WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2018, 11:38 AM
WC! Guide
New York City

Hails from Puerto Rico
Re: MAY Plant Parade Challenge

Good morning everyone, another beautiful day here in N.Y. Finally finished my entries for today. Such lovely paintings already.
Viv, Lovely work, how do you blend your acrylics so well?
Shane, lovely bright colors in your acrylic paintings.
Ladysue, love your tulips, they don't last long do they.
Margueretta, Love your flowers, beautifully done.
Christel, lovely daffodils and how do you paint those autumn leaves? Great
Well, here are mine also done in acrylics on Strathmore w/c paper.

Have to admit that I went over the leaves with my pitt brush pen.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2018, 01:32 PM
Torino, Italy

Hails from Italy

Awesome works everyone!
Here's my try with the apples.
It's blue pencil on my sketchbook

Feel free to comment
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Lil - love both your daffodils and leaves.
Paolo - great drawing, well done.
Margaretta - cool bluebells. It must have taken ages to paint all those flowers.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2018, 03:27 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Thanks Vivian for Hosting.So far such nice work of art.I did A Red Trillium.My Own Photo,(They grow a lot on our property) 5x7 WC C&C Welcome Thanks Imelda.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2018, 06:56 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Awesome work from everyone!

Christel - Beautiful daffodils and how did you paint those Autumn leaves? Did you paint the leaves themselves on the tree or did you paint them on paper and stick them on? Intriguing? However you did them they are terrific!

Margaretta - What beautiful, realistic Bluebells! Beautifully painted in acrylics!
Thanks for adding how you made your greens. I wrote mine down like you, but unlike you, I threw my piece of paper out which had them written on! It's crazy making greens isn't it! I used practically every color I had making mine.

LadySue - Thanks for turning your tulips drawing because they are so beautifully rendered in colored-pencil! Lovely work!

Lil - Lovely daffodils and I like the pen-work on your Autumn leaves! Beautiful!
Thanks for your comments on my acrylic blending, but I really struggle with blending acrylics - it is so difficult! Every way I try seems to be worse than the last attempt. I never knew acrylics would be so difficult for me. I've been trying to practice but I'm obviously going to have to practice more!

Paolo - Oh I do like your blue drawing of the apples and leaves! Super drawing! Beautiful!

Rundun - A beautiful Red Trillium! Love it!
I was hoping someone would paint the Trillium! You are so lucky to have red Trilliums. The photo of my red Trillium was from last year's Spring and I've worried I've lost it. I have no problem growing white Trilliums but always have had trouble growing red ones for some reason.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2018, 08:33 PM

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2018, 11:06 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

I'll post my work(s) first then return to comment.
I was determined to do the picture justice ... and I kept trying. All of these are from the same ref, all are approx. 5x8"

PanPastel and charcoal pencil

I have only red/yellow/blue/white/black in pastels. Green was ... non existant. This did NOT turn out how I wanted. So I tried again. With a WC bg and underpainting.

Better, but did not seem to allow me to do the detail I wanted. So I tried again, this time a more detailed underpainting with wc and inktense. Leaves are pastel; centre is inktense:

And finally, abandoning the pastel - this is some wc but mostly inktense:

Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2018, 11:13 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Viv - such vibrant colours! Love the greens and the dark bg for the daffs ... and the fall colours on the leaves

Shane - the first one is so juicy - is it on Yupo? The second is so delicate

Ladysue - so much sun on those petals! Yum!

Christel - oooh you make pastels behave so well. How did you do those leaves in acrylics? Looks so good!

Margaretta - lovely bluebells and that's great that you included your notes on mixing greens.

Lil - lovely work - both! I'm partial to the fall leaves due to the style with the outlining... mmmm

Paolo - that is so cool in blue!!

Rundun - lovely shine on those petals!!

tam-tam - so cool - feels like those dandilions could tell a story
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2018, 11:33 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Good work everyone!
Here is mine 11x15 watercolor (an older one as I am away on holiday):

BBL to comment on other works
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2018, 12:40 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Rundun - beautiful trillium!
TamTam - gorgeous!
EP - lovely studies. Nice to see you using pastels too.
Kay - beautiful.
Thanks everyone for the comments on mine. Painting leaves on paper with ac is easy! Just make sure to draw out the whole leaf (top view) cut out, paint, glue on stems and branch, paint again, and carefully coax the paper into positions you want them to be. Finally rest the branch in a real tree and take photo.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2018, 09:42 AM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Hails from United Kingdom

Viv - I agree with Christel, you are definitely mastering the acrylics. Love those vivid colours in both of these. There are some lovely details in the leaf painting and the greens in the daffodil painting are very good.

Shane - very good, lively paintings and good clean colours. Both very pleasing to look at.

Ladysue - beautiful tulips. Lovely detail in those petals and there is a nice sense of depth to the piece.

Christel - lovely daffodils and I really like that contrasting background. the leaves are very creative and very well done, I really want to try this now!

Margaretta - beautiful bluebell painting. I love those subtle colour changes in the flowers and the background, and the leaves are wonderful. The bluebells I planted have only just started to flower!

Lil - lovely close crop of the daffodils. Love the shapes in the leaf picture too and the selective colouring to bring the foreground leaves forward.

Paolo - love this blue study. I especially like how you've shading it with all the lines running in the same direction. That looks tricky to me!

Imelda - lovely watercolour - love those delicate colours and the light on the petals.

Tam-tam - love this dandelion painting, those details and textures make it really special.

E. P. - I like all of these! You did a good job of the pastels and mixed some really nice colours.

Kay - lovely bright daffodils. Like the negative painting and the rich background works really well against those white petals.

The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do - Rowland Emett
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2018, 09:50 AM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Here's my entry. I sat in the garden with my paints on a sunny day and painted my apple blossom (it's mostly all gone now). It was really enjoyable and I need to paint in my garden more often! It's done with Schmincke watercolours on hot press paper, size A5. The green is a mix of permanent green olive, ultramarine blue and a touch of permanent carmine. As usual the colours haven't translated very accurately.

The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do - Rowland Emett
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2018, 01:02 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Beautiful Kay!. Your photo is overexposed. Just bring down the highlights until it's more like your painting?
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2018, 01:17 PM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Thanks Christel. I think the problem might be my monitor, as viewing it on my phone it looks strangely yellow but on my monitor it looks fine except the greens are too blue ... I might have to view it on a third device to see what that tells me.

#75   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2018, 01:22 PM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Yep, it looks yellow on an ipad as well ... Oh dear!