Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting What to name this thing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    AllisonR

40x65cm. Was thinking of naming it “The Photo” to be cheeky, since obviously it is a painting, not a photo, and I painted it from life, not from a photo. Maybe I’ll just name it iPad or The Monitor?

I love chiaroscuro that used to be done with candlelight to make dramatic light and dark contrast. But I wanted to do it with a modern light source. I will probably do several more of these, using a phone screen and a monitor screen. C & C always welcome.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
        enelram

I like this very much. Great idea using the screen as the source of light. It really works.

ianuk

I like it, very well executed. I’d call it ‘ilight’, a play on both iPad and highlight.

Delofasht

I see them all as things through which we see the world. Without my daily coffee, I am going to see things quite a bit different. :lol:

Nice work, the screen as a light source is tricky to achieve. Lots of fun little objects to explore, the pages in particular are attractive to me.

- Delo Delofasht

“Pads”?

Dcam
                        Pinguino

Looking for a “cheeky” title, you say?

I suggest Techno-Social Anarchy in the Era of Global Warming, accompanied by a long and ranting artist’s manifesto. Might get it into a museum.

How about “Modern Muses” or “I-Muse” or “The progression of the Muse”
                            Great subject and very well done. The two light sources are evident, and the values work well.

ronsu18

that’s a great finish, the book is quite spectacular with all the different shadow values&colours and the translucency. i’ll pick up a magnifying glass and think out loud how there’s a triangle by darks that might work even better if there was a dark yet small vertical force, a heavier shadow dot under the lower fastening of the ear of the cup, and on the strap almost directly under it. that would turn the triangle of darks upside down and relate to the relaxed comp with more tension. (i’m chasing dust particles, obviously.)

C&C welcome

AllisonR

I like it, very well executed. I’d call it ‘ilight’, a play on both iPad and highlight.

hmm, yes, I think so. iLight – Lilies. Then I can name the next ones iLight – whatever I end up painting.

ronsu18 – not sure I understand you about the upside down triangle shapes.

Thanks everyone. In reality I think this painting needs one more color layer, but I am about to go to Greece so I doubt I will do it before I go and I probably will want to move on to something new when I get back.

ianuk

Bon Voyage, Allison. Enjoy.

ronsu18

back to complete the sentence, this is good in case a beginner sees this. not my blatant nitpicking, but the principle of colors combined, or like here, darks combined.
                                            i’ve no proper tools for this, the change implied is probably compressed away. the principle however is very clear.
                                            [ATTACH]863641[/ATTACH]
                                            changes:
                                            there’s a dark spot btw cup&table where the ear shadow touches down.
                                            there’s massive misplaced hatching that should darken the strap to the left of the ear.
                                            there’s equal hatching to the right of the ear and that is a mistake, it did not help.

the imagined combination areas don’t necessarily run from dark spot to dark spot, sometimes a [dark] can only pull the imagined shape toward itself without having the ‘strength’ to pull it all the way and anchor it on its location.

comparing the two upper images, notice how on the right, harmony is disturbed
                                            – the painting is so incredibly, minutely balanced in value that the slightest d o t
                                            brings it off! if it were a clear wip, the next step would be to counter weight the left with more dark under the book, and/or a light d o t somewhere light.

Allison, that was an experience, placing the dark on the ear shadow and ooops there it goes! it’s off! sorry for blair witching your painting, but it turned out to be the perfect lesson 😊

C&C welcome

AllisonR

On vacation in Athens with limited Internet access and no pictures. Will read replies when I get back home.

Pinguino

On vacation in Athens with limited Internet access and no pictures. Will read replies when I get back home.

Oh, how mighty Athens has fallen, from the pinnacle of Western Philosophy to the nadir of limited Internet access! :crying:

AnnieA

I love the contrast between old media (book) and new (electronic device) in your painting and the lighting is very well done already, imo.

Liber Digitalis? Libris Electronicus?
                                                        I’ve seen liber (sing.) and also Liber and Libris (pl.) as Latin for “book” and really don’t know what is the correct Latin translation for either term, but the idea is to use the ancient language of Latin to describe the modern version of a book (“digital book or e-book (electronic-book)).

Have fun in Athens, Allison!

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                        [FONT=Palatino]
                                                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.