Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Lee Hammond book of crayon drawing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lexycat

Im intrigued by this book by Lee Hammond – all the artwork has been done with crayola crayons, and looks really good to me. Has anyone bought this and tried crayon drawing?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/1440308101/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

"We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars....." Oscar Wilde

I took a look at the reference and some of the works – not sure if I really like them Lexy. They look sort of gritty and rather ‘artificial’. I think you do such fabulous work, stick to your style. I love it.

Chammi
        My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

clydeine
            Well I dont know much about crayons other than they are wax based like the prismas but I think maintaining a point would be hard. I also looked at the book and I agree with Cammi. Why change your work is outstanding. I think it is interesting but I would not change.
            lizzydo

About 15 years ago when my daughter was in grade school I volunteered as a parent helper. Once the teacher found out I was an artist she requested some artwork for her classroom (only too happy to help). Since what we decided to have me make were larger pieces I actually did them with Crayola Crayons. Both of us were impressed with what could actually be done with the crayons, but it was definitely a different technique to getting the rich color. Sorry – no photos since it was done so long ago and I wasn’t thinking too much about it, but I ran into this teacher a year or so ago and she told me that she still uses the art – and still tells the kids this is work done with crayons. At the time I thought I would try to really explore this medium, but the pencils were in my blood at that time and I couldn’t put them down :lol:

I love using Crayola Crayons. I’ve only completed one finished drawing with them, but it turned out pretty well. They are really good to use for big drawings since they are difficult to sharpen to a fine point.

douglass

I stood and paged through her book in the shop, and was absolutely amazed at what she had achieved with crayons. But as has been pointed out, probably very different techniques! I am still tempted to go and buy the book, though, because she did amazing works!

Lynette

Jayde

I’m not sure but I think it would be similar to using oil pastels. What is the quality of Crayola crayons regarding lightfastness and are they archival?

Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky.
                        We fell them down and turn them into paper, that we may record our emptiness. ~ Kahlil Gibran
                        KarenESP
                            IndigoRed

When I first moved to East Coast I was broke and jonesin’ really bad for something to draw/paint with. Couldnt afford anything tho but crayons soooooo…… this is what i accomplished with them……..

P.s. this is before i saw Hammonds book about crayons. BUT, when i did see it I wanted it. Found it at a book store and leafed through it. There was all of maybe 3 things that was useful. The rest of it is a learning curve you have to deal with on your own depending on style/technique.

Some of the detail on the frog was done with crayola colored pencil..sorry for the graininess…(the frog was finished and my sister in law got it before i could take new pic.)

ourcassidy!

If you haven’t seen Don Marcos work you will be blown away! He uses Crayola Crayons…and he is known as the Master Crayon Artist.

http://Www.mastercaryonartist.com.

Some of his work sells for big $$$. I didn’t take time to browse his offered sales but one original that I saw was selling for $3000!!!!

He has prints offered as well.

I have the book, but must confess that I haven’t done much with my art for quite a long time.

Pam

Wow, now that is a different calibre altogether from Lee Hammond. Don Marco is a magician with those crayons. Absolutely mindboggling work.

Chammi
                                    My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                  • The topic ‘Lee Hammond book of crayon drawing’ is closed to new replies.