Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts loop-stitch dog

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ntl

My grandmother made this for me about 1948-1950. It seems to be made of a fine yarn, crocheted I think, and considering the age, probably wool. I don’t think it’s as fine as baby yarn. He’s about 10.5″ tall, body about 16.5″ around. I do not know what he is stuffed with. The body is “spongy”, so maybe it’s a rubber cylinder. The legs and tail are much more firm, not the same filling. I can’t tell, it seems that they are separate pieces and sewed on, so I can’t see if there is an opening to remove the fillers. There’d have to be, wouldn’t there?

The yarn seems to be an off white, but in my memory, he was white. He generally sat on my bed and got cuddled once in a while, but most of his life he’s been in the dark, in storage.

I want to give him to my GD but he looks “dirty”, though how he could get that way, I don’t know. Maybe he has a secret life…

How can I best freshen him up? Do his outsides have to come off? I finally found the closure place. Will a vacuum cleaning work? If I do have to wash him, will woolite and bluing be okay? Or what? I might look for an expert to do this, I certainly am NOT one. What are your thoughts?
        Thanks for whatever guidance you can give me.

He’s lovely. 😎 I would wash him in cool water and a wool detergent, but others might have different ideas.

Penny
        I live in Wiltshire, England
        “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Debby

He’s adorable. I would clean him the way I clean mohair bears. Take a mild soap or detergent and make a lot of suds in cool water. Use the suds not the water, to gently surface wash the toy with a cloth. Once you’ve suds him up, use a clean damp cloth with clear cool water to wipe away the suds. Let him dry. If that doesn’t do it, then go with Penny’s method. If you do have to fully submerge the toy to get it clean, don’t wring it dry. Place it between a couple of towels and gently press the water out. You may need a few times for that, then let it air dry for several days. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Debby
            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

ntl

Thanks. I think you are both saying is to NOT remove the stuffing, but to carefully, gently, wash just the loops. Is woolite an okay product here? My general laundry detergent is 7th Generation.
                Since it is “white”, should I add a bit of bluing to the sudsy water, or the rinse water?
                I’m apprehensive about doing this…
                I will let you know, I may be able to work on this tomorrow, Thursday.

Debby

Woolite is fine. You can remove the stuffing if you wish. It might make it easier to clean. Tho’ if you remove the stuffing, I would replace it with clean stuffing, either polyester stuffing or wool batting rather than what was used. Particularly if what was used was foam rubber which out-gasses and decays over time.

Debby
                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

ntl

I tried the suds clean with little success, so I washed one floppy ear in the water. Sadly, enough dirt came off that I can see it will make a difference, so I will see about having someone take the outsides off and hand wash it. I am guessing the ears can stay on, but legs and tail will have to come off , that filling removed, and all sewn back together. I don’t know how much dirt will come off, I do think it will make a difference. The body stuffing is in it’s own sack, and I don’t feel any place that’s different from any other. … maybe it’s okay. This may take a few weeks. Thanks for your guidance.

Debby

Don’t be sad. Being cautious will preserve the toy. Sounds like slow progress, but you are saving a legacy.

Debby
                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

ntl

I came back to say that I did find someone to take him apart to wash him, just last week. She’ll send me photos when she can. He did get a bit cleaner, neither of us felt–after the fact–that he was really dirty, but the bath did remove some appearance of dirt and did freshen him up.
                                He’s now on his way to the birthday girl, he should arrive next Tuesday, June 26. Her sixth B’day is July 4. I included a bracelet I was given for MY sixth birthday.
                                When I get the photos, I’ll post them. Thanks for your guidance.

Debby

Good to hear. Hope the little one loves the dog as much as you do.

Debby
                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

So glad it worked out for you, what a treasure!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                    Find me on Instagram
                                    Find me on Facebook

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.