Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

I was just looking for the talk about PVA size as used on raw linen-my search found nothing. where dat be? And any more news? Can we paint on it? will it bleed? will the oil bleed out from the color areas and leave little oily halos?

Anonymous

somewhere some of the 5really informed fellers were fussing about primimg and sizing with PVA. I remember it was a good talk. I just didn’t find it in the above discussions just listed. maybe it was a little side discussion that was borne from another topic-any hints or remarks about this subject?

I really like the look of raw linen amnd would like to think I can use the PVA and go if I start out lean. Is not the only trouble-starting out tooo fat and getting fatter?
        And if I working alla prima would I not be fine?

Anonymous

[i]Originally posted by cobalt fingers [/i]
            [B]somewhere some of the 5really informed fellers were fussing about primimg and sizing with PVA. I remember it was a good talk. I just didn’t find it in the above discussions just listed. maybe it was a little side discussion that was borne from another topic-any hints or remarks about this subject?
            [/quote][/b]

I originally searched for “PVA* size”. Here is a broader search, of just “PVA*”:

[url]https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=78551&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending[/url]

[quote][b]I really like the look of raw linen amnd would like to think I can use the PVA and go if I start out lean. Is not the only trouble-starting out tooo fat and getting fatter?
            And if I working alla prima would I not be fine? [/B]

My instinct tells me that you are correct, but I must admit, I’m not overly familiar with the effects of sizing materials on surfaces.

Cheers.
            Scott

puzzlinon

Yes, PVA will seal the canvas and protect it from the oil. Just don’t be stingy when you put it on; work fast (it gets tacky quickly) and use lots so you don’t leave holidays. If you’re paranoid, you could experiment with using an isolation varnish on top of the PVA, but that’s probably overkill.

If it’s the look of the linen you’re after, more than the texture, you could put a couple of coats of PVA down, sanding after the first one (PVA is very sandable.) That would also free you up to paint however you wanted from the start.

Tim, you can paint in oils (fat or lean) directly onto linen that has been properly sized with either RSG or an artist quality PVA. If you are going to do serious work on such a surface it may be wise to create some test swatches of examples of how you would paint on this, run them through some tests and observe them over time.

It’s great to get feedback from other artists when it comes to trying something new, the welcomed advice can help us get to our answers quicker – in the end it comes down to the many variables we uniquely bring to our own materials and methods that will lead us in the right direction or not.

best of luck :D

Thank you all,

One of my students just had preped linen work-she just reversed a failed painting and began the work for the class. I got to paint on the surface as part of a demo and loved the tooth and the casual look. I bought some Gamlin PVA size that day.

I feel good about the new ideas-thanks to you.

Tim

I prime my oil palette with a non porous vinyl like PVA. I do this so I can peel off the dried oil paint. A ground should be porous.

I’d suggest doing the first coat of sizing with a diluted mix of PVA, say 50/50 PVA/Water. Then follow with at least 2 coats of full-strength PVA (first brushed 1 way, then the other) to ensure full coverage. If no wet spots appear on the back of the canvas on that second coat, its probably covered enough.

My experience with PVA is for sizing paper to paint on. However, this is the way I used to prepare canvas for acrylic painting to keep the acrylic gesso from coming thru the canvas.

Jeff G.

Dedicated to wasting bandwidth since 1999. http://www.jeffgola.com

[i]Originally posted by donjusko [/i]
                [B]I prime my oil palette with a non porous vinyl like PVA. I do this so I can peel off the dried oil paint. A ground should be porous. [/B]

Tim, as in this quote from donjusko and from what JeffG has stated – if you apply a coating that is meant to size a surface in a manner that seals it or diminishes the properties of a surface to the point oil paint does not adhere well to it… well you know what I’m saying here….

Drop an email off to Robet Gamblin they will tell you exactly what their testing shows and will offer you the best rate of application to provide the right amount of protection to the linen and at the same time provide the best painting surface for your oils.

Good idea,

I was ready to jump in-buy want to be sure. Where’s ole Luis anyway?

I have found acrylic gesso to be pretty slick but lots of people use it and clear acrylic as a size just before painting oils onto it. I’ll see what Mr. Bob has to say about his product. Thanks guys all. Tim

Hi,
                Let me say some more.
                PVA could replace the rabbit skin glue, that would work.
                But who would paint on the size?
                Over the glue you need a white absorbent ground. Colored grounds are all right if you want but they shouldn’t be left as final paint.

Here is a fairly unknown point. You can use acrylic gesso on your oil palette also. The oil paint will peel off. I’ve done it. What this says is that it is the texture of the cloth only that holds the oil paint. What that means is don’t use non absorbent crylic gesso for oil paint.

(Hi Don)

I don’t know if it’s fair to say acrylic gesso and PVA act the same. Some v”very learned people hav blessed this PVA-I’ll keep you updated. I simply don’t understand why an oil painting primer would stick to the size and NOT oil painting.

Is this overly simple?

decoration attached:

Anonymous

Hi gang. Was speaking with Martha Gamblin today, and here is some info that might be helpful:

PVA (Jade) from Linco is very good quality for painters
                    who want to dilute full strength PVA to make their own size. Gamblin PVA is already diluted for use as a size. Scrub into canvas or linen with stiff bristle. Take about 24 hours to dry. If painting directly on PVA, apply diluted PVA to both sides. ONE COAT only both sides. PVA does not tighten the fabric like Rabbit Skin Glue so stretch as if applying acrylic ground. the definitive study on PVA in the oil painting process is from the Canadian Conservation Institute in Ottawa.

Cheers.
                    Scott

I got the same word from uncle BOB—go forth and enjoy.

Rob from Cennini forum also blessed the use of it-just not too thick.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                  • The topic ‘PVA size’ is closed to new replies.