WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Smiths Grove, Kentucky - Near Mammoth Cave National Park

Hails from United States
Painting on Saw Blade

Hello,

My grandfather had a saw mill and cut lumber with a huge round blade. My cousin has requested that I paint our grandfathers old home place on the saw blade for my aunt. I have never painted on metal. What type of paint do I use? How do I prepare it before painting? How do I seal it after painting?

I currently paint in oils and watercolor and do not believe that they will work on this metal. Any suggestions are appreciated. I do have a year to plan, sketch and complete the painting. My mind can see the painting, but I am now sure how to get started.

Help!

MyraRenee
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Smiths Grove, Kentucky - Near Mammoth Cave National Park

Hails from United States
Re: Painting on Saw Blade

Rose Queen,

Thanks so much, I did not think to check at about.com. Their information is good. I am happy that it says I can use oil. I have not painted with acrylics very much and prefer oil.

I appreciate your help!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2007, 08:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Hi Myra, welcome to the Mixed Media forum.

Mexican Folk Art of the 19th century is painted on tin with oil and these paintings were painted by artists that really didn't have much experience at art or materials. I have several pieces that have scratches because of whatever they went through as the years went by, and the oil paint seems to be applied with no preparation at all but maybe an oil underpainting. I would seal it with varnish for oil paintings but would wait at least two weeks before doing it.

Ooops, sorry I hadn't seen Rose Queen's link. There you have it solved.

Last edited by Mary Woodul : 12-28-2007 at 08:50 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2008, 08:50 PM

Hails from United States

I used to alot of decorative painting and when i painted on metal i would use spray paint for a base (not gloss) Then i would use acrylics and lastly coat it with a few layers of water based polyurethene (spelling)?
Carole
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Immortalized
Wisconsin, USA

Hails from United States

I usually make sure the metal is faily clean, prime with flat-black Rustoleum spray, and paint with acrylics. Finish w/ matte sealer. I paint a lot of sawblades....... Here's some examples:

Last edited by ArtistPete : 01-06-2008 at 07:45 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2008, 07:48 AM
London, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi everyone

I hope you don't mind me gatecrashing this thread! I have a lot of metal I want to paint on but I want to incorporate the surface texture/colour/patina/rust. Can I get a spray on primer that will protect these features but not obscure them? I will be working in oil, acrylic, enamel, inks and collage on steel, copper and aluminium.

Once again, sorry for butting in!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2008, 08:57 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

You're not butting in! It's a perfectly relevant question for this thread

You can use a clear spray to protect and slow down the rusting, and then you can work right over it, but just know that it will almost certainly continue to rust. No biggie as long as you know that and don't mind.

I love rust, and have a collection of rusty stuff that I use to pattern my plain fabrics. Rust is a blast, but it's unpredictable
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2008, 11:18 AM
London, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Thank you Cyndi. That's brilliant...it's actually reassuring that it will continue to rust, I like pieces that evolve over time. There's a series of small copper sculptures I made about 3 years ago and every time I take them out to look at they've changed...they now have a amazing shot of bright green patina. Thinking about it I should have photographed them at each stage.

Is there a particular type/make of spray I should use?

Thanks again for your help
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2008, 11:49 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

I usually use Krylon, for no particular reason than that it's easily available here in the USA, and seems to work for me! Krylon makes acrylic sprays with various finishes (gloss, satin, matte) and also a spray varnish. I'm not sure why to use acrylic vs varnish, but I use them both sort of interchangeably.

Maybe there's someone around who knows more about the distinction between them than I do... ?