WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > Partner: Chroma, Inc.
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Anchorage, Alaska

Hails from United States
Re: Have Questions About Interactive?

Good morning Jennifer,

I am ready to buy more Interactives, but at this time want a very limited palette. Which yellow, red, blue would you recommend? I will also add purple, burnt siena and white.

Thanks for your help in this.

Pat's Website
"Artists help us to see what is secretly there." John O'Donohue, page 248 of his book - "Eternal Echoes"
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Hi Pat - not sure why I didn't reply sooner, but I apologize!
My go-to primaries are:
Crimson
French Ultramarine Blue
Cadmium Yellow Medium

I like these for their color mixing properties, as well as the fact that the red & blue are semi transparent, so they work well fro glazes. I prefer opaque yellows, since they are such a light value.

Other primary combinations are:
Pyrrole Red - a beautiful, rich, "lipstick" red with a cool undertone, great as a Cad Red alternative
Arylamide Yellow (Light or Deep)
Pthalo Blue or Cobalt Blue

I've also been playing around with Prussian Blue - a great, Van Gogh deep Blue.

Don't know if I helped - there are just so many great colors!
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Anchorage, Alaska

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifervs
Hi Pat - not sure why I didn't reply sooner, but I apologize!
My go-to primaries are:
Crimson
French Ultramarine Blue
Cadmium Yellow Medium

I like these for their color mixing properties, as well as the fact that the red & blue are semi transparent, so they work well fro glazes. I prefer opaque yellows, since they are such a light value.

Other primary combinations are:
Pyrrole Red - a beautiful, rich, "lipstick" red with a cool undertone, great as a Cad Red alternative
Arylamide Yellow (Light or Deep)
Pthalo Blue or Cobalt Blue

I've also been playing around with Prussian Blue - a great, Van Gogh deep Blue.

Don't know if I helped - there are just so many great colors!

Hi Jennifer,

I needed the Satin Varnish, so went ahead and bought my colors, which happily arrived just minutes ago. Mostly what you recommended except for the Yellow. I got the transparent after reading all the specs about each color. Going to varnish the attached which is now a finished painting using Interactive and entered in a local exhibition: Thanks again for all your help.
Attached Images

Pat's Website
"Artists help us to see what is secretly there." John O'Donohue, page 248 of his book - "Eternal Echoes"

Last edited by siberart : 06-18-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Add a sentence
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

looks great - love the reflection in the water!
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Wilmington, NC

Hails from United States

I have a question about your smooth gel oil medium. Would this work well in spreading a thin layer onto the canvas and painting into it?
Thanks, greg
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 AM

I am a first time user of acrylics and interactive. What can I do to prevent the paint from drying darker than originally applied..Is there a video worth watching or ??? I am trying to lighten values but in doing so the colors are appearing chalky.

Thank you in advance.
Jim
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Anchorage, Alaska

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyer
I am a first time user of acrylics and interactive. What can I do to prevent the paint from drying darker than originally applied..Is there a video worth watching or ??? I am trying to lighten values but in doing so the colors are appearing chalky.

Thank you in advance.
Jim
Was hoping you would have an answer to this. I amhaving exact same problem.

Pat's Website
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2012, 09:38 AM

I guess there is no answer, I think I will switch to the ShinHan acrylics, I have heard nothing but RAVE reviews and good support.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Hi there! I'm not sure why my 1st reply didn't post - so sorry!
Acrylics darken when they dry because the binder/emulsion that holds the pigments is milky white, but dries clear when it dries. So there is already a wee bit of white in wet paint, so they naturally look darker when dry. In a professional acrylic paint like Interactive, it's been formulated to have minimal shift. I barely notce a shift in my own paintings. Evn paints that have been made witha sol called clear binder have a shift whe you test all of them.

But matching color does become much, much easier with Interactive because you can always rehydrate Interactive to bring color back to its wet state, and you can mix wet color on yoru palette to match the wet color on the painting. And even if they dry slightly darker, they will still be the same. Overpainting is actually easy.

If you want to lighten values but think yo are getting a chalky color, try using Tinting White (Pearl Titanium.) This white is a bit warmer, and not as opaque as Titanium. Tinting White has minute mica particles that bounce light back, so colors don't look as dull.

In the attached paintings, I used Tinting White for my white, and note see the transparancy on the veil. I also used Tinting White as my white in the landscape, too.
Attached Images

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismaguy
I have a question about your smooth gel oil medium. Would this work well in spreading a thin layer onto the canvas and painting into it?
Thanks, greg

Hi greg,

Using Smooth Gel and painting into it is actually a great way to work with this medium. It helps get some lovely smooth transitions, and is just yummy to use. It also adds nice body when you use a bit more with your paint for crisper marks. I used Smooth Gel in my attached sheep study.

NOTE: Smooth Gel is an Oil Painting medium in Chroma's Archival Oil's line, and is to be used with oil paints only, not acrylics. If you are looking for a similar medium to use with interactive, try Thick Slow Medium.
Attached Images

Last edited by jennifervs : 07-27-2012 at 10:19 AM.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Anchorage, Alaska

Hails from United States

Thanks Jennifer for the info re darkening. I am posting a finished portrait of 2 girls using Interactive. I wish I had known more about tinting white.

One of the girls' face is much darker than the other and as much as I tried to lighten it, it would darken up again. The underpainting maybe?

There is definitely a learning curve with your product, but I am a fan. Please have a look in acrylics for the finished portrait (rather poor photo unfortunately), titled Chroma Interactive Portrait - 2 girls

Thanks,

Pat's Website
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2012, 11:55 PM

I have used watercolors and Liquitex acrylics. About 3 years ago I bought about 15 tubes of Atelier acrylics but never use them. Now I want to try them because I am doing a lot of blending and I am getting frustrated with traditional acrylics. So far I have two questions:
1) When I opened several tubes (after so many years!) the first thing it came out was an oily liquid, I guess it is the binder, one I remember is Cadmium red light. I couldn't put it back in the tube. Is the paint still good or should I buy a new one?

2) I have 2 unfinished paintings that I started with Liquitex acrylics. Can I use Atelier to finish them?
I took 6 photos of Irises that I want to do with a lot of blending and want to try Atelier before I have to resort to Water Mixable oils.
I will have more questions later, I am sure. Thank you.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 PM

Is this forum still active?
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmaH322
Is this forum still active?
Hi Irma!

Due to the upgrades to Wet Canvas, I was locked out for a few days But to answer your questions, it sounds like your paint has seperated, which can happen after a few years. You can try using it, but it won't have the same consistency as the other Atelier Interactive paints. If it works for you, great, if not, I would buy another tube.

Regarding using Atelier Interactive on top of Liquitex, you shouldn't have any problems, but test in a small place place first. We do not test our products with other brands, so it's always better to be fe than sorry! I know I persoally use other brands of acrylics in my underpaintings and have never had any issues, but as every artist has a different style, we always recommend testing first.

If you have more questions, feel free to call us at 800-257-8866. I am not in the office today (due to the "monster" storm) but will be in Tuesday - Thursday, 8-4, EST.

Thanks!!!
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 AM

Jennifer thank you for your answer, sorry I didn't reply sooner. I tested all my Interactive and found 5 tubes with separation of what I think is the filler, it was the titanium white, phthalo green 2 reds and cad. orange.
I ordered the replacements, 5 more colors, the unlocking formula, the binder and a medium.
The order will be delivered in a couple of days. Can't wait to start, I will probably have more questions in the future.