Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Art storage rack for painters- easy to build

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]This is an idea I had to store wet and dry canvases in my small studio. I had canvases all over the house above every door, wherever there was a piece of trim. I started with a wire shelf rack you can buy at most large “blue or orange brand” hardware stores, and assemble at home. They are very strong and will hold a lot of weight. I added some casters which go with it. From there proceed as follows:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Add shelves made of pegboard, cut to fit the wire shelves. I used a circular saw and jigsaw. I made sure all the pegholes in each shelf would line up in the end by cutting them all at once with a few dowels keeping them aligned.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Here I cut the corners of the pegboard with a jigsaw to fit around the poles.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Then I lay the shelf on its side and began running dowels through from top to bottom.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Here’s a shot of the pegboard shelf, its about 16 inches by 36 inches [/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]The pegboard I used works with 1/4 inch dowels. The dowels are held by friction in the pegholes, there’s no glue. I cut some of the dowels with a simple hand-held mitre saw.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Here’s the finished product loaded up with canvas panels. I put more dowels at the top for my little canvases.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Here’s a scale figure, yours truly…. I am an architect by day, and paint on weekends mostly.[/FONT]
    Comments are welcome.
    Diane Cutter

What a fabulous idea! I will definitely do that in my studio! Thanks so much…

Diane

janeymac

What do they say…necessity is the mother of invention! What a brilliant idea! No wonder you look so chuffed with yourself :D
            Thanks for sharing! :clap: :clap: :clap:
            Jane

'Please be patient....God isn't finished with me yet!'

www.janemeyler.com

What an excellent use of cheap materials to produce an inexpensive, functional piece! Thanks for posting it.

I’m sure I’ll be pointing people to this thread many times in the future.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

CarpeBrayer

Brilliant!

Pilan

Very clever idea.

I use a wooden plate rack for my small paintings. Its the kind you get in the specialty stores like board and barrel or those places where they sell imported kitchen ware. Those names escape me.

I like your idea very much and it will solve the scattering of paintings laying around in the studio drying.:clap: :thumbsup:

Printmakerguy

Looks like a simple, elegant, and inexpensive solution!

[FONT="Arial"]

I always welcome critiques and criticisms of my work! That's the only way to improve!
                        My My Web Page - My Miniature Work-http://www.lessthansix.com[/center]
                        -Member of the Association Of Miniature Artists-

* AMA * MASF * HS * ARMS *

Bright Eyes

Just bought supplies for this:clap: I’m still so extremely glad you posted this! I’ll post a pic when I finish mine. I’m making a couple minor adjustments to accomidate my small space. And keep my kids from getting stuff on the lower shelves (18 month old twins, they eat, chew and destroy anything they come into contact with).

Awesome idea. Thanks for sharing. You have inspired me to build my own storage rack.

Merlion

It is quite a neat idea.

My oil paintings are bigger, up to 36 in height, and my drying/storing rack uses nylon fishing lines to separate the stretched canvases. I use wooden shelf frames from Ikea, and modified them to make the rack.

celtic1

:clap: Super idea, thanks!

"Art washes away from the soul, the dust of everyday life". Pablo Picasso

Stardreamer

Bloody hell that’s brillant! Way to think outside the box! I love it! :clap:

[FONT=Century Gothic]Just my 2 cents, peace & prosperity be with you.
                                        [FONT=Century Gothic]Michael Kaiser
                                        [FONT=Century Gothic]

Sweet and simple … great !

Thanks!

:D

~M

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

[FONT=Georgia]Click Here [FONT=Georgia]for pics in The WetCanvas! Galleria

eileena

Awesome!!!

Why I didn’t think of that? :wink2:

Never settle for anything less than your best. Brian Tracy

paintfool

Excellent idea! I’m in the middle of putting mine together right now. Sending my husband to get a couple more dowels. It’s so easy!

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.