Home Forums Explore Media Airbrush Some questions for fedetony

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BeLing

I’m not really into doing airbrush, but fascinated by what others do with it. I’m wondering, about your remarkable painting, Cute Snake:

1) Was it primarily airbrush, or did you also use pencils, brush paint, etc.?
        2) Did you use a lot of stencils?
        3) Blockout frisket? Freehand?
        4) And that highlight on the eye: was it blocked out or painted over with white?

I feel so fortunate to be able to ask a virtuoso!

One last question: You mention “doing over”: how do you deal with mistakes? Rub out, paint over? (This may be my most important question.)

Thanks for sharing!

fedetony

1) Was it primarily airbrush, or did you also use pencils, brush paint, etc.?

99.9% airbrush 0.1% brush (The signature only)

2) Did you use a lot of stencils?

I do not use stencils, I mask the shapes on the surface directly with masking tape if I want a strong edge.
            It goes like this: on completely dry surface I place the tape over it and since its semitransparent I trace with a pen (not ball pens, they stain) over the tape following the borders. Then I remove the tape and cut it on a glass using the xacto knife, then take the piece and place it on my painting. That Way I form the positive and the negative for the masking.
            If I want soft edges I use tracing paper and cut the paper and/ or cardboard with the shape on it. I do not use plastic stencils because the paint leaks in between. Sometimes too when you use tape, so better to seal the borders with some medium or ause the first layer with thick paint.

3) Blockout frisket? Freehand?

Mostly freehand… but just depends how strong you want the border transition

4) And that highlight on the eye: was it blocked out or painted over with white?

Blocked then masked with the highlight shape and used opaque titanium white. Notice these masking is made with the tape due to the strong edges. White is tricky, So I remove the mask Immediately after applying the paint. White normally crawls under the mask (more than other paints I mean).

I feel so fortunate to be able to ask a virtuoso!

:D Happy for the compliment, but not really, Just learned by doing and making mistakes… a lot of them..

One last question: You mention “doing over”: how do you deal with mistakes? Rub out, paint over? (This may be my most important question.)

Sometimes is better to leave it to dry and then repair. Just take it calm, we all make mistakes, normally when I rush to fix it I make it even worse.
            So by general rule is leave it, and fix it when dried… takes patience :)

Federico Garcia
            My Blog
            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

BeLing

Thanks so much!

I see that there is a lot of manual dexterity involved, almost sculptural in a way. Interesting mix of interaction with your media, and yet, I think you have to have more planning than in painting (in my opinion, the way I work.)

Great work, and thanks again!

fedetony

:)… Check this thread I made.. it shows how I use the masking and many airbrush techniques…

Federico Garcia
                    My Blog
                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.