WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#241   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 11:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States
Re: What are you listening to . . . (reprise)

Forever badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oysMt8iL9UE
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #242   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 02:29 PM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

This afternoon it’s going to be a 19th Century American composer I know nothing about, George Chadwick. I came across him through an American Scholar article (via Arts and Letters Daily) and thought he sounded interesting enough to give him a listen.

Some of his work is available on youtube, like his early Rip van Winkle Overture, and there’s more on Spotify to line up...

Cheers,
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution
  #243   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 03:00 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

Live performances of Beethoven's Piano Concerto no. 1, Poulenc's Concerto for Two Pianos, and now Robert Schumann's Piano Concerto.
  #244   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Gillian Welch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiS3...&start_radio=1

and Ozric Tentacles ......

https://youtu.be/4HqfLHTY4ws?t=440

yeah, I'm messed up. Pretty good guitar playing in both but about as different as guitar can be.

Last edited by john : 04-07-2019 at 09:28 PM.
  #245   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 10:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

I like Gillian Welch, but as for the guitar playing, I'm not hearing Tony Rice in there.

The other stuff, well, ain't no lack of tasteless fretboard hotshots with no soul.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #246   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 11:42 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

#247   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 01:48 AM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
I like Gillian Welch, but as for the guitar playing, I'm not hearing Tony Rice in there.

The other stuff, well, ain't no lack of tasteless fretboard hotshots with no soul.

Oh that Oz Tent song is friggin awesome man. Topnotch. They are one of the best least known bands of all time. Seriously good musicians in addition to having imagination. Nothing else sounds like them. No soul?
  #248   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 11:04 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

I'm not talking about the band, just the guitar player. Come on, guys like this are dime a dozen (this from watching part of the Live Sunrise Festival gig). He can play, sure. But nothing he's doing is particularly exceptional. Then again, you did say "pretty good" and I won't disagree with that.
  #249   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Yeah, I'm not a guitar player so I'm not as critical as someone who is. Ever hear of Steve Morse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7CBpgvu4xg I've seen him play numerous times with different groups and he's always impressive. But does he have soul? I don't know.

And yes Tony Rice is great. I have a few albums with him and Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer and Joshua Bell.

I don't know if you have heard this one. Skip Hop and Wobble. Jerry Douglas, Russ Barenberg & Edgar Meyer. Now this stuff has soul. Great album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r_h..._radio =1&t=8

Last edited by john : 04-08-2019 at 12:12 PM.
  #250   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Oh sure, I know Steve Morse. Now you're talkin' about a great guitar player... but no, I don't think he's got a lot of soul, at least when he shreds (he's an extremely versatile player). Most shredders don't. And alas, as with so many of them, his shred tone sucks.

This guy, on the other hand... well, he's far from the fastest shredder alive, but he's damn well fast enough, and, gasp, he actually knows how to play a melody (wait for it), and this is truly one of the greatest tones ever to come out of a Stratocaster. As close to a violinist as I've ever heard on the electric guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUECcou-34A

I'll check out Skip Hop and Wobble later, but I don't really have to. Hard to go wrong with those guys. Douglas and Meyer are big time studio hotshots. Russ, who I was acquainted with back in my Cambridge days, really isn't as well known as he should be, so I'm glad he's getting some well-deserved attention.

Last edited by musket : 04-08-2019 at 04:05 PM.
  #251   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:15 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

https://youtu.be/eYyWyHrGn_k?t=99

#252   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEmmett
That was delightful! Thanks...
Cheers;
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution
  #253   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldwell.brobeck
That was delightful! Thanks...
Cheers;
Chris

Yes indeed. And another vote of thanks to John Emmett for posting that heartwarming link

Until he died tragically-early of a brain tumour, I had a friend who was an English environmental activist. He used to play sax to his organic dairy herd, and claimed that they gave much bigger milk yields as a result!

This is a kind of half-finished bulk reply in haste, as I've been away for a while, so am very behind on my replies...but here goes:

For Musket, because we both love June Tabor so much, and because I'm currently busy upgrading my wildlife garden. This one makes me cry every time I listen to it. She conveys such rich and deep undertows of emotion with that incredible and unique voice of hers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUSywYlrrV8

For John (Lord of the Arts): I wonder what The Dawntreader means to you? It is one of the most poignant songs I have ever heard because of the memories it engenders in me of a Norwegian man and his wooden ketch with sails the colour of dried blood.

Have you ever read John Masefield's poem "The Wanderer" I wonder? I have a much-treasured copy in my library.

In return, dear parallel soul, who gave a name to my beliefs, I offer this to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kZp0EUSNY8

_________

For Brian and David, who I am beseeching to suggest a list of ten of the most emotionally-charged classical music pieces to introduce this neophyte to the genre..... I only know and love the popular stuff like "The Planets", "The Four Seasons" "Carmina Burana" and the like, and I once horrified the stuffy colonial patrons of our local classical music concert hall, many years ago, by lying down on the cheap seats in the gallery so as to better enjoy Elgar's magnificent and moving "Dream of Gerontius" played by a sublimely sensitive set of musicians. I am an adrenaline junkie, so need something to fire my senses alive...or something to calm me and put me "back in me box", depending on my mood!

And in return, I give offer you this, in the hope that it will please you both. A very sensitive and talented English Christian poet and musician introduced me to this many years ago as one of the three things that inspired the creation of one of his very best poems (which I'll post to morrow on J E's poetry thread):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s31PA0e2gTE

Tipo. I am still working hard to find the time to listen to all the great new music you're introducing us all too, but am finding it hard to find solitude at present. In the meantime, as I am half-Irish, and married (technically speaking) to an Irish musician, so I will send you some Celtic music which I hope you might not have heard of before...I can't sing the bloomin' thing to save my life, no matter how hard I try!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtY6...tart_radio =1

OK, Part two tomorrow as the Pup and I are going to share some BBQ Spare ribs on the couch before bedtime (she gets an occasional break from her raw meat, bones and offal diet - I'm such a softie ).

I'll leave you with what I'm listening to now, because I'm so looking forward to seeing my long-distance best friend from Warrington again. We're going to spend a lovely quiet, nature loving and creative week together on Sark to celebrate my 65th Birthday in late May - when I officially become an old lady ...and seemingly with a toy boy ten years younger than me in tow!

This is dedicated to him for putting up with me through the horrors of trying to love an Asperger's/Bipolar cross throughout all my ups and downs for seven years now, and still wanting to be by my side
As he's deaf, he's never been able to hear the music of the songs that remind me of him, but he appreciates the lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA3vZwxnKnE

Have a good night, and goodnight, everyone, whenever yours is due to occur

Sephie
  #254   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 01:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

The ineffable June.

I heard her do this one live, with Andy Cutting on diatonic accordion as on this recording, back in 1996 at a small church in Lexington, MA (the concert was sponsored by an old friend). Even though she never varies from the recordings, it's different seeing her live. She has tremendous stage presence. Most intense performer I've ever seen, when she's doing this kind of material.

She can also be quite playful on more lighthearted numbers, but that isn't what she's best known for.

Since we're talking English singers, we ought to pay tribute to poor Sandy Denny, with her best known tune while she was with Fairport Convention. Such a beautiful voice, such a messed up life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeZL2FXkGqI
  #255   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 01:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Sephie, The Dawntreader is one of my favorite songs ever. Beautiful poetry, singing and guitar playing. It's meaning? Basically the romance of the sea, of far horizons and freedom.

This excerpt may sum it up best..

He aches and he learns to live
He stakes all his silver
On a promise to be free

We all get a longing sometimes for something just over the horizon, dont we. It aches, we don't know what it is.

Fold your fleet wings I have brought some dreams to share
A dream that you love someone
A dream that the wars are done
A dream that you tell no one but the gray sea
They'll say that you're crazy
And a dream of a baby
Like a promise to be free
Children laughing out to sea

I looked for The Wanderer but apparently copywrite issues keep it off the interwebs.

Last edited by john : 04-09-2019 at 01:35 PM.