WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2004, 11:54 AM

"And then came the bicicle..."

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "And then came the bicicle..."
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Digital
Surface: Computer
Dimension: 8 x 6
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Comment whatever you want.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like to know your general opinion... but feel free to critique details you think could be improved.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2004, 12:16 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Re: "And then came the bicicle..."

interesting compositions first of all....

There might be symbolic personal reasons for your using a tree image...but I myself find it creating too much tension, calling for too much visual weight and attention making it difficult for the eyes to linger to the far right.

It becomes a visual voice that demands more than I think it should...of course, that's speaking visually without whatever metaphoric intent you have for it.

Larry
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2004, 12:27 PM

Smile Re: "And then came the bicicle..."

Thanks, Larry. I am Cuban and I use the image of the tree as a symbol of death. The entire composition is made out of very strong cultural symbols for Cuban people: Jose Marti, who was an hero of our independence war, old images, the Virgin Caridad del Cobre, and so on. I agree with you about the excesive visual weight and tension the tree (death) produces but, at the same time, I wished to do it heavy... Maybe I didn't find the most correct proportion.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 01:03 PM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States

The color choice here, along with the lack of color is successful in my view. Without reading your explanation of the piece I felt it was somewhat gloomy and dark, and yet the dominant color is yellow. That is interesting. Perhaps it is the subject matter, how so many of them are represented in only black and white with the ultra-controlled use of color that makes me feel this dreariness.
Your title makes me wonder if the bicycle helped Cubans make good choices for their future. Thought provoking and unique.

Last edited by Yokovich : 12-27-2004 at 01:05 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 03:46 AM

Thumbs up Re: "And then came the bicicle..."

"La biciclelta" has became a kind of symbol for the so called "special period" in which Cuba is living since 1989. There is no other way of transportation for many people. I remember myself taking long trips from one extreme of Havana to the other where my Grandmother used to live. The trip took me about four hours to go and other four hours to return. I used to go on Saturday morning and return on Sunday. After three years riding a bad bike on the very bad streets of Havana, I developed a chronic uterus inflammation and suffered very severe bleedings until the doctors told me not to use the bike any more, at least for long trips. It were the early 90's. Now, the lack of transportation is worse.
Thank you for your comments on my artwork. I really appreciate your time and your opinion.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 12:25 PM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States

Are you familiar with the work of Frida Kahlo? Mexican artist who also used her injury and physical suffering to create beautiful artwork.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

I like this, many cool details to look at. I don't mind the tree.
To me, the papaya at the bottom, the sunflower and the yellow dress creates a face with the papaya as the mouth of some sesame street type monster. When that popped out, it took over completely.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 04:38 PM

Smile Re: "And then came the bicicle..."

Thanks, all of you for your wonderful insights. I had never exposed my artwork before to the eyes of expert people like you and I am very happy you liked it!
Yes, I know and admire the work of Frida Kahlo... but I think mine is much more desattached, much less personal.
Love,
Silvia