Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time January 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Debby

Well, here we are another calendar year. :lol: Happy New Year!

The temps have dropped. We went down to 8F last night. Since DH is now on night shift for the foreseeable future, I have switched to nights with him. I hope I can adapt. I did ok, but not great the last time he did this.

I’ve been working on a personal project rather than crafts for sale. I’m embroidering the yoke on the linen shirt I cut out. I’ve done the left side and am now mirroring the design on the right side. I’ll have to get a picture.

Hope all is well and we all have a healthier year this year.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Humburger

Thank you for the welcome. I would love to see a photo of your embroidery. 😊

Ginny
            www.virginiacmccoy.com
            C & C Welcome

Happy New Year!

Well, I slowly emerge from my weeks involved with the Great Dickens[/URL] Christmas Fair. My, what an experience. It is so much more than a craft fair or seasonal entertainment. The Fair works to be as immersive as possible, evoking the world of London circa 1850-1860. 800+ theatrical performers, both on stage and wandering the “streets” as residents of London, chatting about what to buy for Christmas dinner and events and people of the 1850’s. Costuming is strict – those working/volunteering must dress to the period. And many guests – those who buy tickets to come in – are in costume as well.

My husband and I

Part of my educational display

My cart. Not with the lighting – this was from a day midweek when I was restocking.

This is the cart across from me. Gives a feel for the event.

Now back to getting my studio in order and new art quilts prepared for submissions.

Jen

Jennifer Landau
            Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Ginny, so glad you stopped by to chat with us.

Jen! Long time, no see. However, can see how you were very busy the last couple of months. Great event. Went there one year when I lived in CA. It was fun even if I wasn’t in costume. Looking forward to seeing more of you in the forum this year with you art quilts.

Still working on the embroidery. I really must get a picture.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Wow Jen Great costumes! I also love that kind of stuff!

My youngest sent me pictures of the socks I knit for them.

She is doing much better, He now has pneumonia…. :rolleyes:

I am just knitting more socks. The weather has been horrible. It keeps getting very mild, above freezing and then dropping to well below freezing which means everything becomes super slippery. And right now it is snowing which means you can’t see the slippery bits.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, great socks. Looks like you got the fit correct. Sorry about the sneaky snow hiding the slippery ice. Do you have ice creepers? DH gets a new pair every winter at work. They work fairly well.

Still embroidering, but can see the end. Yay! Then onto sewing the shirt together and hoping I measured correctly and it’ll fit.

Debby
                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

whow! check out the socks!

Jennifer Landau
                        Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Lena

Thanks Jen but it is just self striping yarn. These kind of socks are really mindless circling. The Leopard print legs do have a ripple pattern knit in it but his were just a rib knit. I do them toe up with an after thought heel.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, they are still great looking socks.

I finished the embroidery for the shirt. It isn’t as elaborate as I originally intended. My hands are not happy doing the fine motor work for hours on end anymore so I simplified the design. I know, I know, take a picture. Now to get the garment sewn up.

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

The last week or so has been kind of ugly. Weather, post xmas blues….And now I have a weird sore throat.
                                    I did a lot of knitting
                                    This is a shawl. A great designer died last month – MMario
                                    So a bunch of us did a knit-along as a tribute.
                                    I chose his Uhura shawl – a tribute to Star Trek.

Now I have to block it.
                                    Tomorrow is my next painting class but if this throat issue continues….

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, sorry about the sore throat. Take care of yourself. The shawl is gorgeous.

I’ve been sewing, slowly. The top I was making in linen with embroidered yoke, we are not speaking to each other anymore. The linen was so loosely woven it stretched all out of shape. I spent the time to run stay stitching around the pieces. But, just stitching caused shape changes. Arg! I got it together enough to try on and it’s too large. I was shocked. Usually, I find clothing is too small for me. Anyway, I decided too big was fine. I could wear it as a layer in colder weather. But, when I tried to finish it, I ran across problems with the lining of the yoke. Between it being too large, the neckline opening in the front not laying comfortably and the lining being stretched out of recognition, it got thrown in a corner. Haven’t touched it since.

I decided to sew up a skirt. I’ve had some green fabric sitting for a couple of years waiting for me to make the skirt. It’s almost done. I have to pace myself to save my wrist from hurting. I’m being very careful of my hands and wrists for the next couple of weeks because of the doll making workshop in February. Don’t want to start out in pain because I know I’ll be hurting by the time I’m done with the 2 days of intensive doll making.

Oh, I should show you the embroidery, even if it’s in the corner with the failed shirt.

Debby
                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Well I have a cold or flu. It is currently not too bad. Cold meds help. I didn’t go to my class because though I felt sort of ok with the meds, I didn’t want to spread the bug.

That is a nice yoke. Very good work!
                                            Loose woven fabric is always difficult to work with. Lining the yoke with firm woven cotton would help. Or some iron on interfacing. Do the iron on to the lining.

I am just making simple socks, going round and round.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, I should have thought of interfacing before I put the whole thing together. And, I didn’t think of that. To salvage the top at this point, I’d need to rip things out first. I’ll give it some thought. Careful going round and round when you’re sick. It can make you dizzy. :) Sending you virtual hugs to get better soon.

I’ve been working on taxes and am basically done. However, the program says that I have a critical error because they haven’t updated the program. That is supposed to happen January 31. So, I’ll just set them aside until then. I’ve been working on the skirt very slowly. I’m trying to rest up my hands so they are in really good shape for that 2 day doll workshop in a couple of weeks. Lots of resting. Watching movies, YouTube videos and reading books. Just letting the hands rest.

Debby
                                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Well that flu/cold is finally over.
                                                    I finished the socks and started a shawl.

I will be going to Yellowknife from March 20 to April 10th, partly to dog sit for my eldest while she goes on a cruise with my Ontario sister and to spend some time with her. In no way will it be spring there but I am hoping it will be a bit warmer then last week when it was -35c with a windchill of -49c. Don’t bother converting to Fahrenheit, that is very very cold. Today it is a warm balmy -19c with snow. My youngest said “Oh how nice you gave yourself a birthday gift!”:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, glad you are feeling better. That is mighty cold! Is it your birthday? If so, Happy Birthday.

Finished the skirt I was working on and somehow measured the elastic for the waist incorrectly. Fortunately, it’s simply too loose on me and easily fixed. Seam ripper time. Next project is a needle book to corral my needles. They are in various states and areas right now. Anyway, that shouldn’t take too long. Of course, now that I started thinking about it, I am having visions of combining my book making with the felt pages to make an actual, well, book. Experimental time.

Debby
                                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.