Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics New member sharing acrylic beach for C & C

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    eoghan

This is a small acrylic painting of Rosses Point where I swim. It is 16 x 12 ” on canvas. I have been a very occasional painter for about 25 years but I now hope to improve and to take it more seriously. I dabbled in watercolours and oils in the past but I am now committed to acrylics. In many ways other mediums are easier to manage but I think, and hope, that acrylic can be used to achieve any effect if I practice and develop my technique.
        My thoughts were – use the hut as a focus; reserve detail for the mid distance and blur foreground and horizon; use washes to capture the wet shallow beach; aim for a mood of cool peaceful coastal scene. I joined Wet canvas to improve and greatly appreciate your comments.

gaykir

Quite lovely. A great sense of distance and the figures read well. Oh! And welcome! It’s nice that you’ve joined us and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

http://gaylekirbyart.blogspot.com/

Adrian.B

Hello,

Very well done ! If I had a critique, do you think that the foreground adds anything to the storytelling ? If it was me, I would have cut this part, except maybe if the message that you convey is that concrete can be found everywhere nowadays, even in the “wildest” places… Kinda depressing message, but heh it’s true.

My paintings: https://www.facebook.com/AdBpaintings
                - C&C always welcome -

eoghan

I wasn’t sure about the carpark and wall. But when it was painted it seemed to really help in creating the distance and leading the eye out and down along the beach. Normally I would not include it. I was going to put a gull on the wall as they often rest there, but this would only highlight the foreground and I don’t want this. Thanks for your feedback.

eoghan

Thanks Gayle. Well it helps that it is a beautiful area, like Oregon!

donnadelene

What type of final coat do you put on acrylic paintings?

CarlyHardy

Beautiful landscape! You achieved the visual distance quite well. I agree about the parking area…to me it cuts off the view. Just one picky thing…check the verticals on the cottage on the ridge. It seems to lean slightly. Would not be as noticeable except for the bright colors.

I’ve visited the coast of Oregon but wouldn’t be swimming there…even in August the water was very cold!

Nicely done.

If the gull were looking into the scene it would guide viewers over the parking barrier.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

eoghan

True. maybe in this case I worry about ruining it. although it is just a very small piece. From all the feedback, if I will make a larger version I will change the foreground to a more picturesque bench in the dunes which is also in the area. I think everyone agrees that concrete and bitumen take away from the scenery. I will share another painting tomorrow where I used dunes to create distance…. no wall! Thanks all!

eoghan

I have no coat on this yet but I will use a matt acrylic cover / varnish.. personally I don’t like too much shine reflecting off the surface. I usually frame small pieces like this with glass cover. great for protection but I think paintings look better without glass. What do you think?

No glass.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

tmwilliams

Looks great! Keep them coming.

Welcome to the Forum!

Lovely painting. If I am not mistaken this is in County Sligo, and Sligo (besides being the home of my favourite poet, Yeats), is next to County Donegal where my parents were both born, so this feels like a comfortable place to me. I agree with the comment about the car parking area. It ends up being superfluous to what we “see” and thus a distraction in the composition.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

eoghan

Thanks Colin. Correct it is Co Sligo and just South of County Donegal. In fact the distant mountains are in Donegal. Probably Slieve League, – a wild and wonderful place!

francjs

I rather like the pavement in front, it draws the eye in a makes the scene a little different. Only thing, however, it seems to me that the colors of the cottage are a little too bright for the distance it’s at, though not by much. But overall, I really like the painting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.