Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Ok….I messed up how can I fix it???

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    TxAggieDarlin

I have messed up my sky in my painting….I don’t know how to correct it…

Can I gesso the area I don’t like and somehow blend it to what I do like? How do you fix goofs??

:eek:

gnu

hiya Tx..well without seeing your painting it’s hard to say specifically, but If you can figure out/remember how you did the bits you’d like to keep, it’s really better to start the whole sky again..either just paint over it in white, or whatever coloured canvas(ground ) you started with, or if thick textured paint, sand it a little and then paint over.
            I try to get my whole sky/background complete first if it’s a big expanse and not touch it again..the very first lessons I discovered for myself when first starting out in acrylics..
            PS, I don’t own any gesso..so I never use it for this purpose, I buy gessoed canvases..
            you could also try work in in layers to see if that suits you..then you can add to the top layers whcih will blend in the mistakes, unless you have lots of contrast..
            Gill

damar

Hi gnu, Hang in there! I have gesso’d over area’s and repainted them. You don’t want to go heavy with the gesso–just enough to ghost-out the problem, or you’ll have a surface texture inconsistancy with the rest of the canvas/painting. I gesso over just enough of the color to not distract me during the correction.
                It may not be as bad as you think–can you post a pic? (you don’t have to, but sometimes a small mistake looks HUGE if we over-focus on it).
                I have one on my easel right now that may get a gesso correction. I’m working around the area and will see how it looks when finsihed.
                Sometimes the mistake is not a “paint mistake”, but a “glitch in expectation”.

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
                Photos are ©2021
                damar

ooops–sorry TX, I called you gnu (Hi gnu!)

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
                    Photos are ©2021

I try to get my whole sky/background complete first if it’s a big expanse and not touch it again..the very first lessons I discovered for myself when first starting out in acrylics..(gnu)

Oh this is good advice – as I know to my cost!!!!! :crying:

Follow gnu’s advice from the rest of her post too and you may be able to rescue it.
                    My own recent attempt to paint over a bk/gd again and again because I hadn’t got it right first time led to me cutting and peeling………don’t ask!!!!!!!!

My lesson? Think about the bk/gd much more carefully in the beginning!!!!! ;)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Quiet

*shrug* It happens. Paint over it. The extra layers of paint may even contribute to the final product.

Give back to your community - be a virtual mentor! http://www.icouldbe.org/start.asp

joa

The painting I’m working on now (for Fall Up Top project) has had the bacground changed 2 times, and the foreground once (getting ready to do that again!). I don’t paint thick, so I just paint over what I don’t like. If I have to do it a bunch of times , it won’t matter.

HRH Goldie

Boy oh boy – you’re talking to the expert when it comes to mucking up sky lol!
                                There is a thread running at the moment in acrylics regarding my castle painting of Galloway castle. One of the main focuses was supposed to be the sky.
                                I have lost count at the amount of times I’ve repainted, first of all don’t panic.
                                Secondly I don’t actually use gesso to paint over mistakes unless it is the whole piece. You will be adding as someone has said a texture or roughness to the surface – that after all is the point of gesso. You would be better off painting over in white preferably artist quality as it is more opaque than student quality. Or if there is a pale colour that you have mixed with white just use that. Although this can sometimes confuse.
                                I have found out to my own personal cost that when we start to paint skies will be the easiest. Take it from me they’re not – what I do believe is that once it clicks it is like riding a bike and you remember the next time how to do things!
                                I think dark skies like sunsets with a lot of the dark blues to almost black are the hardest for blending and making it look realistic.
                                It is not impossible but more difficult if you have painted in the rest – if there is something on the sky line use masking fluid to block it out so you can concentrate on the sky.
                                Good luck and we won’t bite here lol so don’t be afraid to post and the good people here will help all they can.

Christine

https://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=39369
                                Christine - HRH Goldie :c
                                www.christinetimson.com
                                [FONT=Century Gothic]"So much to paint and so little time..."

Marty C

Without seeing your work it’s a little hard to give specifics.
                                    When appraoching skies or water I always adopt a layering approach – applying a thin wash of appropriate colour, let it dry, do another and so on. This gradually builds up colour and adds depth and often interesting variations in value. It is also good for blending wet in wet for sky gradations.
                                    For your problem, I would suggest going over the sky with your predominant sky colour, adding progressive layers and observing the effects with each layer. You might be pleasantly surprised at the depth you will generate.

TxAggieDarlin

Thank you all very much.

Actually the picture is the one I posted here…My second acrylic.

I was trying to darken the right and left part of the sky and OMgoodness, I went way out there. I have lightened it up…………NOW the darn thing is full of clouds LOL……..I appreciate the comments from those that have…”MUCKED UP” I laughed with that so I am ready to go face it again…I think!!!………BTW…….skies are hard :D

HRH Goldie

Lol! You’ve got the right attitude now anyhow – so you’re halfway there.
                                            Good luck and keep us posted. :wave:

Christine

https://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=39369
                                            Christine - HRH Goldie :c
                                            www.christinetimson.com
                                            [FONT=Century Gothic]"So much to paint and so little time..."

piazzi

You would be better off painting over in white preferably artist quality as it is more opaque than student quality. Or if there is a pale colour that you have mixed with white just use that.
                                                Christine

I also prefer this to using gesso, unless you want to have a complete start over the painting

Mark Newton

Painting is about altering until it is the way you want it, there is no such thing as mucking up. When you started you covered up the base coat and so on. I continuously add or subtract paint until I have what I am happy with, it’s never a muck up so to speak. A muck up is when the dog jumps on it with wet feet…..that’s a muck up. :mad:

It’s acrylic, just paint over it, either with a dry brush a little at a time for lots of control, or swathe the whole thing in new wet paint….its up to you, either method will take you back to the alteration process. Good luck.

Mark Newton
                                                    Adelaide, Australia

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘Ok….I messed up how can I fix it???’ is closed to new replies.