WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2019, 12:27 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, July 2019: optional "daily painting" theme!

July daily painting #15: This statuette is even smaller than the statue I painted a couple days ago, so it was even harder to paint. But I couldnít resist the colors and pose. The composition is a work in progress, but Iíve had fun with it so far. I'm probably going to work on other things for a bit, though. "In progress: statuette," oil on linen, 5" x 7."

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2019, 01:13 PM

Geoff, those are roses. I would not try to paint carnations - too complex for me now. But I got few in the garden too!

I know about brushes. I got a small bottle of walnut oil in the same package. I think I will try to suspend brushes in oil like other do. Don't have much space in the freezer, but I did put some paint leftovers yesterday, to see how does it work. The new brushes needed more soap washing than once anyways - I haven't got all gummiarabicum from one of them.

Georgians are student or study paint. They claim no solvents even in white. But ultramarine smells suspiciously like solvent. Hopefully only coincidence. I bought them only to try because they are cheaper, and I had some Georgian WMO. They are indeed quite soft, even white. And it's real fun to mix from three colors only.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2019, 03:50 PM

What I forgot to say... This thread, as always, is an amazing opportunity to see that finding a subject is so easy - just look around the house.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2019, 12:20 AM
Enthusiast

Ilya, I couldn't agree more, household objects are a neverending source of interesting subjects. I've got dozens of things lying around that I want to paint, heh. As it happens, I put three of them in my shadowbox today; more on that momentarily!

I'm curious: do you folks paint sitting or standing? For me, the advantage of standing is that it's so easy to step back, which is important for judging proportions and the overall look of the piece. The disadvantage is that I get tired faster, especially my back and feet. For plein air, I usually stand; in life class, I stand if I'm not in anyone's way, but sometimes I sit for a better view of the model. The question mostly arises when I do still lifes. My shadowbox is easier to see if I sit, as I don't have an easy way to put it at eye level. (I suppose I should get one of those hospital beds?) But standing is nice, and in some ways more fun and healthier. What do you all do?

July daily painting #16: I set up this composition so that the objects are almost at eye level. It gives them a somewhat dramatic cast, I think. Iíve got work to do, obviously, but itís a pretty good start. "In progress: Garlic & pottery," oil on linen, 5" x 7."

#50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2019, 02:17 PM

Standing is actually healthier and gives more freedom. I started with the most simple setup, sitting. I am tall and I cannot find a matching high easel anyways. What I did in the end in a small room is to put a coffee table onto a dining table, and a table easel onto that contraption. Plus a bag with unused cement to stabilize. I can work this way from a photo. But for "live" still lives, I have to sit because I have to do them in the living room, to have space to put the subjects. You can probably use a similar setup with two tables, to put the subject.

Or, one can paint still lives with "from above" perspective. Petrov-Vodkin painted that way masterly.

https://www.wikiart.org/en/kuzma-pet...h-samovar-1920
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2019, 02:25 AM
Enthusiast

I did one still live from "above" last month -- an English muffin with jam on it. Still kicking myself because I painted the muffin too dark. I plan to do another from that vantage point soon; maybe this week.

July daily painting #17: Meanwhile, I continued work on my garlic and pottery. I made progress but Iím not sure Iím finished yet. Everything could use a bit more polish. Then again, polish sometimes sucks the life out of paintings. Will think on it! "Garlic & Pottery," in progress, oil on linen, 5" x 7." Photoshopped out some glare.

Last edited by Grotius : 07-17-2019 at 02:29 AM.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2019, 01:01 AM
Enthusiast

Daily painting #18: I had very little time to paint today, as I had other obligations, so this was a pretty rushed start. Next month Iíll be getting busier, so once I get to daily painting #100, Iíll probably declare victory and work on longer-term painting projects. I'm open to suggestions on a new theme for next month, although if people want daily painting again, I'll certainly be happy to repeat it.

Anyway, I started painting a tiny little 4-inch statue of Caesar. Here was my lay-in, with just transparent red oxide, using a small round brush, in about 20 minutes.

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2019, 01:15 PM

Geoff, the still life is really great. What is that shadow box? Something like photographers use for smaller object shots for advertizing (but to get them evenly lit)?
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 12:44 AM
Enthusiast

Ilya, thanks for your comments. For the shadowbox, I use the "Still Life Stage." It's made of PVC pipes and hardboard. It would be cheaper to build one yourself if you could fine the materials, but I'm lazy and not good at building things. Linkage here: https://www.connienobbe.com/store-1#...ellow-artists/

My main issue with my "stage" is that it's a bit large, and also I've had trouble making it high enough. The manufacturer suggests buying an adjustable hospital overbed table, but those things are heavy, and I worry about giving myself a hernia. (I've already had two.) For that still life, I put the objects on a plank, and the plank on a foot-high box inside the stage. That worked okay as long as I remained sitting. As we discussed, though, it's nicer to stand.

July daily painting #19 -- and my 80th in a row: Painting these sculptures is great practice. I often find it harder to get a likeness with a sculpture than a human figure. I think part of it is the tiny size of this sculpture; the tiniest error is magnified. But part of it is that living, breathing models seem easier to draw, even though they move. I wonder why that is.

Anyway, this one is coming along. I may continue tomorrow, or (more likely) I will start another still life. One thingís for sure: I wonít be going outside to paint in the 98 degree heat. "Caesar, in progress," oil on linen, 5" x 7."

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 02:20 PM

Geoff, thank you! That's what I was thinking about. But I figured out that after removing all junk from the shelf next to my painting table, I can put small still life setups there, plus a table lamp. All at breast to eyes level. Will try something over weekend.

Say hi to Caesar - it's getting really lively!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 01:35 AM
Enthusiast

I will say hi to Caesar, but he's going to have to wait a week, as I'm leaving for vacation. With all the packing and stuff, I didn't have time to do much today. I did do a couple compositional oil sketches of a possible new still life. Here are the objects. I couldnít include any live objects, like fruit, as weíre about to leave on vacation for a week. Yes, the glasses need a wash!

Here is one sketch of a possible still life, in a vertical format. Not sure about it. It barely counts as a daily painting, as I spent about two minutes on it, but hey, I'm counting it anyway. Oil on linen, 5" x 7."

I also tried a horizontal composition, focused more on the pitcher. Didn't like it as much. Oil on linen, 5" x 7."

I have a week to think about it, as Iím not bringing these objects with me on vacation.

I will, however, be bringing my paints. Tomorrow will be a busy day, so at most Iíll post a quick sketch, but starting on Sunday I hope to be painting scenes from the Atlantic coast. Although with the weather forecast of 100 degree temperatures, I may settle for an air-conditioned interior.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 04:32 AM

A square composition, like on the photo, may be good too. What if you do square,after moving the pitcher a bit to the right?
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 11:20 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

nice flowers Ik345, Geoff, you are the king of all daily painters here!
very nice works since I posted last time, I 'specially like the garlic pottery painting.
I have been doing other larger easel painting, I have not made it back out to the site where I began a plein air because of this really dumb weather. It is too hot for me. However, this morn, in the cool of the early hours, I sat on the front porch and with Guerilla sitting on my lap, I did this 6x8 inch painting of the car across the street:

I used white, cad yellow lt, aliz crimson perm (winton), ultramarine blue, and burnt sienna. I was happy with the painterly style that I got with this one.
Now it is like an oven out there so I will turn my efforts towards still life subjects done from the comfort of my crib with airconditioning!

Ik345, I really like Georgian oils and think they are just fine and dandy.
I have one tube of Venetian Red that is the best version I have ever seen, it is such a bright red for an earth color.
Geoff, I am also getting ready to set up a still life box so thanks for that info too.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 07-20-2019 at 11:45 AM.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 01:14 AM
Enthusiast

Ilya, I hadn't thought of a square composition for that still life. Good idea! I'll play with it more when I get back home.

Sid, I like your car very much, and I'm impressed that you painted it with a limited palette. I am glad I'm not the only one around here who occasionally likes to paint a car! To me, they're like portraits -- drawing is important, and each car has its own personality. You captured that one's persona nicely.

July daily painting #21: Sid, I hear ya on the heat wave! I'm in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, on vacation, and it was about 100 degrees today. Too hot to do anything. To complicate my painting plans, I am reluctant to paint inside our rented house, in the comfy air conditioning, because I don't want to get paint on anything.

So I waited until it was a mere 88 degrees, at 10:30 pm, and then painted this little nocturne. Staring into all this dark space made me think about the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, which was nice. The painting is not as dark as this photo suggests, but I hope you get the idea. "Nocturnal window," oil on linen, 5" x 7."

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 01:28 PM

Geoff, painting so late, even because of the heat - that's tough! And that is part of the view from my window, yesterday. We had lightnings going off one after another. I tried to make some photos, but could catch only one. All other photos were just like you painted!

Sid, you are reading my thoughts! I went through many threads on WetCanvas about Georgians, and you were consistently replying in all of them. I actually wanted to send you a message, but you are here! So, let me ask my question: how is that titanium white? Someone wrote it yellowed greatly. I want to buy some other brand of white, which was mentioned positively in tests of yellowing. Thinking about Lukas 1862. Someone else wrote that it is "soupy", which is probably close to Georgians. Any chance you used it? I really want to match the consistency of Georgians without the need to thin it.

As for the paint, I am in heaven really! One of my problems was adding too much oil trying to get my WMOs to flow better. They were all different, I had Lukas and Georgians WMO. And with that oil, I could never get consistent character, so many patches are too oily and sticky. With conventional Georgians I don't need all that, and all colors have same character and handling.

My next still life. Geoff, look at the setup. Maybe you can buy a cheap and light coffee table (mine is Ikea Lack - feather light, made of cardboard) to put your shadowbox on it.

(after finishing, I rewarded myself with the fruit from that saucer )

Last edited by ik345 : 07-21-2019 at 01:31 PM.