Home Forums Explore Media Watermedia Sealing Water-based ink

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Wassie

What should one use to seal water-based ink?

If this question has been asked and answered please direct me to the link. This is my first post to this forum.

Hi Quwatha. I am not sure. Maybe some others who read this will know. Is the ink on paper? When I use Tombow brush pens which is black water based ink I do not use any sealant.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

eyepaint

Welcome to the Watermedia forum! As I’m new here, too, I hope someone who knows the answer will come along shortly :)

-- EP Moderator for:
            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Wassie

Hi Quwatha. I am not sure. Maybe some others who read this will know. Is the ink on paper? When I use Tombow brush pens which is black water based ink I do not use any sealant.

I used the Tombow brush pens on Aquabord. I thought I needed to seal it if I don’t frame it behind glass.

janinco

There’s an FAQ on Tombow’s site that mentions sealing with Lasceaux fixative:

Are the Dual Brush Pens light fast?

No. Open faced artwork can fade over time if exposed to direct sunlight. The effect is less for illustrations done inside a book, or paintings that are hung away from windows and protected by UV glass.

Any suggestions to better preserve artwork or paintings done with the markers?

Many artists have mentioned that Lascaux and Mod Podge have worked very well for preservation; however, we have never tested the products with our markers.

– See more at: http://tombowusa.com/support-orders/frequently-asked-questions.html#sthash.SXVrQ6SX.dpuf

Jan

I have used Krylon UV spray for a gouache painting on Aquabord before very successfully. Gouache probably reactivates/runs worse than anything I’ve ever used so I would think the Krylon would work with the brush pens. However, I would try first with a piece you don’t particularly care about.

The secret is to lay the piece flat then use a very, very light spray to seal the ink first. Spray from at least 12 inches above the piece and let the mist gently settle on it. Then use at least three light coats after that.

If you try it, please let us know how it works for you.

Wassie

I asked Dick Blick about this and the response was :

I would recommend the Golden Archival Spray Varnish: http://www.dickblick.com/products/golden-archival-spray-varnish/. It won’t interfere with the water based inks and will provide a layer of UV protection, as well as waterproofing the surface.

I tried it and it seems to work well.

Thanks for that information, Wassie!

vhere

another thing you could experiment with on a quick sketch on the same paper is beeswax polish

One of my students experimented with this over watercolours and it doesn’t move them at al but gives a soft sheen and protects them. Rub on with a soft rag.

eyepaint

another thing you could experiment with on a quick sketch on the same paper is beeswax polish

One of my students experimented with this over watercolours and it doesn’t move them at al but gives a soft sheen and protects them. Rub on with a soft rag.

Oooh this sounds like a good idea to try!

-- EP Moderator for:
                                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Wassie

I never thought of this. Thanks.

anniegstamps

Thanks for all of the info. The tip about spraying a light coat of sealant first is very important. I tend to be heavy handed and have messed things up by blasting them with the spray!

Monastic Bat

Hi folks, yesterday I ran a test with Dorland’s Wax Mediun on Kilimanjaro paper. I use several different inks and Davinci Gouache. The wax does a great job of sealing however it has to be the last step. You can’t put the wax on and then paint or ink over it. I think you can paint over it with oil based paints. Here is a photo of my test piece, shot this morning, note the beads of water. I think the Noodler’s ink smeared because it had not dried enough before I waxed it.
                                            I hope this will be helpful.
                                            Regards,
                                            Greg.

[FONT=Century Gothic]So when is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in??? :lol:

Monastic Bat

One more thought. I didn’t apply a seal coat of spray varnish prior to the Dorland’s Wax. That may have prevented Noodler’s from smearing.
                                                Regards,
                                                Greg

[FONT=Century Gothic]So when is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in??? :lol:

I love Noodler’s but it always smears.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.