Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Painting from the Masters Need help with the Verdaccio

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Isaak

Hello guys, I’m relatively new to this forum, and since there are so many experienced painters here, I thought to ask some more specific questions.

I started trying the verdaccio method recently, and while it’s beautiful, I find it very hard, too. Especially the skin layer over the verdaccio.:(

As I’m relatively new to painting, I don’t know how thick this layer has to be.
        Is it a glaze, or really opaque?

I tried to paint over it thinly, but the skin was really pale as a result.
        But if I go over it with a thick layer of color, than is there any point in doing the verdaccio at all?

This is my latest attempt.

I hope someone who has more experience than me can give me some tips on the Verdaccio technique, since I’ve fallen in love with it already.

Humbaba

The general idea is that you actually build the forms in a solid fashion, using only three shades: Dark, Light Medium, but Frankly speaking, I use up to 6 shades.

Once you have created this solid foundation, let it dry completely. From this finish verdaccio, you proceed to apply color transparently (Glaze) till you, once again, build the forms with color.

Verdaccio is defined in wikipedia as ” forming a complete monochromatic underpainting.

Isaak

Ah so it is a glaze, in multiple layers.
                Thank you for clearing this up.
                Did not know that you only use three colors traditionally. I used eight and maybe went overboard with the little details.

I will try this out in my next paintings. Again, thanks for your tips.:)

Humbaba

I am sorry if my explanation was confusing, unfortunately English is not my native language. I should have been clearer, I do not use three colors, only one color modified with white to obtain three main tones: Dark, Middle, and light. The idea is to not worry about color while building the form, color is added in layers later on after you have created a monochromatic foundation.

I posted an example sometime ago using grey:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444417

I hope this helps.

Isaak

No sorry I was the one mistaken.
                        I know that you paint in values, just confused the words color and value.
                        Yes, but thanks again for the help.:)

L

When I tried the green under layer technique, I decided to dry brush in a spotty kind of way so that the green showed through,  then just more covered areas of warm paint where the blood flows. Cheeks, Etc.

It was decent but I went away from the green underpainting thing because I ended up liking Rembrandt more and using gray half tones instead of green. :good:

Tony11214

Hi, The under painting is just a guide to the values of the painting.  While an underpainting color will come through if you glaze over it thinly, you are not limited to glazing.  As a value guide you will easily see if the opaque colored paint you put over it is the right value.  If it is not, the difference will be striking and you’ll know you have to adjust the value of the paint you’re applying.  In this way you can concentrate more on color, because you’ve already worked out the values in the under painting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.