WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1546   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 09:47 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling - version 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberwacky
And, I agree--a pox on the stickers! I noticed many reviews on the Rives lamenting the advent of the stickers, and I've been seeing them more and more on other papers, too. Some are only on very lightly, and come off without marring the paper, but some pull off the surface of the paper or leave sticky residue leaving that section of the paper useless. Maybe a write-in campaign of some kind would help. . .
Now why didn't I look at those reviews?! Stoooopid of me.

Anyway, I decide to do a little research: turns out Canson has swallowed both Arches and Rives. Canson then was in turn swallowed by a big paper conglomerate based in the UK called Arjo Wiggins Appleton, which itself has been swallowed by a French bank.

The odds of getting someone at a French bank to care about stickers and my journal paper are zero to nil. I may take a big swallow myself and look into locally-made papers, like Twinrocker and Saint Armand. Any other North American art paper manufacturers that might be worth a look? (Might be worth a trip up to NYCentral. Hmm. Jamie, have you ever been there? Sounds like Paper Heaven to me.)

Jamie, good tip on the diluted matte medium! I used 50/50 mix of W&N "Acrylic Clear Gesso Base" (which I had hanging around here for some reason) and water. It works great! Both the gouache and the Supracolors sit up nice and crisply. Good tip! Thanks!

Jan
  #1547   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Tumbling Shoals, Arkansas

Hails from United States

When I was looking at all those papers, there were some made in the US besides Yupo.

Folio is, according to blick: http://www.dickblick.com/products/folio-paper/
I just checked the ones I got, and NO STICKERS!!! (The Fabriano had stickers, by the way)

And so is Coventry Rag: http://www.dickblick.com/products/le...try-rag-paper/

And Stonehenge http://www.dickblick.com/products/stonehenge-paper/

While we wouldn't have individual pull in a NoMoS (No More Stickers) campaign, I bet Blick would, with the volume they buy. If we all review the papers and note the sticker issue as well as emailing them with our complaints, they could push back on the companies. I've found Blick to be fairly responsive.

You can also call Blick and request a refund for the portion of the paper that is damaged by the stickers, since it is a defective product. $$$ talks
  #1548   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:47 PM

Hails from United States

Tina,
You can use smaller sheets--you just need more of them or make smaller books. I've used standard 8-1/2x11" paper and just folded it once!

Leigh
  #1549   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Yes Tina, books can be any size. That includes pamphlets.

Boo, on stickers. I was in Micheal's several weeks ago looking for 90lb watercolor paper, no specific brand, just wanted something to experiment on. Every single sheet I saw had a sticker on it. Not discretely in the corner, but 6 to 10 inches onto the paper! They actually didn't have any watercolor paper in 90lb so I didn't get anything.
  #1550   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 03:47 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

No, Viv. . . I will google that.
  #1551   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDebby
Boo, on stickers. I was in Micheal's several weeks ago looking for 90lb watercolor paper, no specific brand, just wanted something to experiment on. Every single sheet I saw had a sticker on it. Not discretely in the corner, but 6 to 10 inches onto the paper! .

Yes, stickers in the middle of the page are uncalled for in the art paper world. Even the "backside" is some artist's front/useable side. And there are very removeable stick-on label materials nowadays, no excuse. I work in the Art Department at a popular art/hobby store, and let me tell you, some label is needed when you shelve dozens of colors, whites, & types of paper by the sheet. The prices go from $1 to $20 and I wouldn't want the unknowing cashier to guess wrong if I was buying the inexpensive ones!! It gets soooo mixed up on the shelves thru handling by customers (and sometimes employees). It is a dilemma. So if these paper makers have been in business a few hundred years (yes) they certainly can LIGHTLY adhere a label in the far corner- as most are machine made. I'm sure Canson, et al, makes enough profit to adjust this area. I have to pricetag EVERY sheet in the store, and try to always be as close to the corner beyond the manufacturer sticker, or on that sticker. I'll continue to try to improve my technique for all the artists' benefit! Write the manufacturers!!!
  #1552   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandAlArt
Yes, stickers in the middle of the page are uncalled for in the art paper world. Even the "backside" is some artist's front/useable side.
I'd expand on that: Stickers that damage the paper located anywhere on a sheet, back or front or middle of the page or near the edge, are unacceptable. What you call "the backside" is of course the front of the next page in a art journal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandAlArt
Write the manufacturers!!!
Alas, Candace, as good as that advice is in theory, as I said, I doubt a French banker (the owner of Canson/Rives/Arches) is gonna care much about stickers.

This is an example of the manufacturer, and/or the middleman, and/or the retailer putting their own (labeling and processing) needs ahead of the needs of the customer.

Rather than write the manufacturer, which is fruitless in this case, much better for my own purposes is changing my allegiance to a company with a customer-first philosophy.

BTW, in the same order from Blick were two packets of 10 big sheets of Strathmore Aquarius II, NONE of which had any stickers on them.

Jan
  #1553   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Ottawa

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio-1-F
This is an example of the manufacturer, and/or the middleman, and/or the retailer putting their own (labeling and processing) needs ahead of the needs of the customer.
Have you ever tried to tell the difference between 300 styles of paper while you have a customer saying "Oh it must be free then" because you don't have a code for it? It's partially for the customer's benefit as well.
That being said, I work for a local art store and it's frustrating for us, my coworkers and I, to see stickers on paper. The worst offenders are by far Canson, every drawing paper provided by them has a sticker, they thankfully don't put them on their watercolour papers but that's the only one. When we received bundles of paper to our store, one of us grabs a 2B pencil and writes our call-up code in one of the corner. There are only a handful of papers we don't do this on. One is terraskin, because graphite isn't erasable one it, well at least not easily.
  #1554   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

I understand the need for paper to be labeled with identification or bar code for the retailer. My complaint is the middle of the paper location. I also, having worked in retail, appreciate the need for something that doesn't come off easily because unscrupulous buyers will swap stickers for a lesser price on their item. (Of course causing problems with the person who is buying the less expensive item and being charged, based on the sticker, for a more expensive item. ) I'm just asking that it be in a corner, not the middle of the sheet.
  #1555   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Idiotic Question of the Day (forgive me, my friends!!!) RE: Noodler's Ahab pen ---> what's the little clear tube for? (The one that fits into the hole at the bottom of the feed.) If you leave it in, you can't work the plunger. If you set the pen up as an eyedropper, why bother with the tube?

Thanks in advance.

Jan
  #1556   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 03:12 PM

Hails from United States

I don't know what the tube is for, but I don't think it's necessary. I lost it on one pen and didn't notice any difference in performance, and I remember in one of Brian's mailbags someone asked the question and he said it isn't needed.
  #1557   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

It's supposed to act like an air relief valve on the pen. Not strictly necessary being so tiny, just helpful.
  #1558   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

You set up an AHAB as an eyedropper?

That baby must have taken a whole bottle of ink to fill, lol!

I have a question too, since I just today took out my clear AHAB to fill with ink. Is it normal for the plastic to look stained and ugly after a while? My clear one isn't so pretty anymore, oh well..
D.
  #1559   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Enthusiast
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I just wanted to say thanks (I think to Jamie but to others as well as I can't find the actual post) about recommending the Platinum Carbon ink as a waterproof ink. I forgot I had some because it didn't work in my Noodler's flex pen. But I received my Alpha Series Stillman & Burns journal yesterday and my first drawing was an inked sunflower colored in with colored pencil. I let the Noodler's ink dry for a long time and also blow dried it and it still smeared.
My old Blade disposable fountain pen finally ran out if it's ink and I filled it with the carbon ink and drew another picture in the journal and seconds later it was dry and no smears.
I also filled the pen, as I read here as well, by putting the body in hot water to create a vacuum and then dipping the nib in the ink - it worked like a charm. It even made a sucking noise. I was surprised it really worked.
My next experiment in the journal is ink and watercolor pencil.
Thanks again,
Katy
  #1560   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Thank you Debby and Leigh for the info on that microscopic tube. I wasn't sure what the heck it was . . . still not, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon
You set up an AHAB as an eyedropper?

That baby must have taken a whole bottle of ink to fill, lol!
I didn't. At least not yet. But the instructions say you can. I agree about the whole bottle! The barrel looks like it'll hold a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon
I have a question too, since I just today took out my clear AHAB to fill with ink. Is it normal for the plastic to look stained and ugly after a while? My clear one isn't so pretty anymore, oh well..
D.
My clear one arrived brand new out of the plastic bag looking kind of scuffed and dull. Not stained, but not sparkling shiny pristine either.

I love the whole mystique around Noodler's! If I've said this once I've said it a hundred times, someone ought to write a dissertation about Nathan and his whole operation. It's marketed as such a niche/cult/insider thing but he's probably bigger than Microsoft. Man probably tools around in a Ferrari. But hires his brother's 13-year-old kid (judging from the quality of it) to create the printed directions for the Ahab, using a 1956 Brownie camera for the pix and an old clickey-clack typewriter for the text and a stumpy #2 pencil for the "art" on the backside. Sheesh! (What a guy! Eh? Love 'em!)

Jan