Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Acrylic & Colored Pencils?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    LdyMox

I have lots of Acrylic painting supplies but I’m looking into getting some colored pencils for some fine details and intermixing with my work. Seems there are many kinds of colored pencils and I am looking for info to help sort it out.

Wax based like Prismacolor – Can they paint over layers of thick acrylic? Can I paint acrylic over them if needed and the paint would adhere?

Oil based like polycromas – Can they paint over layers of thick acrylic? Can I paint acrylic over them if needed without smearing?

Watercolored pencils like Intense – Seems being waterbased I should be able to paint over them if needed without smearing(as long as I get the kind that dries and does not reopen when wet), but anyone know how well they would lay down over thick acrylic?

I have all sorts of acrylic mediums such as matte medium and I ordered some clear gesso that I can use if needed.

Anyone have tips/experiences of the best kind of colored pencils to intermix with acrylic art work?

Tammy
        Buffalo, NY

Quoting a Utrecht acrylic tube, “don’t mix with oil colors, turpentine, oil medium or varnishes.” And wax is just a thick form of oil. So those are both out.

Also I strongly suspect that there is something waxy in the water-based colored pencils as well. Why risk the contamination?

I would suggest investigating acrylic inks and acrylic markers rather than risking poor results from foreign materials. The Liquitex and Golden web sites both have a lot of information about this kind of stuff.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

LdyMox

I actully have tried acrylic ink and markers (I have a whole bunch.. I love the FW acrylic inks for washes and airbrushing). Acrylic ink is nice, but I haven’t found a good way to get thin lines on a reliable basis, besides with the smallest paintbrush I could get, plus you can hold pencils differently then paintbrushes for better control. Markers are even worst for thin lines as all the thin nibs just don’t work well until the line is a decent size.

Short version…those things have thier place..but I am exploring other options.

Tammy
            Buffalo, NY

The watercolour pencils might work.

I just ordered some acrylic ink and a dip pen. Unfortunately I got the wrong holder to go with the nibs so I haven’t been able to try it yet. But watching people use a dip pen on YouTube looks like they work very well. I’m hoping they will be a good way to do fine detail.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
            Every painting is a new adventure.

LdyMox

I didnt have much luck with the dip pen, it was ok…but maybe it’s my fault for buying a cheap dip pen as it rusted and bent super easy.

Tammy
                Buffalo, NY
                Guide

I use acrylic inks in the empty Copic marker fine point cases and find them very satisfactory. They also stay viable for a very long time.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                    The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                    "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                    "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

LdyMox

Also the dip pen didn’t do well if the paint underneath was the least bit textured as it caused the acrylic ink to flick off. Does better on paper though.

I have some Montana empty markers but their .7MM nib (or their smallest) just doesn’t seem to flow very well. I even bought extra nibs and switched them out. Their other larger sizes work great though.

Tammy
                        Buffalo, NY

Well, the pencils aren’t that expensive, so maybe the thing to do is try them.

I just finished a watercolor pencil class and don’t plan on using them again. They might work for you, but they didn’t for me.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

Well, the surface of dried acrylics is non-absorbent and doesn’t usually take dry media very well. The best thing you can do is apply something like a thin layer of Golden’s Pumice Gel (fine) to create a surface for the pencils. Same goes for acrylics over top of the pencils. But with an oil based pencil you’ll have to do possibly a layer of spray isolation to seal the oil before applying your paint.

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Paintings, Drawings, and Resources for Artists on my site" http://www.cinderblockstudios.com

Painting Tutorials, and other creative content to inspire you, every week on my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/Cinderblockstudios

LdyMox

I don’t think Pumice Gel is clear but I can try clear Gesso

Tammy
                            Buffalo, NY
                            cjkok

I have tried polychromos (oil based) colored pencil and it works well over (dry) acrylic. I have also read about prismacolor (wax based) used over acrylics, and seems to work as well. Success! Hans

LdyMox

Yesterday I tried some prismacolor over some white guesso vs white colored acrylic. It did lay down over the acrylic but not nearly as well as paper. …perhaps half as much, though it went over the guessed part just like it does on paper. Once I get my clear gesso I shall give that a shot.

Though one factor I need to consider is that the white acrylic did seem to have a gloss to it while the guesso was super matte. I’ll have to see how it goes over matte medium.

Tammy
                                    Buffalo, NY

Also the dip pen didn’t do well if the paint underneath was the least bit textured as it caused the acrylic ink to flick off. Does better on paper though.

There goes my plans. Back to the script liner I guess.:lol:

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                                    Every painting is a new adventure.

I don’t think Pumice Gel is clear but I can try clear Gesso

It’s not 100% clear but you don’t need to apply it very thick. Even a coat thinned with water would work just fine.

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Paintings, Drawings, and Resources for Artists on my site" http://www.cinderblockstudios.com

Painting Tutorials, and other creative content to inspire you, every week on my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/Cinderblockstudios

members

I mix colored pencils of both wax and oil type with acrylics and it seems very durable. Water based ones that dissolve will of course dissolve when they meet acrylic paint since its wet. Clear gesso can be a good way to layer the two mediums. I tend to use colored pencil with thin acrylic washes, not thick paint. For this, a high quality, highly pigmented fluid acrylic is best IMO. Golden fluids are great. I haven’t used the acrylic inks but experiment and see what works best for you. I seal my mixed pieces with clear acrylic, carefully brushed on without overworking it or it will disturb the colored pencil. Again, experiment. Once you learn how the materials behave its second nature to incorporate it into finished pieces. If you want a matte surface which looks more like paper, use clear matte last. If you want it more like a varnished painting, use a glossier clear acrylic. These come in fluid too. I even dilute them more if necessary but it depends on the piece and what it’s done on. Also, the brushes I use for this are quite soft, my fave are “polar” something or other, or Robert Simmons white watercolor wash brushes. They’re synthetic and the softness means they don’t disturb the pencil. If you want to disturb it for effect, use a stiffer bristle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.