WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2013, 06:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States
Re: The Hobbies of Artists

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive oyl
Well, it looks like I'm now going to have a lot more leisure time for hobbies, and painting and yoga and reading.

I just got laid off!

I know the feeling. I've lost 6 jobs and have been homeless twice between 2008 and 2012. Depending on the state you live in, your education, and your need for money, look into the schools systems for their paid substitute programs. Obviously if you need a ton of money to sustain your lifestyle, this might not be right for you. I am a sub with a college degree and make about 70 dollars per day I work. That is actually enough for me. It is hustling a bit for jobs, but I can work every day if I want, or not.

Keep up the positive energy.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2013, 06:37 AM
olive oyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use Her Name
Keep up the positive energy.

Thanks, Catherine. I intend to.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2013, 03:51 AM

Hails from Finland

I feel a bit out of place in this topic with my hobby. I've been playing computer games for around 21 years now. It all started when my big brothers got a Commodore 62 when I was around 6 years old. That machine was such a marvel. A real wonder of technology during that time. Later we got an Amiga 500 and then eventually a PC when I was around 12 years old.

I eventually tried out a fantasy game called Baldur's Gate and haven't looked back since. Since then I've played a lot of different fantasy games and have enjoyed great game franchises like the Elder Scrolls series, Dragon Age series and Mass Effect series. I also played WoW for 6 years. I've also played other MMOs but Guild Wars is the only game that I played for longer. I'm now trying to get back to Guild Wars 2.

The awesome thing about games is that they are an incredible source of inspiration. The bad thing is that they take up a lot of time. Especially MMOs. I actually cut my gaming back rather heavily in order to get back to art. But I still play single player games to get some inspiration.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
western New York

Hails from United States

Many years ago, art used to be my hobby; then it became a primary source of income. Now, many years past that, it has become a hobby again. Gardening used to be a hobby, too. Now that I produce almost all of my fruit and vegetables here, it's no longer a hobby, but a job.

I've always liked to sew, that and art are my main hobbies now.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2013, 05:22 PM
North East England

Hails from United Kingdom

Well my main hobby has always been photography, something that began when I was about 11.
Another long established hobby is astronomy, although I've never had a true astro scope, you can see an awful lot with binoculars!

But I tend to collect hobbies! I find something new that interests me and suddenly I'm all in. Going to the library or googling to find out all about it.
Obsessive hobbyist!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Portland Oregon

Hails from United States

Hope you find what you're looking for Olive, if you haven't already

Great topic! I will try anything new. SO I've done tons....new seems to be my hobby. Can that BE a hobby? Right now I'm into trends and fashion. I keep thinking I want to work at the mall in retail, to which my brother, who I'm in business with, tells me YOU DON'T!

Last weekend I took senior pictures for my friends daughter's year book. That was going to be my new hobby until I realized I know nothing about photography. The pictures were good but not great and to really do photography justice you REALLY need an education, or at least a passion to learn everything about it. HA!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Langley, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

I paint, draw, sing and run.

Other than that, my life is mostly spent socializing - which I could really consider a hobby. I love it, and I do it for fun on the side.

I guess another hobby I have is playing Pokémon (I don't care if I'm too old!) and I'm learning Spanish (took level 1100 in school).

I know a bit of musical stuff like guitar - love to horseback ride (English).

Suck at plants, used to write but don't anymore. Recently started to ice skate but I think that's a really weather permitting hobby.

Drinking booze? Sometimes a hobby.

I guess I love doing my makeup in the morning too, and like - painting my nails or whatever. Is that a hobby too? I don't know.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Marathon, Florida( middle Keys)

Hails from United States

I love to garden, two years ago when we moved to the Keys, a top item on my "must have" list when we were house-hunting was a decent outdoor space. Now my backyard is filled with tropical plants, palms, bromeliads, and orchids... It is my oasis! I also enjoy activities in and on the water... Snorkeling, kayaking, paddleboarding , and just cruising around the islands in our small boat.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2013, 03:53 PM
A Local Legend
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

Quote:
Yay. Something to talk about.

I'll second that! Most of my hobbies are art related - photography and such. But I love to cook and bake. I hope that counts, and I might turn it into a 10-12 hour a week job if I can. Can't and don't want more than that; I need my art to keep me sane.

OH I thought of another thing - singing. I love to sing. In private, I am atrocious at it - not being humble here - I honestly could cause your ears to bleed. In fact I think people might be willing to pay me to NOT sing. Which is why painting is wonderfully solitary; I can sing to my hearts content. I can't remember how old I am or what I had for lunch, but I know lyrics from a trillion songs from the last 3 or 4 decades. I swear the educational system in any country would be greatly improved by making all subjects into songs. Singing history lessons and the multiplication tables. If the schools had done that I'd have been proclaimed a profound genius.

Quote:
If they could knock off say, 10K each of their 140K salaries (boss 400K), they could keep me for half of what they pay me now. Haha...silly me. There's no way I'm THAT valuable to them! Anyway, they'll miss me (prediction) because my work load will be redistributed and foisted onto already stressed and overworked staff. It sucks I have only 4 days to "clean out" 8 years of brain data, though. Can't do it in that little time and so, I'll walk away with lots of useless secrets and they'll have to reinvent the wheel trying to figure it all out.

Oh well. Thanks for allowing a rant and a vent.

It's done and surprisingly, I feel fine.

Already moving on.....

Great attitude! At my old job I lasted through 5 firing rounds of 50% cuts in each. By the end the amount of extra work and stress on the "remainders" was beyond awful. So I got sick instead, and then the company waited 7 months for me to improve before firing me. What a gift that was. Best thing that ever happened to me. I hope this turns out to be a blessing in disguise for you.

http://www.artallison.com/

Last edited by AllisonR : 12-13-2013 at 03:58 PM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2013, 01:27 AM
Immortalized
Ventura, California

Hails from United States

I'm a wiggly person.

Reading history and biographies.
Writing my book.
Writing my blogs (all the things I have learned in life).
Taking photos to paint from.
Gardening.
Swing dancing.
Talking.

http://www.carolynspaintblog.blogspot.com/
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 AM
A Local Legend
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Is trying to motivate or inspire people a hobby? If so, that's something I really love doing when it's possible. That probably sounds or comes off sounding weird, or conceited, or something like that, but I don't mean it to. I just like to help people, no, artists, find more gusto and happiness about their own work.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2013, 02:46 AM
FoxEnova

We love to sing, doing Karaoke shows & DJ-ing at the local clubs was my favorite long time hobby. I also always enjoyed remodeling my house(s), not sure if that can be called a hobby. It is still my favorite thing to do besides painting, although now the labor part has been past down to the hired help. Things change with age, retirement and health issues, so for me hobbies have changed to a less physical pastime, like painting....more .
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Santa Clarita, Ca

Hails from United States

Interesting thread, I often wonder what other people do in their down time to relax and regenerate.
I like to do something aggressive, it completely relaxes me when I am finished. About five years ago I started practicing Muay Thai and I absolutely love it. It is fighting using kicks, punches, knees and elbows. There is nothing like punching and kicking something to release aggression, and sparring is so much fun. I find that I don't have time to worry or think about anything other than the moment because a good crack in the face when you are too slow or not focused will really get your attention. I also run and lift weights.
I find that being very physical is absolutely necessary, more so now than ever before. Sitting so much for work and stress really takes a toll. I am so thankful every day for my health.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
NJ, USA

Hails from United States

My main non-art hobby is gardening. Recently, I joined my church bell choir and am enjoying that. It gets me out of my usual mindset and out into a social situation with others, and exercises parts of my brain I hadn't used in quite a while.

Dedicated to wasting bandwidth since 1999.

http://www.jeffgola.com
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 PM
WC! Guide
Illinois

Hails from United States

The most unique hobby that I have is listening to two-way communications from aircraft. I also like to read, write (write books, that is), and program (program computers, that is). If I could afford a telescope (), I'd probably be into astronomy, too. I guess you could say that I have lots of hobbies. I'm never bored.