WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1576   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling - version 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberwacky
Jan, the M86 nib doesn't fit into the Ahab. The feed and nib on that pen are much bigger than on the standard Noodler's piston pens. I wish it did fit, because the Ahab holds so much ink, and feels so nice in my hand.
Leigh, here's a report of a person that got this to work, with my reply. Any thoughts as to what's going on?

PS -- There is also another thread here about other nibs that fit the Ahab, although they all appear to be stiff writing nibs. (The O2B ones look fairly interesting. I have never tried an "oblique".)

Jan
  #1577   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Tumbling Shoals, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Well, I still can't get it to work in the Ahab--at least not satisfactorily for me. It wobbles (no matter where I put it in--in the slot or not) and the ink just pours out way too fast, leaving blobs on the page. I can deal with the wobbles, but not with the ink blobs.

I'll keep playing with it, because it would be great to have the Ahab's capacity and feel with the fude nib. I wonder if heatsetting the nib to the feed would help with the gushing flow? I've never tried it before, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited by Aberwacky : 03-25-2012 at 12:36 PM.
  #1578   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 02:07 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio-1-F
Does anyone know what this is: A Network for Art Journaling? Is anyone a member?

Jan

Well, it seems I am as of two years ago! I followed your link there and made that discovery, though I don't think I ever visited again after my initial sign-up.

Sorry to be so scarce lately.....I've been out painting all week, so I haven't been online much and haven't even had a chance to photograph paintings and sketches lately. My large painting backpack shreded, so it looks like my AMASS tendencies will include another backpack in the very near future. Grrrrrr...

Jan, the Bristlon brushes sound great for gouache! Hope you enjoy them.

Tina, I just took a look at your new blog. Very nice! Congratulations on taking the plunge and getting that underway. Do you find it's inspiring you to get more sketching done?

Jamie
  #1579   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Hails from United States

After much fiddling and experimenting, I finally got a M86 feed to work with an Ahab feed in an Ahab pen. I think this is a your-mileage-may-vary kind of thing, and I don't recommend doing what i did. (Did you know that ebonite will burn, and that it REALLY stinks when it does?)

I think the fit between the M86 nib and the feed was causing my flow issues, and that (proper) heatsetting it would help. After unsuccessfully looking online for information on heatsetting an ebonite feed--I KNOW I've seen a video where Nathan Tardiff shows this--I decided to plunge ahead and use the flame from my gas stove. Mistake number one, because the flame was either too hot or I left it in too long, because the tip of the feed caught on fire and melted a bit. However, I did succeed in getting a better fit to the nib. (A little too good, since I managed to melt the feed to the nib in one spot, and had to scrape the residue off the nib.)

Next, because of the now misshapenness of the tip of the feed (It looked like the bent nib, but bent in the other direction), I got out my xacto knife to carve it off. Then came the sandpaper to smooth that out.

Back into the end of the pen for testing. Now the flow was better, but the end of the feed that the nib sits on was just too big, and kept hitting the paper. In addition, the nib still was a little loose and slid down too far into the pen when I used it. Back out came the knife, and I carved away a little more. Better, but the nib still slid down too far in use.

Hmmmm, what to do? I got out one of my jeweler's hammer, and gently flattened the end of the nib (not the writing end) so that it wouldn't slide so far. Didn't work.

Back to the knife, and I reshaped the end of the feed until the sides were inside the nib, and the top was shallow enough not to hit the paper. More sanding, rinsing and refitting.The nib end now resembles more of the standard Noodler's Flex pen feed. And, it works.

I don't recommend trying this, unless you are as adventurous (read: foolhardy) as I am.

I think there's enough variation in the Ahab feeds that some will work with the M86 nibs without modification, and some won't. If you have more than one of the Ahabs, try several combinations to see if you can get it to work, because I do think the added capacity is great.

Now, to try it as an eyedropper! (Hey, my hands are already covered with ink, might as well!)
  #1580   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Golly moses! Such a process, Leigh! And it worked! The first thing I would have done was the hammering of the bottom of the nib. And alas, that didn't cause enough friction down in there to stop the nib from sliding down (and in my case, back and forth from side to side)? I would have expected that to help. Oh well.

I was thinking that the fit (looseness) between the nib+feed unit and the collar was causing your flow issues. Glad to hear that was wrong.

I think you're a hundred percent correct about the variation among the feeds. That appears to be only available variable in this whole equation. (Too bad Brian Goulet doesn't sell replacement feeds. Just in case yours had totally gone up in flames . . .)

Is this the vid? The heat fitting starts at about 16 minutes. Nathan uses a "tiki" lamp. Of course he does. ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1kWIUkVXPM

Bottom line = BRAVO!

Jamie, thank you for your report on that art journaling forum. Not worth a second look. Got it. Looking forward to seeing the fruits of all that painting! Woohoo!

Jan
  #1581   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Seattle, Washington

Hails from United States

Quote:
Tina, I just took a look at your new blog. Very nice! Congratulations on taking the plunge and getting that underway. Do you find it's inspiring you to get more sketching done?

Thanks, Jamie! Yes, it is inspiring me to sketch more, but so is the weather...looks like we might actually get spring in the Pacific NW after all!
Quote:
Jamie, thank you for your report on that art journaling forum. Not worth a second look. Got it. Looking forward to seeing the fruits of all that painting! Woohoo!

Ditto on both!

Fueled by Clouds & Coffee
http://tina-koyama.blogspot.com/
  #1582   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatagrrl
Thanks, Jamie! Yes, it is inspiring me to sketch more, but so is the weather...looks like we might actually get spring in the Pacific NW after all!
OMG, we are in the deepest depths of Spring down south here. Peak for the cherry blossoms was so last week! All the trees are green and the dogwoods are blooming (I love the dogwoods. Loveliest little tree! Reminds me of when I lived in NC.) Azaleas are budding. Off we go to summer! (Thank goodness for Claritin. Ahhh-choo! Sniff.)

Jan
  #1583   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Hails from United States

That's the one, Jan! Thanks! I might try heatsetting another one, this time with more appropriate tools.

So, everyone--what's your favorite waterbrush?

I have Kuretake, Koi (same as Kuretake but rebranded, I think) Pentel Aquash, those camel-hair Masters ones, and some no names. I can't decide which I like best.

The Pentel seems to put out a more consistent flow of water, and the Kuretake is drier, often needing a squeeze to get the water flowing. Both have advantages.

The Masters camel hair is a whole 'nuther thing, and I do really like those, but they use much more water, and aren't as useful for digging around in pans as those with nylon brushes.

What do ya'll think?
  #1584   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 10:25 AM

Hails from United States

Spring is a month early here, and may have already sprung! The azaleas are blooming, the dogwoods are in full force, and my fruit trees already have little fruits on them!

And, of course, there's a coating of yellow pollen over everything in sight. I started allergy shots a year ago, and I'm seeing a huge difference this year, which makes doing anything outside much more pleasant, such as (to tie back into the thread) taking my art journal outside.

Yesterday, I decided to make some new drawing boards for inside and outside, and used some 1/4" thick luan offcuts to whip some up. Two of them were triangles, so I cut off the pointiest parts and sanded the edges--not sure how these will work out, but they offer some possibilities. The other is a rectangle--24" x 16", which offers plenty of room for paints, water, towels and paper.

I may modify the smaller ones for my sons--they would be good for them, and it would be nice for them to have their own.
  #1585   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

I've only got the Derwent waterbrushes but was very surprised at how I like them - not for 'proper' paintings but for sketching they are really useful.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #1586   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberwacky
What do ya'll think?
My fav is the Pental Aquash, the large size. (It appears from pix that the "Derwent waterbrush" is an Aquash.)

More here in Observations on the Waterbrush, by Russ Sutler.

And Water Brushes: a Comparison Between Niji, Koi, Pentel and Yasutomo.

Luan? Is luan plywood? Did you paint it?

Jan
  #1587   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks for the links on waterbrushes.

Luan is an inexpensive plywood, lightweight and on the soft side. It's used for making doll houses and the like, but not much for building (although I've seen it used as paneling) Here's more info: http://www.insidewoodworking.com/luanplywood.html

I haven't painted them, although I did put a coat of sealer on one. If I go forward with them, I'll probably put a coat or two of polyurethane on them to protect them and make them easier to clean. Or not--depending on how industrious I feel. The wood is kind of pretty on it's own. If I give them to the boys, I'll let them paint them with acrylic craft paint, and then seal them.
  #1588   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

I have a Kuretake waterbrush and really love using it. I have the medium size, have thought about getting a smaller one as well but just haven't got around to it yet.

You are so industrious Leigh. Love that your boys enjoy doing art and you get them involved too.
  #1589   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 PM

Hails from United States

I'm not that industrious, I'm just good at finding fun projects to do when I need to be doing the NOT fun ones!

I find the small brushes of both Pentel and Kuretake a bit too small for me, but I like larger brushes in general. I use the large most often, and although I find this one http://www.jetpens.com/Kuretake-Wate...t-Head/pd/2681 intriguing, I haven't really used it.
  #1590   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Hmmmm that does look intriguing. Like the idea of a flat brush. And convertable...