pieces are primarily sketches and color/value studies for works to be done later in oil or acrylic, my drawing time is minimal. Basically quick contours to get guidelines and proportion .

Andrew

"Never ascribe to malice what adequately can be explained as stupidity"
            - Robert J. Hanlon

“What a genius, that Picasso. It is a pity he doesn't paint.” - Marc Chagall

Depends on the subject but I usually do sketch and painting in my watercolours class. Same as Horsa I suppose 15 minutes average.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

virgil carter

C, I use a sketch book for pre-painting studies, and often spend a half-hour or so sketching various studies for almost every painting, regardless of size. I try to develop a final sketch with enough information to use as the source for painting, rather than the source material itself. This is the case whether painting from life, from photos or imagination.

Thus, the time to sketch outline shapes on the paper after using my sketch book is minimal–5 to 10 minutes generally speaking.

Sling paint,
                Virgil

Sling paint,
                Virgil Carter
                http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

friesin

for my watercolours I don’t need a detailed sketch. I just mark the rough shapes, sometimes shadows etc.
                    However, if I plan a watercolour with f.e a more difficult perspective I sketch it in my sketchbook until I am content.
                    BUT: you can bet all your money that that one is going to be a horrible watercolour :evil:
                    Thats why I don’t do ambitious sketches for watercolours ;)

juneto

On a Full sheet , Half -sheet or Quarter sheet?
                        It depends on the size , the intricacy , is it buildings , glass,portrait ???
                        Are you a detail oriented artist or quick skeletal?
                        Depends, ought to be added to the Poll .
                        june:wink2: :) :wave:

Follow your Bliss and the Universe will open doors for you , where there were only walls. Joseph Campbell

http://blogmomcom.blogspot.com/

molly007

When I first started WC 2 years ago, it could take several hours using the grid system etc. At first for a long time I was very detail oriented etc. For the last six months after a few workshops under my belt and I really am liking more artists that do a looser feel rather than just caputuring exactly what I see in a photo etc. I’m much looser and I edit a lot OUT of the things I see in front of me. Just last weekend while pleine airing it, I decided the bench/foliage etc. on the cliff over looking the ocean didn’t need the arbor I could actually see in reality in the scene I was painting. I knew it would work better without it right from the start, so it didn’t get drawn in. Ask yourself, what you are going to make the focus, focal point or area that you most want the viewer of the painting to see. Get rid of the extra stuff that is just too much and distracts from what you’ve chosen. That immediately puts me in a much looser drawing cutting down time. So, I’m a lot looser and much quicker. Even more so if I’m plein air painting. I’ve really tried to take the approach of less is more. When I was so detailed the edges were hard and not soft looking, I was overwhelmed with learning the media and all that goes with it.
                            Now that I’m just focusing on drawing shapes and getting values more on target, I take the approach of “I can always tighten it up later if I want to” or not….
                            Of course for buildings and stuff you’ve got the get the perspective right or you glaringly see, this isn’t working, later.
                            The more you draw the better it will get and the faster you get to actually putting paint to paper. Hang in there!
                            This is just my 2 cents mind you.
                            Nicole

I’ve been working on 9 X 12 inch blocks of Arches Watercolor paper.

However, when working in oils the size of the canvas doesn’t really matter since I do quick sketches with my brush to map out the big shapes. It takes me only about 10 minutes regardless of the canvas size. Since oil is such a forgiving medium you can change anything you want. Not so with watercolor.

On a Full sheet , Half -sheet or Quarter sheet?
                            It depends on the size , the intricacy , is it buildings , glass,portrait ???
                            Are you a detail oriented artist or quick skeletal?
                            Depends, ought to be added to the Poll .
                            june:wink2: :) :wave:

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

UNK

The trick is to get the painting going WITHOUT[/B] a drawing at all – this is impressionism at its best. Sure, do a lot of sketching and drawing on a pad before hand, work out shadows, colours, scales and the like. But draw with the brush as you paint. Otherwise, a detailed drawing makes you ” stay within the lines ” and nixes freedom to create and innovate as you move along. Watch some of the good shildren ( ages 7 to 10 ) as they paint and I’ll bet you not one of them draws first —- they simply begin. Sometimes kids will fill in a colouring book in which the drawing is already printed and look at the dullness of that outcome. uggh![/COLOR]

Most of thre artists I admire simply paint right off the bat or will occasionally draw if teaching a class simply to explain and make what they are doing clearer to students.

Frankly, one line of the actual watercolour paper is one line too many.

However, I will concede that ships, rigging, and other stuff do require an under drawing since reality is being striven for. But for ture impressionism – just brush right in.

UNK

I can’t agree with you Wilf. You do what you do very well, but your style doesn’t suit everyone.

I like a detailed sketch and a detailed painting.

Doug

Aderynglas

It really depends on the subject.

If I’m doing a Botanical Portrait it might take an hour or two, in addition to the sketches that I make to determine perspective and accurate portrayal of structure.

On the other hand, if I paint one of my dogs I might just go straight for the paints with no under drawing and let the painting grow. A portrait of someone else’s dog would need several drawings and an underdrawing.

I find though, the more I draw from life the quicker and more accurate I have become.

UNK

I didn’t mean to imply that fast and loose and no sketching should become an enacted law dictating that everyone must follow this route. It was simply my observation from my own artistic platform. …nothing more.

After all, debate only occurs when a subject is looked at from multiple points of view – and – it seemed to me that nobody had yet touched on no drawing at all. Hence. I threw my two cents worth into the arena ( or maybe iit was more like a throwing a spanner into the works ).

Yes drawing is the basis of great art – no denying it. My point really was that there was an alternative at the other end of the spectrum – namely painting with brush only.

Freedom of choice, freedom to opine always prevail.

UNK

:thumbsup: Agreed Wilf, I just can’t do what you do, I suppose sketching is my strong point.

Doug

I try to emulate Charles Reids method of modified contour drawing. I don’t do it nearly as well as he does but keep trying:crossfingers: . This doesn’t involve an intricate drawing in order to produce a `loose’ painting. I’ve found the more detailed the drawing the result can be a `tight’ painting. Naturally there are those who prefer that sort of very realistic drawing/painting but I don’t. One young lady in an article in The Artist magazine a while ago produces very detailed drawings of the famous town of Bath close to my home. On some days she only does a square inch!:eek: That’s dedication or is it?

As for time approx 20-30 minutes for a 16″ x 12″. This includes planning and contemplation not just moving the pencil about.

Peter:)

`loosening up is a state of the mind not a state of the brush' - Charles Reid

"The Watercolour Log"
                                        www.watercolourfanatic.blogspot.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.