WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2019, 05:37 PM

Gelly Roll pens on top of acrylic and / or watercolors?

Hi all. I am brand-new to these forums and hoping you can advise me. I hope this is the correct board (If not and someone knows where it should go, please let me know).

I'm a writer who's has been trying to add my work on top of the paintings I've done. I sometimes use acrylics, but mostly watercolor. Lately, I've used both watercolor postcards and handmade paper as my mediums.

Since I'm new at this and didn't know where to start, I went to my local art store and explained what I wanted to do. The employee there told me to buy some clear gesso, do the painting work, then apply another level of gesso and do the writing after it had dried.

I spent a lot of time looking for pens that will write on top of paint, and the name I saw most consistently was Gelly Roll (specifically, the Moonlight, Classic, and Souffle sets), including on this forum.

I've done a few postcards and one piece on handmade paper, but I'm clearly not doing this right. The pens have to dig into the cards to make any kind of impact, and I'm sure that's bad for the cards, the pens, AND my hand.

So my question - is it possible to write with the Gelly Rolls I have got on top of watercolor? Should I try acrylics instead? Did the employee at the art store give me bad information, or an I just doing it wrong?

I read this morning that some people use acrylic ink and a very fine applicator for writing (my work is usually 200-600 words, so it's a lot for a painting). My budget is very limited, and I know those inks can be expensive...and I've already got all these pens!

Would appreciate any and all assistance, and I thank you for your time reading.

Joseph
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2019, 07:34 PM

Re: Gelly Roll pens on top of acrylic and / or watercolors?

I have a white gelly roll pen and a white uniball signo broad gel pen and they both work fine over watercolor or acrylic ink. Can't attest to other colors.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2019, 09:29 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Another option is white Posca fine point markers.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2019, 10:45 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Welcome!

I use white gelly roll pens and a pink one and they write on anything. Sometimes the little ball gets clogged so I just move it around on scrap paper to get the color flowing again. I use them on any media.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2019, 07:29 PM

I use the white gelly roll pen over watercolor with no problems...no gesso required. Sometimes I have to do a couple of layers with it if I'm using it over a really dark color, letting it dry completely between applications. But usually once is enough.

Amy