WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2004, 07:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
Re: Drawing setup

mick, in this case you're trying to compare an apple to an orange. find a simple still life or landscape setup that is fairly simplified like your photo.

The bosch is so large that it becomes almost impossible to be viewed as a whole and wasn't meant to be...unless your photo is then put into the same format so that it too has to be seen from a large distance, then that's why i say it's comparing apples and oranges...
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Derby UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Sorry arlene
I was only comparing, from the view I've had from the computer screen
Approx same size
Mick
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Ft. Lauderdale

Hails from United States

I would be very interested to see the artist do sketches from the actual set up as often it is easier to intuitively find a pleasing composition when working from life than from a photograph. I think there are just not enough good things happening here to pull it together as is.

As to the relevance of the so called "rules" of design and composition there is an analogy that I like to use with my students. I tell them to think of the principles of design and composition as a list of ingredients that can be put into a good cake. Some are common such as eggs and wheat flour and others more unusual like pineapple or even sauerkraut. Some would be hard to do without, like eggs, but it is possible to make a good cake without them. You do not need to use all of the ingredients on the list in one cake, only enough in the right combination to make it taste good. I believe this is why we see paintings that "break the rules" and still work well.

Anita
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2004, 09:36 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickhawkes
Larry

I'm sorry to drag this on, but there are some exceptions to rule.
if I may insert a quote here that I have found whilst trying to learn more about composition.

Mick

if everyone were the same...the world would be a boring boring place!

I suggest if you like a thing...be true to yourself and just do it. Forget advice or the experience of others.

If after 20 years...you have little fanfare, few sales, disinterest of galleries and are just feeling sorta like...geez..."what happened?"...then you might want to consider perhaps your compositional tastes just march to the beat of a different drummer and to heck with the rest of the world.

So long as looking back, you can say you celebrated living life by creating, then what does it matter what anyone will think about your body of life's work!

That's where I'm at today. After all is said and done...reputation and 50 cents might buy you a cup of coffee. Who really cares anyway!

You like the way a thing looks...can find others that agree? Well what else is needed. No sense bothering to consider contrary opinion.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has at least two of them, and most stink!

I certainly take no offense when my thoughts or opinions run off someone like water off a duck's back. Perhaps my ideas were stench to the other and needed to be dispensed with.

One advice maybe worth considering in looking for comments. Consider the source.

IF you like an artist's work...and seek their comments, and wouldn't mind such comments helping you grow, chances are its because you believe the direction that artist has grown is a direction you wouldn't mind growing yourself.

If someone likes my chaos...I'll share why my chaos seems to work for me. You like Bosch...seek to make yours work for reasons his did for him. Simple...

take care....

Larry

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 09-26-2004 at 09:48 PM.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2004, 09:39 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Orsini
I believe this is why we see paintings that "break the rules" and still work well.

Anita

breaking rules works to separate a work from the rest of the mundane and ordinary. In a world where we are bombarded with images and clamor for attention, breaking rules may be a very good thing. However...having a unique thing will still catch the eye for reasons, and there is reason to reason.

peace

Larry
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2004, 10:31 AM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Orsini
I would be very interested to see the artist do sketches from the actual set up as often it is easier to intuitively find a pleasing composition when working from life than from a photograph. I think there are just not enough good things happening here to pull it together as is.

As to the relevance of the so called "rules" of design and composition there is an analogy that I like to use with my students. I tell them to think of the principles of design and composition as a list of ingredients that can be put into a good cake. Some are common such as eggs and wheat flour and others more unusual like pineapple or even sauerkraut. Some would be hard to do without, like eggs, but it is possible to make a good cake without them. You do not need to use all of the ingredients on the list in one cake, only enough in the right combination to make it taste good. I believe this is why we see paintings that "break the rules" and still work well.

Anita
Anita, that is an excellent analogy. might i use that one myself with credit to you of course?
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Ft. Lauderdale

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlene
Anita, that is an excellent analogy. might i use that one myself with credit to you of course?
Absolutely.
Anita
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Arizona

Hails from United States

I loved a statement an old South Texas boat mechanic used to make.

"If it dont fit; dont force it; it aint fer it."

Jack