Home Forums Explore Media Watermedia Tree Tapestry ~ Tutorial on how to rework a failed painting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

15×11 mixed watermedia done today. In this step by step I am showing how to rework what I considered a failed painting into a landscape. It doesn’t take too long to find a bad painting you want to improve upon and this one done in 2009 of a Victorian couple was no exception (a WetCanvas endeavor). After deciding to do trees the rest was obliterating the background, first with gouache to see how it would look, then filling in with various Montana acrylic markers. A black marker and Caran D’Ache watersoluble wax crayons were used last to accent and punch up the composition. Very little of the original is now visible except in left foreground and within the tree trunks, branches, and limbs. See the other steps below from beginning to finished version :cool:

BEFORE a watercolor titled Strolling

First step: Drawing or sketching with black Tombow brush pen over the work; you have to ignore what is under it :rolleyes:

Second step: Covering background with white gouache and Coastal Fog (Cheap Joe’s). Don’t give up at this stage :eek: just keep fingers crossed :crossfingers: and keep on :thumbsup: until there is nothing else you can do to it :lol:
    C&C welcome ;)

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Very innovative!

Christel

maryinasia

Cool!

HarvestMoon

You are amazing!

Harvest Moon 🐐

lalflen

Awesome! Looks like the couple in the original painting are stepping into the landscape. How cool!

Happy Painting
                Linda

http://lalflen.wordpress.com/
                Bumpa

Great save!
                    really liken the result, vibrant and punchy

clode

Yesss!

http://aquableu32.fr/wp[/url]

Thank you all!

Kay

clode

I never dared to do that … personally I often spent the whole table with sandpaper and put gesso everywhere .. before doing anything else but I discovered that this way of doing under- Underlying the original colors and animate the new paint
                            Thanks for this tutorial!

http://aquableu32.fr/wp[/url]

Yes, I do these a lot, and thanks for looking and commenting.

Kay

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.