WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#4156   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2019, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

Re: palette addicts

Quote:
Expeditionary art sells the different sized "make-up" pans in empty so you can always buy some other sizes, fill them yourself and change the configuration in the case. If you buy pre-filled she uses Daniel Smith.

I went on a spending spree -a whopping $10.00- years ago and bought several different styles of makeup tins from the dollar store. I washed out all the contents, and have been using them ever since. They hold enough paint, but not so much I'll cry rivers if I lose one, they don't hot sitting in the sun, the little compartments are usually a single size, but in some cases there are combo of sizes if you want to bring more of a few pigments.

I love the antique Reeves box I bought on eBay, too. But I don't want to carry it around! I also spent $$$ on some other stuff over time, but to be perfectly honest the makeup compacts are my faves for taking with me anywhere.

Bonus points: paint the outside white with acrylics, then paint a favorite subject on the outter lid to distinguish one palette from another and make them 100% your very own.

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?
  #4157   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2019, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmund ronald
@ronsu18 why don’t you try water bottle tops? No need to visit the hardware store.

Name:  20190817_223721-1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  190.0 KB

yes it is a bottle cap on the left. that's the scale in question. very appropriate scale for my wc skills and besides, hardware stores are the only fun place here. 😊
writing that i just recalled having seen perfume in one of them, wasn't looking for make up so if there was any, it would not have registered. suddenly feeling very hopeful.

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso

Last edited by ronsu18 : 08-17-2019 at 04:37 PM.
  #4158   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2019, 08:46 PM

I don't know what's been presented in the other 277 pages of this very long thread , but I thought I might point out this ingenious little palette box made from the Altoids small tin. The information about how to make it is in the thread, and further down in the thread is the information about how she eventually painted the inside of the lid white. There is info about other gear to go with it.

LINK

Next to a quarter -

Too bad about the big Photobucket logo!

Cat
  #4159   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member

very clay-ver

Edmund
  #4160   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

😀😀😀
thank you for that link Catspeare! good ol' sculpey, didn't think of it, it's been years and would have thought it too porous for liquids. i think i tossed a perfect amount of leftover silicone just recently. curse.

it was also good to read about the problem with the lid rusting, should be easy enough to avoid with a minute slit and a piece of tape through it for easy lifting up and cleaning.

a tip about tightly closing boxes, pans and spray bottles:
https://www.muji.com
go to the travel section. they don't look much but the quality is excellent, prices are wonderful, and i can't rave enough about the spray bottles. they come in all sizes and the spray is absolutely perfect. the smallest holds like a spoonful of liquid.

Last edited by ronsu18 : 08-18-2019 at 11:06 AM.
  #4161   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catspeare
I don't know what's been presented in the other 277 pages of this very long thread , but I thought I might point out this ingenious little palette box made from the Altoids small tin. The information about how to make it is in the thread, and further down in the thread is the information about how she eventually painted the inside of the lid white. There is info about other gear to go with it.

LINK

Next to a quarter -

Too bad about the big Photobucket logo!

Cat

That stuff is VERY heavy. I made an Altoid box, but it weighed too much to carry around.
  #4162   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

there are many different varieties of polymer clay, air drying but also superlight, for jewellery etc. maybe you had the basic variety? i could be wrong but it might be the best clay for durability, for things that will get knocked over, with protruding parts, fine detail. we sculpted maquette skins at school and i seem to recall the teacher saying to get the good stuff and not bother with anything else. there should be a huge community for the stuff, lots of info online.

#4163   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2019, 12:03 AM
San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsu18
😀😀😀

a tip about tightly closing boxes, pans and spray bottles:
https://www.muji.com
go to the travel section. they don't look much but the quality is excellent, prices are wonderful, and i can't rave enough about the spray bottles. they come in all sizes and the spray is absolutely perfect. the smallest holds like a spoonful of liquid.
]]

Ah, MUJI! I went to the site once and bought some nice, small ceramic trays, large and small, I thought would be great for mixing when I travel. And a fountain pen that I find I really like.

Did anyone see this pen case? Looks like the Expeditionary Art cases only bigger. I'm going to get one for the "makeup" pans that I have.
  #4164   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

none of those are familiar and all look inspiring, especially the pen. i haven't figured out the two scratchy tips i own. plus i could really use a sushi plate or three, constantly running out of mixing space w just nine colors.