WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2014, 05:54 PM

Smile How would you approach this?

Hi. I'd like to oil paint Hans Gude's Vinterettermiddage . How would you approach it? More specifically, how would you apply the paint? It seems like there is blue and red. Applied with a glaze, one on top of the other? i'm new and still learning, anything would help. tHOUGH, I am a great fan of color theory
mucho gravitas!

ps. if this isn't the appropriate forum, plz let me know where I can repost?

Last edited by vmrs : 01-09-2014 at 11:08 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 AM

Re: How would you approach this?

Hi, thanks for fixing my message, vmrs.

On another note, I don't know how it happened but the link to the picture is not the one I intended to post. The REAL pictures is this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ha...ddag--1847.jpg (a snow scene with a guy about to plunge down a hill towards a cabin. yeah, it's pretty cool, check it out if you dare)

Would you like to check it out? It's a nice picture. One in which I hope to paint soon! How would you approach it? Here's my plan so far:

1. basic charcoal outline
2. tonal painting in a brownish red (or do you think greyish blue?)
3. then I'll start the first paint layers, let's say blue for the snow...then glaze over with the opposite color, let's say red for the sun's reflection. Or do you recommend another paint style? That's where my question lies! Viola. Do you have an opinion?? Much ablidged
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2014, 01:28 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

any sketching for landscapes, in my world, are done with thinned paint, yellow ochre (it stains the least and covers the best). if you're going to paint, paint - charcoal is picked up by the paint and it alters, dirties, in a grey way and it will show in the sky (yellows) especially. control your dirty.

so, paint ... sky first, get that clean bright yellow, dirty it with reds (cadmium) and purples (ultra blue), go for softness ... mid ground looks purple, edging into blue, a titch of cooler blue perhaps added with mountains; foreground looks purple to blue purple to black (not literal black, use darkest dark, a purple/blue) ... warm darks in the cabins perhaps

nice piece, good challenge

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek

Last edited by La_ : 01-12-2014 at 01:50 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2014, 01:37 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

or ... i just looked at the first link and think, wow, much as it's a wee bit less 'cheery', being that you're new a this, you'd learn a whole lot more about values by painting it.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2014, 02:08 PM

Wow, thanks so much for your recommendations!!! I will keep them as notes

Maybe you are right, I should start on the first painting...maybe there's a sign behind this error. I was also thinking of doing the winterscene in photoshop, find the tonal values, if possible. Then glaze over the tones. I think the way you are describing the painting is to mix colors and not do any glazes?

My time is severely limited, after all, and what is art but the reflection of a person's time? Thanks again, my friend
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

well, yes, you have to start somewhere so to mix the basics of what you need and get a first coat on, 'blocking in' it's called, is the way to start. you can't glaze what isn't there, right

do look through some posts in the works in progress forum - pick (any) threads (but especially those) with lots of posts and see how others build up their layers of paint.

for a beginner, think about at Least two coats of paint - first coat for blocking in, find all the basic shapes and tonal values of everything, note which edges are soft, which edges are sharp. that can all be done as washes (thinned paint) and built up with un-thinned paint as you decide the shapes are correct.

second coats adjust, heighten, give more depth to everything and can be glazed or heavier. a third coat can be more gentle glazes to bring in extra color or tone or focus.

la
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 PM

Thanks once again, La. Plz do forgive me if I replied "late" to your most-excellent recommendation - whiich I will follow. I've already checked out the other forum on works in progress, that really helped. I decided to change my picture to one my Mahmoud Farschian, titled "Guarantor of the Gazelle".

http://farshchian.deviantart.com/art...zelle-48626939

The artist did it in acrylics but I want to do it in oil. I wonder if you have any input on problems in doing it in oil? Oil is really nice