WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Paint box on Tripod

I have a metal paint box very much like this one, and i'd like to attach it onto a camera tripod just like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtYhRe5gQab/

Is there some sort of attachment piece i need to bolt onto the underside of my metal box?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2019, 12:19 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Paint box on Tripod

Yes, you can buy one from Judsonsart.com (Guerrilla Painter brand) and glue or bolt it on the bottom. https://www.judsonsart.com/collectio...ipod-mount-kit

Alternately, you can buy a 1/4x20 threaded socket piece at most hardware stores and figure out your easiest way to attach it. All tripods and cameras use that universal size: 1/4"x20.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

As said above you need a fixture with a 1/4-20 thread on the boxes bottom. The fixture needs to be flush with the boxes bottom so you need to drill a hole in the box when attaching... say the Judson device. This fixture will allow the tripod to screw onto the box.... but.
Then you need some sort of tripod quick release-lever gadget to make that handy to do. These are sold at camera shops if your tripod did not come with one.
I'd also mention when locating the fixture, put it at the point of ballance when the box is open and a panel and the boxes contents are fitted to it. This will be further towards the back then at first you'd think. That will help keep the box level in use. Enjoy!
-Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 02-08-2019 at 02:06 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2019, 09:44 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfrommerriam
As said above you need a fixture with a 1/4-20 thread on the boxes bottom. The fixture needs to be flush with the boxes bottom so you need to drill a hole in the box when attaching... say the Judson device. This fixture will allow the tripod to screw onto the box.... but.
Then you need some sort of tripod quick release-lever gadget to make that handy to do. These are sold at camera shops if your tripod did not come with one.
I'd also mention when locating the fixture, put it at the point of ballance when the box is open and a panel and the boxes contents are fitted to it. This will be further towards the back then at first you'd think. That will help keep the box level in use. Enjoy!
-Dave
Agreed, particularly about the "point of balance", rather than exact center.

If this sounds hard, it's actually quite easy if you have a drill. And the quick release plate (assuming you have a tripod that uses one) is cheap on eBay.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:00 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
you can buy a 1/4x20 threaded socket piece at most hardware stores and figure out your easiest way to attach it.
An alternative to drilling a hole in the box is to mount a threaded insert into a piece of wood, then epoxy that piece of wood to the bottom of the box.
This is how I usually mount a homemade tripod mount to a homemade pochade box.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

THose threaded inserts are small stamped metal things that have several teeth that bite into the wood. They are inexpensive and will work as described above. But if you want longevity and something that can survive accidents such as a blown over set up I believe the Judsons gadget is your best choice. There are other ways of course... you could get a thick aluminum plate, drill holes in it and then install a Helicoil threaded insert. This basically is a copy of the Judsons device and requires some local machine work. Or.... you could get a 1/4-20 machine nut and have a friendly welder afix it to your box. In that event I'd drill a 5/16" or a 8mm hole at the ballance point and weld the nut on the inside of the box.
-Have fun ! -Dave
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 AM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

Ace hardware has two styles of The nuts. One has little tabes made to be forced into the wood so they don't move. The other has a larger flange with holes and gets screwed to what ever ya want. That would require drilling holes in your box or attaching something on the bottom.

Donald