WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2020, 09:43 AM

Monument Valley

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Monument Valley
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Suggestions? I think the background clouds need work but I'm conce<br>ed with taking away from the focal point - the light middle ground.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2020, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Monument Valley

When I worked in the Public Relations Department of Beech Aircraft, I had the fun of being assigned to fly a photographer along some of the old-west trails, and Monument Valley was on the list. Spent several days flying the photographer though the Grand Canyon and MV while he shot miles of movie film. Your painting triggered the memory. Nice painting.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2020, 12:33 AM
Sacramento

Hails from United States

I think the clouds are too dark. I thought they were mountains when I first looked at it. I also think you should lighten the sky and make it a truer blue hue which would be a nice complement to the the wonderful oranges that you have.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2020, 11:57 AM

Good advice pprender.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 02:29 AM

I love Arizona/Utah landscapes, Monument Valley is one of the best. Edgar Whitney said "I don't want the truth, I want a beautiful lie", so free yourself from the reference photo. While you were faithful to the color and composition of the photo, I don't think it helps the painting. I think the foreground and middle ground could use some additional separation over the photo. The middle ground rocks can still be orange/yellow, but a cooler (more neutral) shade would help. Or they could be a color of your choosing. Value is king, so perhaps this separation could be created by a value change between the foreground and mid ground. Play with it digitally, and see if you can find anything you like. Best wishes.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 01:41 PM

Great suggestions acfkt. Thank you all.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 11:00 AM

Very nice job and good choice of reference! I wonder if darks are too dark all around? I agree with previous comment about the clouds being dark but I also think the darker shadows beneath the foreground grasses make your grasses pop out more than the softer version in the photo. For me, this could cause the viewer to feel blocked before getting to the main act--those beautiful natural fixtures. Great job. This is definitely a painting I could see hanging in my home!