Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Understanding Paper Dampness

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LuckyLaura

As a beginner, one of the more difficult things for me to learn is how water on the paper and water on the brush interact. Recently, though, I have found a few things that have made this a lot clearer for me so I wanted to share in case other beginners also struggle with the wetness of the paper, the exchange of water and pigment, etc.

One REALLY helpful post by Char in the “Tide marks acceptable?” thread.

Also, these videos by Hazel Sloan have been very informative and help demonstrate this idea in visual format (though Char explained the same thing more succinctly!)

https://youtu.be/EVfNMLaxLbs?t=3m
        https://youtu.be/y4s4RGawZdA

I would love to hear from anyone else if they have any understandings or breakthroughs on this topic. As everyone says, we’re always learning!

janinep7

I recently did this little experiment varying the wetness/dryness of the brush and paper to see what would happen. I wish I’d used better paper but you can kind of see the idea.

LuckyLaura

Great idea for an exercise! Demonstrates this idea well. Thanks for sharing, Janine. :)

FLNH

There are many ways to describe the relationship of wetness of brush and paper…Zbukvics water clock is an elegant example.

My working method is very simple: water will tend to flow from wetter to drier. If the brush and its contents are wetter than the paper, then the water will flow to the paper and produce a blossom. If the brush and its paint are drier than the paper, you can paint without worrying about producing a blossom as the water will go from paper to brush ( theoretically).

From a practical point of view, if my brush is pretty wet then I have to wait for the paper to dry some if I do not wish to produce a blossom. Or, I can blot my brush to reduce the water content so I can paint on wetter paper.

In my simple mind, the only variable is the water so I don’t really have to think about water paint ratios, etc. from a practical point of view.

It is a gimmick but it works for me.

Karl
                    Florida, New Hampshire
                    USA

hblenkle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxhiDejQlP4

Stan Miller shows about wetness on the paper, brush, and palette. He forgot to mention that old dry paint in the palette can be softened by a misting of water or adding drops of water to the well and let sit for a few minutes.

My “Aha!” moment came while reading Ewa Karpinska‘s book, Wet-on-Wet Watercolour Painting: A Complete Guide to Techniques and Materials, 1st Edition. Unfortunately, the price of this book has reached for the sky and it’s too expensive to recommend. Borrow it from the Library, though.

I took it with me everywhere and read it cover to cover. I did the exercises – at least twice, and in some cases three times. If you want to understand the why’s and wherefores of how things work, then you have to do the work! Honestly, it really isn’t work because as the knowledge sinks in, it becomes easier and more fun!

I digress… Handprint, while becoming something of a white elephant because it hasn’t been updated in 12 years, is still a wealth of information. Here, you can read the Six Stages of Paper Wetness that’s a useful article.

As Karl mentioned, the variable is definitely the water. Using it to your advantage will elevate your work!

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

indraneel

Jean Louis Morelle’s book is also very good and more affordable. He was Ewa Karpinska’s teacher (I think…) and the book titles are similiar, and contains a lot of Karpinska’s works as demos in it. Definitely a different approach to wet on wet and very eye opening, but probably can be summed up in one word… experimentation. Play with water, pigments, brush capacity etc to both put in and remove pigments and water and one can figure out all there is to know…. that’s just in case the book is outside one’s financial reach… The book also has a very solid bit of color theory and other techniques including dry techniques, but it does recommend starting with wet techniques before practicing dry.

Jean Louis Morelle’s books are every bit as expensive… Check out this one on Amazon.ca…

I agree that experimentation is key… but taking notes and learning to duplicate results is equally essential!

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

SteveBerry

I agree that Karpinskas book is well worth the read. It’s far more detailed and technical than most art books, which I find often read like coffee table books, and aren’t really there to teach you a whole lot. Not so for this book! She talks a lot about assessing the wetness of the paper through different visual and tactile clues, and gives you input about affects you can schedule at those different stages. There are also many detailed pics that are very illustrative. I can see why it’s out of print- it’s far too useful to casually read.

Of course, pure experimentation is also required. How else can you figure it out? My advice is to get a couple of full sheets, and divide them into something small like 1/16 sheets. Small stuff- 7.5″ X 5.5″. The goal is experiment and test over and over again, without the worry of applying it to a “real” painting. Then you can assess stuff- How wet is your brush? How wet is your paper? Are you just adding water to the edge of the paint, or do you have pigment on your brush as well? What if you lay paint down and then let new paint merge from up above? What if you put paint down, and then soften the bottom edge? Paint can creep up and paint can creep down. What if the paint on your brush is really thick and goopy? Etc etc Water and pigment act differently situationally.

Figuring out that timing and understanding that wetnes, and the affect you’ll get- that confidence to apply the technique and to not screw up your painting comes from experience. But I think books like Karpinska’s book give you a very good starting point about the tools you might need, the affects you might be able to achieve, and the lessons you might apply.

indraneel

Jean Louis Morelle’s books are every bit as expensive… [URL=http://www.amazon.ca/Watercolor-Painting-Techniques-Jean-Louis-2003-10-28/dp/B019NE35NW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1453209434&sr=8-4&keywords=jean-louis+morelle]Check out this one[/URL] on Amazon.ca…

I agree that experimentation is key… but taking notes and learning to duplicate results is equally essential!

Here’s this http://www.amazon.com/Watercolor-Painting-Complete-Techniques-Materials/dp/1843305216 more pocket friendly, but still expensive. Could you please post a photo of the table of contents, so I can guess what I’m missing, compared to JLM’s book?

edit: here’s the contents of JLM’s book

reikiart

I think it’s a learning process, you play around with it, experiment, and eventually you learn to control it (most of the time :) ), and even when you can’t control it, you learn to love all those happy little accidents. but it’s also helpful to remember, too, that it changes with the various types of paper.

[FONT=Georgia]
                                        [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                                        shadye1

I was searching for a book with a good explanation of wet in wet and came across this from Handprint.
                                            http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/wet1.html

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.