Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Framing Discussions Source for 6×8 frames?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sarah

Looking for recent experiences with inexpensive 6×8 frames. I know Jerry’s has them for around $16 (plein air style) but read that (as of a few years ago) people did not like the gold or mahogany finishes. Anyone buy them recently? I am looking for gold and black frames, plein air style. My other issue with Jerry’s is items frequently arrive damaged. Are there other options? I am aware of more expensive options like King of Frame, but I both don’t want to spend $40 a frame and also don’t think my work is at that level yet.

sarahrosefineart.com

Use Her Name

It is the cost of doing business. I spend 200-1000 (or more) dollars per item to have it made, so buying a 40$ frame makes me pine for the old days. Yes the good old days when I was a kid. I guess ask yourself what the frame will do for you. Will it get you into a better gallery? Will it sell your painting faster? Will it make you stand out?

I think that a lot of (beginning?) artists do not realize that you will be paid back by the buyer for things like frames and supplies, so it is more like a loan than an expensive gift. A cheap way to circumvent the problem is to learn how to frame (or have a local carpenter do it) or buy your frames in bulk (always using the same canvas size).

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Lauresa

Hi Sarah,

I use JFM and Omega for open-back ready-made frames. They both sell wholesale only and require you to provide proof of retail sales. You have to order JFM well in advance of your shows, etc. as they are often back ordered in the most popular styles. Omega has a 40 percent off sale about once a year and I stock up then on what I expect to use for the year. I paint a lot of 5x7s, 6×8, and 6×6 in addition to larger sizes. Offering those at festivals and fairs allows people to bring your work home and can serve as a business card of sorts, to remind them they would like a larger piece. You can get nice frames for $20-30 from those two companies.

Best of luck,

Laura

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.