Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bizzibee

First post in Floral & Botanical – I have been painting in oils since January, and usually paint landscapes. This is my first attempt at painting flowers.

In the course of painting this, I learned a few important lessons:

1. It’s not a good idea to start painting flowers when they are two weeks old!

2. I painted the flowers too far over to the right, so inserted a fictitious window in the background to balance things out!
        3. The actual vase is “embossed”, for want of a better word, and the dark lines you see on it in the painting are the shadows from light falling upon its layered surface. I found this very difficult to convincingly capture!

Primary medium: oils
        Primary surface: board
        Dimensions: 12 * 18
        Year created: 2018
        Digital alterations are permitted.
        C&C welcome and appreciated.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Welcome to the floral forum. I think this is a good start in oils of which I’m no expert in. Like the flowers and the addition of the window is okay but I think you could’ve left it out. It draws attention away from the vase but that’s only my opinion.

LIL

Bizzibee

Thank you for your comments Artsymum. I do agree with you about the window but once it was too big an effort to take it out! Onwards and upwards.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Pristine and pretty! I’ve done the same window trick before and it works!
            Welcome to the forum!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Bizzibee

KreativeK thank you for taking the time to post your lovely comments. The fact I have used the same trick as a professional is good to hear!

Welcome here!
                First floral? … well done! The flowers fill the space well, so I’d leave the window out another time!
                The flower observation is good so apply that the vase and you’ll soon have less frustration with it!!!
                Well done!
                Why not join us for our Plant Parade challenge each month? It’s always a sticky near the top of the forum.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Bizzibee

Thank you for your encouraging comments, which mean all the more to me coming as I do from the north east of England and being a mum to a ‘Charlie’! I will take up you offer to join the Plant Parade.

Ooh – lovely!
                    Where are you? – PM me if you’d rather not post here!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.