WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2019, 02:50 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico & New Brunswick

Exclamation Support for Painter Losing His Vision?

Hi - I'm not new here but have been on WC for many years. Today, a friend contacted me asking for help. His brother, a painter, is quickly losing his sight. Although he can still paint, it is becoming increasingly difficult. My friend asked me if I know of any support network for painters who are (or who are becoming) visually handicapped. I don't know of any, and a quick search here on WC didn't answer my question. Does anyone know of any help network for someone like him?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2019, 04:51 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States
Re: Support for Painter Losing His Vision?

I do. I will be back later on to post some resources. I am about to go out for a while, so I can't bring it all up at the moment. But stay tuned.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2019, 05:20 PM

Thanks. Looking forward to whatever you can provide.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2019, 06:07 PM

I don't have any information regarding resources, as such - although it seems that Artyczar will soon be able to help you in that respect. However, I have for some time been following a gentleman on YouTube who is having to deal with failing eyesight. He goes by the name of OldBlindDoug and this is his channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeI...TCw3Kh94fhF6nQ

At the moment his channel includes both art and 'outdoor life/camping' videos, but he's in the process of separating these aspects and making his main channel just painting videos. Your friend might find Doug's discussions of how he copes with failing eyesight of some use - although I don't know whether his eyesight problem is identical to Doug's. Anyway, thought I'd post just in case it helps. Best wishes to your friend, Brian.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2019, 10:03 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

I'm back, but I'm afraid the organization that I was hoping to give you access to is no longer operating. However, I can give a couple of links to your friend, and on these there are lists of more resources that might be of some use for him for various supports:

Nation Arts and Disability Center

and

The Kennedy's Center's access to the VSA.

Those two websites would be a good place to start. There is definitely a network with the NADC, and he could even become part of the database of artists there. The contact there would be Beth Stoffmacher.

I hope this helps a little.

EDIT: Also, you might want to check out Lighthouse for the Blind.

Last edited by Artyczar : 08-10-2019 at 10:12 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the leads! I will pass this on.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Lord of the Arts

I have thought about what I would do if I lost my vision, several times over the year. My plan is to take up sculpture if I am still able to use my hands.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2019, 03:24 AM

hi john bramblitt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gllT4dcdjVU he is blind he was a competant and highly skilled painter but lost his sight eventualy from meningitis he still paints gloriously .i think it would be a good start to see this because it may act to inspire and become more positive about the eyesight I know myself and am sure others have found how terrible it can be as an artist to deala with failing sight simply from getting older and haveing to have glasses where once you had 20/20 vision but that is only the tip of the iceburg I am sure compared to what your friend must be feeling. I personaly found this man to be incredibly inspiring and took me from the perspective of feeling very low and giveing up to feeling like i wanted to continue and also feel excited about the fresh perspective given on art from this man. By this I mean it can be a door opening instead of closing to look at art in a different way..art is not just paintings on a wall for example take moma recently there latest was (forgive me i do not remember her name) a woman who just sat there whilst the general public sat oposite her (there was obviously more to iot than that artisticaly speaking) but you get my point.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Thanks, Tidal!