Home Forums Explore Media Watermedia Acrylic paint blowing process

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lalflen

I am pretty excited about this new way of painting. I’ve never been fond of brushes. I like acrylic markers, but wasnt able to blend them the way i wanted. I’ve always loved fountain pens, so when Golden came out with High Flow paint I had to have them.i discovered the Fineliner applicator and i was ready to go. I also use Derwent Inktense pencils and Winsor Newton WC markers.

First, I sketch my picture. Next, using the High Flow Paint with a Fineliner applicator, i draw the outline. I used a 1/4 sheet of WC paper. I varied my earth colors, and while the ink was still wet, add a drop of water, get a straw and blow.

I let this dry… for a day. While its drying, i did a value sketch and tried to choose colors the right color. I did the payne gray background with the Winsor Newton WC marker. I blew that around. Once that was dry, i went light to dark in the foliage. Used inktense pencils and high flow acrylics.

(Second is a cell phone picture.. not a scan)

So, there it is. If you have any questions or comments let me know!!

Happy Painting
        Linda

http://lalflen.wordpress.com/
        laika

Very nice! You achieved excellent control over the blowing technique. Very effective and very well suited to tree and foliage as subjects. I like this a lot!

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
            - Otto Rank

Yes, wow, this technique is amazing, Linda. Somewhat similar to blowing alcohol inks thru a straw. It is fun what you can do without brushes. Love the tree by itself not enhanced as you showed in the first image then the finished version, even with a cell phone shot, is very, very good!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

CaliAnn

I love this! The colors are awesome – how did you do the shadows in the back? This is so fabulous!

lalflen

Thank you for the kind comments. This technique is so much fun!
                    CaliAnn: I did the background with Winsor Newton Payne Gray watercolor marker. I used my value sketch to shade around the tree, then wet it (don’t flood it), but you want to dissolve the watercolor. Then blow it around. I also used inktense pencils for some of the foliage. Same process, get it to dissolve and then use your straw!

Happy Painting
                    Linda

ColdPress

I think this is a lovely painting with lots of personality.

Happy painting! ... CP

SnapV

This is very cool I like it a lot!

Virginie

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!

lalflen

Thanks Coldpress and Virginie! All the comments are encouraging!!

Happy Painting
                                Linda

KareBear94

What a lively tree
                                    Thanks for sharing your technique :)

kayenne

I have been absent from wet canvas for a while, and have just found
                                        alcohol inks much to my delight. have been a member of palet talk fora
                                        long time and now reaching the age of 96 find that this medium has untold
                                        joy for me.Hope to show some of my efforts err long!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.