WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations
Re: Artist Gouache as an economical option for artist Watercolor

I like granulation when I manage to use it deliberately, and dislike it when it creeps up on me unbidden (pretty much like any other effect). For example, today I was trying to paint some stereotypical mountain vistas (sunset, three triangular mountains, lake in front of them, trees disappearing from near to far up the mountainsides, you have SEEN IT BEFORE I'M SURE) and found that a few of my cobalt blues and violets did a wonderful job of leaving behind some granulation trickling down the distant mountain sides. But they also somehow managed to direct my muddy-purple-mix which I was using for more distant treetops to turn into granulated-muddy-purple-mix so I ended up with overly granulated sections where I was trying to depict finer details. The former worked. The latter didn't.

Also, the Gurney blog post (various manufacturers' replies about gouache formulations) was enjoyable and informative, thanks for the link!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Lord of the Arts

Ah, granulating cobalts. I love the mix of cobalt violet and yellow ochre for a granulating sort of rock colour. But I can definitely agree that the granulation where you don't want it is annoying indeed.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2019, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations

I like the cobalt violet plus yellow ochre for that, too. I was experimenting with cobalt violets versus NON-granulating very smooth-flowing yellows. I recommend you look at Quinophthalone Yellow or one of the Benzimidazolone Yellows butt-up next to the granulating purples, violets, and blues which cobalts provide. (And don't forget, cerulean blue is also a cobalt-based pigment!)