Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Partner: Blick Art Materials Penmarker to write on top of textured acrylic painting?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone, I’m looking for a paint marker/pen or an ink marker/pen that will write well on top of an acrylic painting- likely a thick textured, medium to high gloss surface… will be doing a simple calligraphy/writing of some kind with a white highlight or shadowing. So I was initially thinking I had to use a water based paint marker but then I did a little looking up and saw that a marker/pen with “India ink” would give me more solid/opaque color markings that would not fade… does this sound right? I need a nice solid/opaque marking that will go overtop bright and dark colors. Likely need a medium and fine or brush tip in black and fine and extra fine or bush tip in white- lowest price/ most economical but that will produce best results with more ease of application… I’ve recently got back into art and have been exploring acrylic abstracts. I love most of what I’ve created so far and I’m going to keep doing it but feel I need to explore finding my own artistic identity so part of what I think I’m going to do is commit to creating a new piece every day from start to finish based on whatever I think, feel, see etc. and I think I might want to do some kind of bright casual pieces with inspirational writing or saying on it… it’ll be something different, simple, but hopefully joy evoking. :-) since I’ve started this forum has been invaluable, so much information, so helpful! I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions, thank you very much! :-)

Thank you for your questions!

We generally advise using acrylic paint markers with acrylics, and Liquitex, Amsterdam and Sugar (by Ironlak) would be good ones to try, especially if you may be painting over them, either with acrylic, or with a varnish of some kind. Testing is always recommended when topcoating the markers, as some brands of acrylic marker (not the above brands, but others) have been known to rehydrate and smear when brushed over.

Another option would be to use an acrylic ink or High Flow Acrylic in a paint marker you can fill yourself. Montana and Molotow offer empty markers you could fill yourself, which allows you to even mix a custom color.

~Andrea

- your friends at Blick Art Materials

Thank you! Very helpful :)

I recommend Niutop Acrylic paint marker pens, I’ve been surprised with smooth color up ability and long-lasting colors. It can use for rock painting, stone, fabric, glass, ceramic, ect. The pen offers a lot of vibrant pigments, and the tip is durable and robust for creating fine lines easily.

noah

There are a lot of good choices out there for beginners if you know where to look. I say go for this one. It comes with 72 different colors of good cheap markers, giving you the color options that you need for your artwork. I think the selection of color is good and better than what more expensive brands can offer you, so if you are starting and you are looking for more colors to add to your repertoire, this should be a good choice.

Mimi Richman

I think Chalkola is a great marker. The paint is evenly applied, the thickness is just right, the paint does not run or glob, the lines are thin and the tip is durable.

ChadAAlvarado

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.