WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1411   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling - version 2

Rain, I want to add my thanks to you for the instructions on the bleed-proof white. That will be very helpful!

Jan, I'm glad that the eyedropper conversion is working so far! Great news! Also glad you were able to wrestle that nib out of the cap! Yes, the Hero I was talking about is the one with the bent, pseudo-fude nib. How cool that it can go on the TWISBI. I remember you telling us about that...Just didn't realize it was this exact nib. I guess I now have a fude nib for my TWSBI too!

Rainy, I can't wait to hear what you think about the Hero! I did a side by side comparison with the Sakura Gelly Roll white pen and the Signo on paper coated with Golden Black Gesso, and the Gelly Roll came out ahead. There are several different types too. It doesn't work very well over ink or wet watercolor for highlights, etc., but neither did the Signo for me. And the Sharpie white paint pen was a disaster that leaked all over my sketch. (Hence my desire to acquire the Dr Martin's Bleed Proof white.)

Leigh, I thought it was all your fault! LOL... So it will fit in my Noodler's Flex Pens too....How cool is that! Aside from the Ahabs, my Noodler's flex pens actually work, so I'll probably keep those intact....for now. That's funny that you ordered more too. The two of us must have bought them out!

Now for a new AMASS alert!
Do any of you have pad compound? We can use it to make a pad out of papers like Stonehenge Kraft that won't sew well into signatures! Here's an Amazon source where you can get a smaller quantity for less $$$, and if you have Amazon Prime, you won't have to pay shipping. Here's an online tutorial by the people who sell those smaller quantities on Amazon. And even better than buying padding compound is that you can make your own! Yep! And since we all need to buy glycerin for our gouache, or already have it, and we know where to get it (Thank you, Leigh!), we can make our own padding compound with just a couple more easy things you might already have, and don't even need to buy it! (Judging by the ingredients, it doesn't sound like it will stand up to water media, but could be fun to try.)

Then for all those pens we have, here's a pen organizer that you can make from an old phone book.

Jamie

Last edited by JamieWG : 03-02-2012 at 08:42 PM.
  #1412   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Tumbling Shoals, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Oooh, padding compound! I have some, and have used it to make watercolor blocks, and custom notepads for friends. Before I got the padding compound, I used white PVA glue (Elmer's school glue) which works well, too. That recipe for making your own looks interesting, and since I have all the ingredients, I might have to give it a try, because that's just the kind of thing I like to do (rather than fold laundry, or, heaven forbid, CLEAN!).

If you decide to put the Hero fude nib in a TWSbi, then use the TWSBI feed with it. Seems to work better than the hero feed, the same way that using the Noodler's flex pen feed with it works better in that pen. The TWSBI combo is nicer, but if you have the Noodler's pens hanging around, they are a definite alternative and work as well.

By the way, did you get the funky-rocketship shaped one or the one with the picture in gold? I ask because the rocket-ship-shaped one definitely has a removable nib, but I haven't tried to remove the other one yet.

I really need to track down my camera, because I have two new homemade palettes. One is the lightswitch blanking plate one, and the other is even tinier than the kids' palette, and is made from the plastic case that dental wax for braces comes in. It's so cute! Here's the case I made it from (pack of two for $1.75 at my local discount store, in the toothpaste section):
http://www.amazon.com/DenTek-Wax-For...0741130&sr=8-1

I used hot glue to make the well sections for the paint, and put white electrical tape on the outside of the top since the case is a clear translucent plastic. The white shows through to make a white mixing area on the inside of the lid and it's easier than trying to paint it.

I also learned that you can wet your fingers to shape and smooth the hot glue when it's still hot and it won't stick to them. I did this to pinch the walls of the wells to make them a little thinner and higher, and then smoothed the tops. For the record, I use low-temp melt glue--I wouldn't recommend doing that with the high-temp glue!
  #1413   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Yes, I've tried the padding compound and its very cool!

As for the white pens. . . of mine, the Signo is by far the most white and the most opaque. Here is sample I did of the different pens I have, and I think its pretty easy to see the difference. I have the standard Sakura Gelly Roll 08 so don't know if that is same as you have Jamie.

Last edited by RainySea : 03-02-2012 at 09:55 PM.
  #1414   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Leigh, I want to come over and play at your house! And Jan's house! You two have so much cool stuff. I've never had much luck with shaping the hot glue, so thanks for those tips. I'd love to see the palettes. My hero doesn't have any gold on it, so I guess it's the rocket ship one. LOL

Rainy, the Signo certainly does look better on your support! What are you writing on? Very interesting!

Jamie
  #1415   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

That one is Somerset Black Velvet paper. My Signo works fine for me over watercolor for highlights. . . not so well over marker pen though.

I wonder if there is more than one type of Signo because I have three of them, the oldest one is almost out of ink and skips now and that one has just English writing all over. The other two which I got from Jet Pens have the same English Writing on the pen cap clip but the writing on the body of the pen is in Japanese characters.

I am eager to get the Hero!! Is it small? Mine has not yet shipped but I hope soon
  #1416   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio-1-F
Tina, WC can be pretty sprawling and there are some forums that have some quite strict Media Purity Police on constant and ever-vigilant patrol. You will discover these and then be able avoid them as you go along. Suggestion: Start a thread here in the Art Journals forum entitled "Tina's All-Media, Multi-Theme, There-are-no-rules-in-art Art Journal". I'd be delighted to see it!

[/IMG]

oh so true!!

that's a really neat, compact kit you've put together

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #1417   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatagrrl
Jan, your museum pencil kit is rockin'! I assume you put it together yourself? The pencil case looks like it could have come from JetPens, but I didn't see one exactly like it. (I currently have several pencil cases in my JetPens wishlist as I ponder which one, or which color!, would best hold my growing Tombow collection.) Or did the kit come that way?
No, I made up the kit myself. The Caran d'Ache Museum sets all come in their nice fancy flat tins. The set I have included a jazzy glass vial with a brushed metal cap that I decided was too fragile and too fat for a knock-about sketch kit, so I dug around the place and found that oval shaped plastic vial and cut it down to height. All the leads fit into it.

(By the way, you can buy the leads separately, thereby getting only the colors you want. And I am convinced there is a cheaper alternative to that ridiculously expensive clutch pencil that Caran sells for these 4mm leads. Just a matter of finding it . . . .)

The Cubix Round Zip Pencase is here, on the same site where you can get the Midori Traveler. They have a number of different cases and I am sure you'll be able to find one or two or three or four to fit your needs.

Re: the Travel Journal: Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! I am going to try to find someone around town to show me how to make a Coptic Stitch journal.

RE: the Hero M86! ---- How COOL that everyone is going to try this extremely nifty nib! Leigh, thanks for the tip on using it on the Noodler's standard piston fill pen. I had one of these just sitting idle and I cleaned it, loaded it, and put the fude on it and it works perfectly! It's in my everyday carry-around kit (in the back pocket of the Midori) now! Thanks!

The Rocket Ship cap+barrel makes for a uniquely ugly pen, IMO. It actually looks worse in real life than it does on the Isellpens website. And it's heavy! Be prepared to harvest the nib and mothball the rest of it.

Leigh and Jamie and everyone, please post some mini pix of some sketches done with the fude nib. I tend to hold the pen at the far end, almost just like I hold a brush. Just me? You too? Any thoughts?

Jan
  #1418   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 10:34 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio-1-F
They have a number of different cases and I am sure you'll be able to find one or two or three or four to fit your needs.
For sure.

Quote:
Leigh and Jamie and everyone, please post some mini pix of some sketches done with the fude nib. I tend to hold the pen at the far end, almost just like I hold a brush. Just me? You too? Any thoughts?

Jan

Here are a couple that I'm going to post to my blog this weekend, so I have them photographed already. They're just quick gesture sketches done from photos when I returned from the zoo, since I didn't have time to sketch these two characters on location this time around!

It's Iroshizuku Yama-Guri ink in the pen. I used it like a fine-nibbed pen to sketch in the gestures, then lowered the angle to put in the darks. Very convenient not having to switch pens to do that!

My darling hubby went out to do the grocery shopping this morning, and returned not only with food, but also with glycerin, distilled water, and gelatin! I can make pad compound! Woohoo! (This super guy is also taking me to see the movie The Artist sometime today/tonight. )

I need to find a lightweight setup to work at least 12x18 on location. Still searching. Open to suggestions. More specifically, I'm looking for something along the lines of the Nomadic Wise-Walker messenger bag, extremely lightweight, but in a 12x18 size instead of 9x12ish. Ideas encouraged!

Jamie
  #1419   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainySea
That one is Somerset Black Velvet paper. My Signo works fine for me over watercolor for highlights. . . not so well over marker pen though.

I wonder if there is more than one type of Signo because I have three of them, the oldest one is almost out of ink and skips now and that one has just English writing all over. The other two which I got from Jet Pens have the same English Writing on the pen cap clip but the writing on the body of the pen is in Japanese characters.

I am eager to get the Hero!! Is it small? Mine has not yet shipped but I hope soon

Rainy, I assume the one you posted is one of the new ones from JetPens? Maybe I'll get one from them on my next order and compare it with the one I got at Staples.

Jamie
  #1420   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 12:47 PM

Hails from United States

So, I'm ordering some colored papers--a sampling to give several a try with gouache:
Fabriano Tiziano
Bockingford Watercolor paper
Hannemuelle Ingres
Rives BFK

That should keep me busy for awhile. In the meantime, I dug out some tubes of Liquitex Basic acrylic that I found buried in a tub of old art supplies, and have prepped some pages in my journals as well as some sheets. This stuff has to be at least 15 years old, but the three tubes I've tried (black, ultramarine blue and white) were still in great shape. I was amazed.
  #1421   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:04 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Jamie. . . yes, it was one with Japanese lettering. It still says UM-153 on both though.

YAY. . . I got an email from isellpens that my Hero shipped out today priority!
  #1422   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 03:55 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Jamie, excellent on those bird sketches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
I need to find a lightweight setup to work at least 12x18 on location. Still searching. Open to suggestions. More specifically, I'm looking for something along the lines of the Nomadic Wise-Walker messenger bag, extremely lightweight, but in a 12x18 size instead of 9x12ish. Ideas encouraged!
T.H.E. Messenger Bag XL, 12.5" high, 18.25" wide x 7" thick. Half off sale!

J
  #1423   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Leigh, be sure to let us know how you like those papers, and have fun with the acrylics!

Rainy, I wonder if the stuff in the pens can separate a bit. I will definitely try another one with my next order.

Jan, thank you so much re: the sketches comment and the great find on the bag! That one will definitely be a serious contender! I have to call the company and find out 1. How much it weighs, and 2. How come there are six colors shown and only five listed, and how can I be sure that the "Coyote" brown is the nice light beige one and not the ****brown one. I wish they had some other color options. That looks to be a great site. I'm going to do some browsing there later tonight and see what else they have while I'm at it!

Just back from seeing The Artist. Wonderful, wonderful movie! All the rave reviews were well deserved, IMO.

I made the pad compound. Let it cool while I was out. Came home and it's a solid gel. Not happy about that! Did anybody else try it yet? Leigh?

Jamie
  #1424   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 06:46 PM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

great attitude in those sketches

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #1425   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 PM

Hails from United States

Jamie, I've mixed some up a minute ago and am letting it set up. It got me thinking about hide and other animal glues (gelatin IS an animal product, after all) and a little internet research turned up this site: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luth...tchenglue.html
and more homemade glue recipes here: http://http://www.make-stuff.com/for...ulas/glue.html

If you need me, you'll find me in the kitchen, with my mad scientist glasses on. . . .

Edited to add: heat the solid glue in some hot water (set the container in hot water) so that it will soften. That should work.

Last edited by Aberwacky : 03-03-2012 at 08:10 PM.