Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Any Sources of Hooker’s Green (PG8) in Oils?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bokaba

Are there any sources of Hooker’s Green (PG8) in any oil paints? There are a few in water color and acrylic, but there appear to not be in any oil. The only current choices I could find are the Obsidian and Sap Green from the Maimeri Mediterranean line (which have added grit apparently). Another source, Maimeri’s HD oils, appear to be have been discontinued as well.

contumacious

Some interesting reading on this site:

http://www.artiscreation.com/green.html#PG8

They list the historical name of this pigment as Nitroso Green.

[INDENT]No longer in production was one of the oldest chelate-based pigments;

Very beautiful rich deep dark green color, in hue, it makes an excellent substitute for hookers green*, unfortunately it has very marginal lightfastness;
            Affected by acids.;

* Traditional pigment Hooker’s green was a mixture of Prussian Blue and Gamboge;[/INDENT]

Harold Roth
                ~JMW~

Do you really need that specific color?
                    There are many ways to mix to get close to any related color..
                    A quick Google found these…
                    https://www.cheapjoes.com/daniel-smith-original-oil-color-hooker-s-green-37-ml.html
                    https://www.dickblick.com/items/00849-7120/

~Joy~

Delofasht

Pebeo over on Blick seems to carry it in huge tubes, but looks to be a “Studio” quality (for color studies and preparatory paintings before doing a finished work).

That said, I personally just mixing up this hue with PY110 + PB27. It is a beautiful hue, and this handles in very much the same way as the PG8 pigment itself. You can use PB60 to get there as well, but results from that will tint out less vibrantly. Either mix will need to lean more yellow than one might expect initially.

- Delo Delofasht
                        RomanB

Russian oil paints Master Class contain it, №701 is a mixture of PG 8 and PY1, №716 is PG 8 and PY 83. In its raw form it is available from Experimental Workshop of Artist’ Materials[/URL] – you can mix it with oil manually using palette knife.

bokaba

I will have to check out the Pebeo version. Appears to be the only commercially available pigment in oil (save the Maimeri Mediterranean line).

Antonin

Why the need to find Hooker’s Green (PG8)?
                                    It’s a pigment from the 20th century. It’s not the original Hooker’s Green, so why seek out a fugitive pigment that’s only an approximation of the original?
                                    You can make an identical shade out of permanent pigments (the original was always a mixture) so why the fixation on a poor quality fairly modern substitute?

JCannon

If memory serves (and I may be wrong), Courbet often used the original Hooker’s Green, an admixture of Prussian Blue and Gamboge. For all the concern about lightfastness, his landscapes still look fan-freaking-tastic. Seriously. If you care about art, look for any chance to stand in a room of Courbet landscapes: You’ll feel a gut-punch.

As it happens, Williamsburg makes a green they call Courbet Green. I have some. The online swatch at Blick doesn’t do it justice; it really does resemble the green in Gourbet’s paintings. It’s a concoction of Prussian Blue, Burnt Sienna and Cad Yellow.

Seems to me that an easier way to get there would be to mix Prussian Blue with Indian Yellow, perhaps with some transparent Ochre or Siena. Modern Indian Yellow is pretty close to Gamboge.

Now, if you really want PG8, I wouldn’t dream of trying to talk you out of it. I’m notorious for collecting rare tubes that I will probably never use. Consider Ebay.

bokaba

I went ahead and ordered the Pebeo just to give it a try. No ASTM rating, but the manufacturer rates it very good lightfastness.

TomMather

It seems odd to me that Hookers Green is not readily available in oils, as it seems to be a standard color for watercolors. I don’t paint much in watercolors, but have done enough to know that many watercolorists rely on it. I’ve never looked for it in oils because I generally mix my own greens. The only tube greens that I use in oils are Sap Green and more recently Perylene Black, which is really just a very dark green. I found out about Perylene Black on these forums and bought a tube because it was inexpensive and I have use for a very dark green in painting landscapes. I am impressed so far and it might end up being the only tube green that I use on my palette.

Mythrill

A modern substitute to the historical Hooker’s Green is very easy to mix. Just mix a transparent cyan and a moderately dull transparent yellow. One example is Phthalo Blue (PB 15) + Quinacridone-Nickel Azo Gold (PO 48 + PY 150). This gives greens far more useful than any Hooker’s Green.

Gigalot

Russian oil paints [URL=http://www.nevskayapalitra.ru/brands/master_class]Master Class[/URL] contain it, №701 is a mixture of PG 8 and PY1, №716 is PG 8 and PY 83. In its raw form it is available from .

Most extensivelly used green for Russian artists. The lightfastness is equal to naphthol pigments. Actually, PY1 and PY83 has the same lightfastness as PG8 naphthol green. Yellow pigments also gives good light protection for green pigment.

Lauresa

Bokaba,

Hooker’s Green is available in the Blick Studio line, but uses PR101 and PG7. I have it and haven’t really used it. Seems like a slightly warmer pthalo green.

Laura

bokaba

I ordered the Pebeo studios sap green, which is single pigment PG8. Waiting for delivery from UK now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.