WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2020, 08:49 AM

The girl and her pet

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The girl and her pet
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 80 X 60 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I painted this little girl and her dog from a photo on the WDE of Wet Canvas.
I was very happy with the dog but the face of the little girl is not good? I think that perheaps I need more lights and shadows ... But I don't know where...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please, if you have skills for painting portraits, would you be so kind to give me some advice?

Last edited by Marochette : 01-20-2020 at 09:08 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2020, 03:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: The girl and her pet

The image is a bit small for seeing details.. if you can upload it larger it will help.. 800x800 is the accepted size I think..
I think the strong orange background might be better if muted or more of a neutral color.. try to avoid the outlined /hard edge around things..

The girl seems a bit washed out, maybe some very soft shadowing at edges of shirt collar, sleeve, under her chin, along hairline..
The WC portrait forum should have info on shadowing for figures..in the sticky threads .. a site search might find it quicker..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=528
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2020, 06:34 AM

Thank you Joy for looking at my painting and for your answer.

Soon, I will post a new photp and I will begin to correct all my mistakes.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2020, 05:05 AM

I like the fact that the dog is different than the girl as it makes us visualy understand the difference in texture between fur and skin if you like .Sometimes in trying to perfect something we actualy erase any potential individuality or expression from our work . I particularly like the fact there is not heavy shading or strong dramatic contrast to give volume etc I like the flat look of it. I am not that knowledgeable on textures but I have been studying composition and something I would say is to look at the overall shapes you have going on there and try to identify the main ones eg the girl and then the dog and then break it down further into smaller section ie the overall shape of the different patches of color of the dogs hair etc (use tracing paper to get an outline) then read up on "superposition and subdivision" etc. it would be a little lengthy to go into on here is why I suggest you look into it online or by book etc.Reason I say this is that it can be used in a piece of work to create and communicate different feelings..and it also can be used to create different depths of field ie you do not need heavy shadeing etc . I think you are a great painter.

Last edited by tidal : 01-22-2020 at 05:31 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 02:35 PM

Thank you tidal for your comments.

First I want to say you that I am proud because you say
"I think you are a great painter"

I know i have already made some progress but I have still to work. I think your words mean I have already get some skills and I am happy because I doubt myself.

I read several times your comments and I do not understand (my english is not perfect too!!!)when you say:"read up on "superposition and subdivision" etc. it would be a little lengthy to go into on here is why I suggest you look into it online or by book etc.
You give me the advice of looking in a book, but what book?

I have read another time the first answer by Joy. It seems to me now he is right...
I am thinking about every idea, and when I would be sure of me, I will put my canvas on the easel another time...

Marochette