Home Forums The Town Center Café Guerbois Artists’ Quotes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    stlukesguild

I thought I’d start a thread on artists’ quotes where we might post the interesting, thought-provoking, and inspirational quotes by artists that we have stumbled upon… and perhaps our thoughts on the same.

“The arts are neglected because they are based on perception, and perception is disdained because it is not assumed to involve thought.”
        -Rudolf Arnheim

“Every new painting is like throwing myself into the water without knowing how to swim.
        -Edouard Manet

“When one is painting one does not think.” -Raphael

“Every true artist has been inspired more by the beauty of lines and color and the relationships between them than by the concrete subject of the picture.”
        -Piet Mondrian

“An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision.”
        -James Whistler

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
        "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
        "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

Dcam

Painting a picture is like trying to fight a battle. (Winston Churchill).

on trying to paint a pale blue sky…
            I cannot pretend to be impartial about the colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones, and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. (Winston Churchill).

At one side of the palette there is white, at the other black; and neither is ever used neat. (Winston Churchill)

We must not be too ambitious. We cannot aspire to masterpieces. We may content ourselves with a joy ride in a paint box. And, for this, Audacity is the only ticket. (Winston Churchill)

Yep: I’m a huge Churchill fan.

Jon

I believe one of the quotes often attributed to Churchill was never said by him. When asked about cutting funding for the arts he did not reply,
                “Then what are we fighting for?”

Jon

Thomas Merton, “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time”.

john

Painting a picture is like trying to fight a battle. (Winston Churchill).

on trying to paint a pale blue sky…
                        I cannot pretend to be impartial about the colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones, and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. (Winston Churchill).

At one side of the palette there is white, at the other black; and neither is ever used neat. (Winston Churchill)

We must not be too ambitious. We cannot aspire to masterpieces. We may content ourselves with a joy ride in a paint box. And, for this, Audacity is the only ticket. (Winston Churchill)

Yep: I’m a huge Churchill fan.

Sorry getting off topic a bit but..

At the Dallas Museum of Art where I recently visited they had a display of Churchill’s painting stuff and some of his paintings.

Dcam

This one always make me smile. It was apparently said by Manet to Monet… about Renoir.
                            “He has no talent at all, that boy! You, who are his friend, tell him, please, to give up painting.”

AllisonR

Some people see things others cannot, and they are right, and we call them creative geniuses. Some people see things others cannot, and they are wrong, and we call them mentally ill.
                                — Nancy Andreasen (Secrets of the Creative Brain)

The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried – Stephen McCranie (who?)

The first line you put in a picture, is actually the fifth line. – Keene Wilson

seems the only thing we learn from the past is how to make a pattern out of it. – “la” – right here on WC :)

If you cannot draw with a pencil, you cannot draw with a brush either.
                                –Snowball – also right here on WC :)

You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well try for what you love. – ? I heard this on the radio

Visitor: “That woman’s arm is too long.”
                                Matisse: “That is not a woman, sir, it’s a painting.”

Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.
                                -Pablo Picasso

I remember my own childhood vividly… I knew terrible things. But I knew I mustn’t let adults know I knew. It would scare them.
                                —Maurice Sendak

A young mistress is better than an old master.
                                -H.G. Wells

The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize – Robert Hughes

Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea.”- John Ciardi

Modernism is art about art. It endlessly asks the question, ad nauseam, What is art? What is art? Only those things that expand the boundaries of art are good; all else is bad [in Modernism]. It is art about art. Whereas all the great art in history, my friends, is art about life. – Fred Ross (ARC)

Photo realism exemplifies the inability to be able to distinguish the essential from the accidental. – ?

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
                                Calvin Coolidge

We may learn in the group but one develops in isolation. –Henry Hensche

If you want to paint, learn how to draw. – myself

What the rest of the world thinks about your paintings: Nothing. The rest of the world does not care and is not interested in what you make. Only you are interested in what you make. So make what you TRULY WANT. – myself

Two of my favorite non art quotes:

No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
                                — Neil deGrasse Tyson

Perhaps we’ve never been visited by aliens because they have looked upon Earth and decided there’s no sign of intelligent life. – Neil deGrasse Tyson

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                thevaliantx

Thomas Merton, “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time”.

Probably the truest of them all, Jon.

ronart

” with each painting we die a little” not sure if this is true but in the movie ,(lust for life) Van goth’s cousin mauve made that quote , and i feel that way many times

Ronnie

brianvds

” with each painting we die a little” not sure if this is true but in the movie ,(lust for life) [B]Van goth’s [/B]cousin mauve made that quote , and i feel that way many times

Now there’s a typo I just couldn’t let go… :D

PaintBoss

:lol: :rolleyes: Brian

~Christine
                                                🇨🇦

ronart

Now there’s a typo I just couldn’t let go… :D

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/20-Jan-2017/142294-van_goth_frame.jpg[/IMG]

you got me :)

Sheryl

I know these are not all art quotes, but I really like these anyway

Dull women have immaculate homes.” Painters are not dull. :)

“If trees screamed loudly every time they were cut down, we wouldn’t cut them down very often…unless they screamed loudly all the time for no reason, that is.”

“A friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body.”

sherylgallant.ca
                                                        - "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:14

Sheryl

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.”

I know…not an artist quote either.

Actual Art Quotes that I like (from “Brainy Quote”):

“The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.” – Pablo Picasso

“Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.” -Twyla Tharp

“Art is Art. Everything else is everything else.”- Ad Reinhardt

“The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.” -Michelangelo

sherylgallant.ca
                                                            - "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:14

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Artists’ Quotes’ is closed to new replies.