Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals collage sketchbook

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Helen

I bought a few sketchbooks, mostly hand book and Strathmore visual journals, to be ready for 2019. I also bought one that was new to me and when it arrived I found the paper was grey. I set it aside thinking I would send it back but in the mess of Christmas wrapping and piles of clutter, I lost the shipping papers. Since I’m beginning to play with collage I decided this journal would work just fine for that. I’m also playing with tack down collage which I find to be less messy. Papers and substrate are prepared ahead with polymer varnish, then an iron glues everything in place. Family Christmas celebrations happened on the weekend so yesterday was quiet here and there were some scraps of prepared paper on my work table… This is the first collage in the new Collage Journal. I’m feeling so so about it but this is a place to practice after all, not working for a masterpiece here.

"I get up, I walk, I fall down, meanwhile I keep on dancing." Hillel

Helen

Another one done… I can see things I should have done but I’m moving on the next one….

Joan T

I haven’t done any collage in a long, long time. What is tack down collage and how is it different from other types of collage? These are nice.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

eyepaint

Oh these are great. Agree with Joan’s questions about collage … I know nothing …

-- EP Moderator for:
                    All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Helen

In tack down collage papers and the substrate are coated with polymer so you are able to take them down with a tack iron or a regular iron using a release sheet between the iron and the papers. Here is one I did today.

Joan T

Love it! Is the polymer on the bottom of the collage paper too so that it sticks to the base?

Helen

Love it! Is the polymer on the bottom of the collage paper too so that it sticks to the base?

Yes, the heat of the iron melts the polymer on the substrate and the paper fusing them together. Both have to be completely dry or you have a real mess but when they are dry and you iron, no bubbles and no messy fingers.

Here is yesterday, and I did two this morning before closing up the studio to get the house ready for a New Year’s Eve party this evening. You can see the sketchbook paper in the last one, a dull grey and it feels like a cheap construction paper. Not a bad sketch book but not what I had been looking for.

eyepaint

More great work :)

-- EP Moderator for:
                                    All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Sonia

Collaging like this is great fun. Nice work. For those interested, you should be able to find a video on this site showing the “tack down” process.

Helen

Spent the first week of the new year clearing some clutter and had a few appointments but now back at the collage sketchbook. In this one you can see the color of the paper….

Joan T

Such fun collages!!!

KaySilver

Lovely work. I absolutely love collage. I’ve done quite a lot in the past but it was rather tight and figurative/representational – very different from this more abstract style.

Looking over this sketchbook makes me want to get my scissors and glue out again and get busy!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.