WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2015, 11:02 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Scavenger Hunt #396 Mar 2 - Mar 10, 2015

If you've participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Here are the rules for the hunt:

*All items on the list must be sketched from life - not imagination or photo reference.

*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.

*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.

*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don't have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt "week" will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

***If you have some hunt sketches completed, but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not necessary.***

Here is the list of some everyday items in my world:

Scavenger Hunt #396 Mar 2, 2015 - Mar 10, 2015
eye
doll
serving bowl
stove
water fountain/hose
bird house/feeder
Something from your bedside table
Steering wheel or dash
newspaper or magazine
sports equipment
something blue
mailbox
potted plant
stairs or steps
something red
something on the wall
potato masher
something you save
skyline
iron
a peek in your closet
lamp
candy
shovel
cold weather clothing
bridge or crossing

Challenges:
use pointillism
draw an item with the shadow
sketch an item in your hand
Winston Churchill
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Scavenger Hunt #396 Mar 2 - Mar 10, 2015

Thanks Jo for the new list
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2015, 01:30 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi, EP!

It is foggy, cold and gloomy around here. I managed a few sketches at the dining table while I had my coffee and snack. These are in the large sketchbook with the Micron 05.

Number 1 - Potato masher. I did two. the black one is plastic and not worth keeping. I bought the old antique one the other day so that I can finally mash potatoes or avacados.
Number 2, serving bowl - my bowls are not exciting so sketched these Pyrex glass bowls.
Number 3, iron - an iron Dutch oven. I never get out my iron for ironing clothes!
Attached Images

Winston Churchill
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Jo - Looks like a fun list. You've got all your utensils and everything ready...whatcha gonna cook us?

I'm presently in Virginia on the way to visit family in Georgia for a few days and then off to a watercolor workshop in Myrtle Beach. I doubt that I'll get any sketching done for the hunt...but you never know. I will be back to at least check in and comment.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2015, 01:38 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Joan, have fun on your trip. A workshop at Myrtle Beach sounds great, hope it warms up a bit for you. I rarely cook, even though I have a pretty good kitchen set up finally. Most tools and pans, etc. We eat out a lot in the evenings and eat leftovers the next evening.

I sketched this morning on the iPad with Brushes and my old fingers. About 15 minutes. Used a bigger "brush" so left the corners round on the box. Ha.
The photo loader isn't working, I think my computer is getting too old and I have to use attachments. Sorry, it runs photos together and puts them at the bottom. Not bad today with just one.
Number 4, from my nightstand
Attached Images

Winston Churchill

Last edited by Jo Castillo : 03-04-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: forgot something
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Hello Jo & Joan.

Jo: Thanks for the list.... nice start with cooking stuffs...nice tissue box too.

Joan: Have fun at the workshop....

I am exhausted from many of Iris's & Lily's school stuffs...super mom (wanna be) like me...is out of energy....but I did one sketch yesterday.... will post soon.

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2015, 01:01 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi there, Ai. Looking forward to the sketch. Rest up!

I sketched on the iPad again. Piddled away almost an hour. Used the app Brushes and my fingers.

Number 5, blue - a cup with lid made by Jesse, a potter friend. It is mostly blue.
Attached Images

Winston Churchill
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2015, 09:04 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Jo: I like what you did with the ipad.... sweet blue jug.

--------------------------------------------

Here is mine first batch:

#1 doll -- on a decoration shelf at a restaurant, done with Stabio wax crayons & pencil & ink

#2 red -- a big clothing clip/pin, done with Stabio wax crayons & pencil & ink

#3 blue -- a rice cooker shaped piggy bank, done with Stabio wax crayons & pencil & ink

#4 serving bowl, done with colorpencil and pencil

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Jo- Thanks for the new list. Nice sketches. Like the potato masher. Clever Dutch oven. Like the digi tissue box. Pretty blue cup
Ai- Like the doll. Nice rice cooker, serving bowl and clip
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2015, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

1. eye

Wet Canvas will not let me post anything resized in Photoshop! It always has before.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivrin65
Wet Canvas will not let me post anything resized in Photoshop! It always has before.
Strange ... is Photoshop trying to put something other than .jpeg on the end of the filename?
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2015, 12:25 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Ai, I like your sketches. Nice find on the doll and cool colors. I would like to have the blue rice cooker. I need one, too.

Kivrin, oooouuu, nice eye, cool shading. Do you save them as .jpg or .jpeg? Maybe that is why I can't upload in the photoloader and have to use attachments. I use Photoshop to resize, too. I used iPhoto today let me try loading those. OK, on the photoloader on my mac it has a drop down menu with choices of ALL FILES, ALL SUPPORTED TYPES and PREVIEW DOCUMENT. It is on ALL SUPPORTED TYPES by default. I changed it to ALL FILES and these uploaded! Yay. Never had to do that before.

Done with a Micron 05 in the large sketchbook
Number 6, candy - a Tootsie Pop and some other suckers with challenge of in my hand.
Number 7, on the wall - metal dragonfly, sign and sand painting with challenge of shadows. Should have done them bigger for the shadows.
Number 8, something you save - Gene saves $1 bills in a drawer of his desk, quite a few in there
Number 9, magazine - this had a plein air artist with the article called "Lay of the Landscape, experience the best of Texas outdoors"

Done with my iPad, app, Brushes and my fingers
Number 10, cold weather clothing - Gene's cap

Winston Churchill
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Jo a great list, thanks, and I love your drawings esp the kitchen equipment , Eye that doll is really fun, you did a great job, and Kivrin your eye looks good. I use Photoshop to resize all my images for the web and haven't had any problems uploading, weird.

I have two today, probably all I will manage but hey it is more than one

First is a glass bowl that I consider a serving bowl - single serving done with graphite, glass is tricky and I don't think I did that good of a job.

2nd is a Christmas Cactus that I started last summer from cuttings, the original plant was starting to die and as it blooms an unusual golden color I esp want to save at least something. Still small but about to give me a couple golden blooms a bit out of season. Ink this time over pencil, both done in my dedicated sketchbook so sized relatively small.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2015, 11:44 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Jo: Thanks.... wow...you did so many cool sketches...Love hand holding candies, and cute dragon fly. Nice bills saved... Tone's dad loved to hide his loose bills around books in the house... after he had passed his family found several hundreds dollars spread around several books in his office and around the house...

Kathy: Thanks... I like your cactus... the perspective is very good.

-------------
Here is my second batch:

#5 eye...sub. with two portraits of students taking an exam-- done with pencil
#6 iron.. sub. with metal part of the chairs

#7 candies
#8 magazine -- done with marker and Stabilo 3-in-1 wax crayon

#9 planter -- done with marker and Stabilo 3-in-1 wax crayon
#10 lamp -- done with markers

#11 on the wall -- a whale shape cork board at the local cafe

#12 fountain -- done with pencil

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2015, 12:50 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks, all.

Kathy, glass is difficult as you say. Pretty bowl and well done! I love Christmas cacti, I have never seen yellow/gold. Can you post a photo when it blooms?

Ai, you have been busy, too. Nice sketches of the students. Yummy candy. I bet you get a lot from that magazine. Pretty plant. Is the fountain rock or wood? Interesting.

We will see if I sketch today. It is rainy and we are a bit lazy in the gloom.
Winston Churchill