WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2019, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Northern New England

Hails from United States
Almost Finished this project - Lotus in bloom

Well, it's been almost 3 months work, and only a few finishing touches left to do so thought I'd share what I've got done.

I'll put tonight's photos up first, and little by little, add the various components to it, so you have somewhat of an idea of the process.

I used white Cold Porcelain this time. I didn't want the colors to be 'dead' looking, by making the whole thing already colored and then adding.

I don't know if I'd do it that way again, given a chance, but at least this time it worked for me.

I used watercolors from Susan Scheewe, Pan Pastels and dye from Procion for the coloring. I sealed them with semi-gloss varnish from the department store...It's been a long, long process...learned some things, some things I would do again, some things not...but that's life, live and learn. So, each one is in effect, a sculpture, a water color painting, a chalk painting, and /or dyed piece. Multimedia piece?

Blessings, LynneDe

As I will never take this exact path again may I not leave a kind word unspoken or a kind deed undone. May my life count for good, may the world be better for my having been in it when the final reckoning is accomplished. Blessings, LynneDe
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2019, 06:14 PM
Yarrow, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Almost Finished this project - Lotus in bloom

Wow, LynneDe, what a lot of work. They are beautiful.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2019, 08:07 PM
WC! Guide
New York City

Hails from Puerto Rico

Wow, these flowers or plants look so real, what an undertaking to do all that. I thought it was photos. Beautiful work.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:42 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Wow! Love your work!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Northern New England

Hails from United States

Thanks for the affirmations.

I was talking to the person I am preparing these for...they asked if I could do one more arrangement...so glad I had most all the materials ready to put one more together...not all done, but mostly...so will add number 26 to the others. I had a feeling when I started that I needed 1 extra...I think it was a 'God thing'...so pot is already painted in colors of India, I had the 15 petals already formed, the centers done, leaves done...had to put stems to everything and am waiting for them to dry before I begin again...this time through, it will be easier, I know what I am doing...So grateful!

(and this is why I have not been able to do the monthly challenge for a while, hoping for July to be back with everyone once more, creating in cold porcelain and painting/coloring my 3-D 'canvas')

Blessings, LynneDe
As I will never take this exact path again may I not leave a kind word unspoken or a kind deed undone. May my life count for good, may the world be better for my having been in it when the final reckoning is accomplished. Blessings, LynneDe

Last edited by LynneDe : 06-26-2019 at 10:19 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2019, 02:26 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Wow you have been really busy. These are all phenomenal!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2019, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Northern New England

Hails from United States

Thanks, Kay. Much appreciate the affirmation.

I am hoping to be able to deliver the 26 of them next week...they will be needed for the week following. I believe the Senior Banquet is the 10th. The theme this year is India...I so hope these work for it.

Sorry, I'm tired right now, high humidity and muggy and I am trying to prepare the arrangements AND clean and pack for a week away in our motor home...repairing the toilet and black tank (broken when we bought it) and mice were in it this winter...so much to do, I am exhausted.

Blessings and gratitude - our motor home passed inspection yesterday, so one less hurdle left to jump over to going away for a week...I haven't been able to leave my husband alone at home, so I haven't really been around anyone for over a year...so looking forward to this! LynneDe
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Northern New England

Hails from United States

I have completed the project. They have gone to the Senior Banquet (for people 60 and over) and each table had a prize of the lotus. I was not able to attend, gratefully, I was home - because I got ill that day - likely stress, but the lotus were a hit.

Two of my dear friends actually won one each...they were both so tickled about getting one. I hear when the prize, won by having a green paper napkin at their setting, was announced, the room broke out in clapping. I've gotten a few messages on Facebook too, about how pretty they were. So, I guess it went well.

I will include the photos, as promised...and you can see the various stages, though I did not photograph everything, there's enough to give an idea of the work.

Oh, and the 26th one I had to make last minute? It wasn't used, but the person that made the arrangements wanted to purchase it, so it is a pending sale. Very grateful. It will give me enough funds to begin more flowers. And that is a VERY GOOD THING! It is my 'happy place' when I create.

Blessings and gratitude, LynneDe

First, I dyed crochet cotton yellow to make the stamens. When dry, I ran lengths of it in white glue to stiffen it, then cut them to length.

Here is a pod with stamens...The clay was formed in the shape I wanted on the wire, the stamens were glued on and then the wire wrapped in floral tape to hold them together.

Here are the 'older' pods, used for the arrangements to look like the petals and stamens had already fallen off.

I also made buds, to look like flowers would open in time. I glued them to cardboard to spray with fixative. I used primarily Pan Pastels to color the buds, and didn't want the pastel to be wiped away. I also used a cake decorating dust, to give them more 'life'...the illusion of moisture and shine that a real bloom has.

Here's a bloom in process...I'm painting the stem on it with watercolors.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

They look sensational LynneDe.

www.artbyshanec.com
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2019, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Northern New England

Hails from United States

Thank you, Shane. I appreciate the affirmation very much!

Is there any interest in seeing any more of the process or have you been bored already by it all?

Oh, I did receive one photo of the Senior Banquet set up, it was mostly through the meal, I think, but it does have them on the tables...let me know.

Blessings and gratitude...the 'extra' one made for the director has been purchased, she wanted it and is paying my asking price. Very grateful! LynneDe
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2019, 12:08 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

These are utterly amazing LynneDe, such a massive undertaking and superb result .... you are a very generous lady!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2019, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Northern New England

Hails from United States

Very kind of you, Maureen. Actually, though I appreciate the thought, I'm not that giving, I'm quite selfish...I have been blessed with so much, I should give more....I am trying to learn to be more a 'giver' than a 'taker'.

In gratitude, LynneDe
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Northern New England

Hails from United States

Here's the photo taken at the banquet by one of the winners...we were in school together, so it meant a lot to her to win.

Blessings, LynneDe
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2019, 11:08 AM
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

Wow, those are amazing. Even more amazing to take on such a detailed and lengthy project. Thank you for sharing the process. Well Done!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2019, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Northern New England

Hails from United States

Thank you, Janice. It was the biggest art project in my life thus far. I was grateful to have a part in the celebration for seniors. (even though I am one, a younger one, but one, lol.)

Blessings, LynneDe