WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2015, 05:47 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States
Muddy watercolor

I am new to watercolor and used to working with acrylics.
Any tips on not taking layering so far that mud results?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2015, 07:08 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Re: Muddy watercolor

Welcome to watercolor and Wetcanvas! "Mud" is a term for which there are many definitions, but in most cases it is describing a unharmonious paint passage, which may be a "muddy" color and perhaps opaque.

If you are glazing with separate applications of paint (after the preceding layer has fully dried), as long as you are using transparent paints there really shouldn't be a problem with "mud". On the other hand, if you glaze with opaque or granulating paints the passage could begin to appear "muddy".

If you are working wet on dry, and/or wet into wet, "mud" typically occurs when there are more than three different paint colors used in the mixture.

Mixing watercolors is simple when only two paints are used, and that should be mixture goal if it's possible to achieve the desired result with only two paints. A third paint may be successfully added to the mixture if it's carefully done in small amounts until the desired result is achieved. Prudent painters strive to avoid a 4-paint mixture.

It's also prudent to mix the darkest value paint last (and in very small amounts) to a mixture since it will be so powerful in the mixture.

A word about watercolor paint mixing: mixing paints together in the palette always seems to homogenize the paints together, resulting in a less lively result than mixing the paints on the paper, either wet on dry or wet on wet.

There are so many approaches in watercolor, which is what helps to make it wild, wacky and fun! Hope this helps.

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2015, 07:59 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Hello, and Welcome.

Glazing may seem to be the most difficult technique learn, but once one "figures" it out, it becomes easy! Use colors that do not easily lift: i.e, Ochres, for instance. Use Transparent Colors. Each layer should be a dilution of that transparent color. Let each layer dry rock hard. Paint another layer of that first color or another transparent color. Let dry. Paint another layer. and etc. until you reach the depth you require. The last color will be the color the eye sees first. That's it in a nut shell, although there are other niceties to layering. Let dry between each layer!

Below is a link to the Watercolor Handbook in the Learning Zone. It explains glazing or layering in more detail:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...errerid=134492

Click on Watercolor Handbook, Scroll down (a lot) and you will come to Painter Techniques Basic & Beyond, scroll down some more until you get to Glazes.

Margarete
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2015, 08:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Hi Pappyspop. Welcome to the Watercolour Forum. You've begun an interesting and challenging journey!
  • Watercolour behaves differently than acrylics. Learn to allow the water to do its job for you, guiding your pigment rather than painting it.
  • Constant brushing over an area has the potential to abrade the paper and muddy the colour.
  • Learn your colour theory. Understand what the pigments on your palette will do for you and how to predict the outcome of your mixes.
  • Make charts. Yes, I know this sounds tedious. It's not. The few minutes it takes to learn how your colours look when wet, when dry and when mixed will save you a lot of time in trying to *fix* an unsuccessful element or painting.
  • Understand your values and how to use neutrals or, frankly, mud to make your local colour look more vibrant. This is an important method of improving not only your colour, but your compositions.
  • Learn how to mix your darks. It's amazing how many emerging Artists are afraid of the dark!
  • Take the time to make a glazing chart. Learn the outcome of how a final colour looks after some number of layers.
  • Have fun.

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2015, 04:19 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

If applying multiple layers start with the staining colours which won't lift.

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2015, 06:24 AM
WC! Guide
Ohio

Hails from United States

Welcome to the forum. All good advice. Just keep painting - watch yTube videos - they can help a lot.

Jan
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

Many thanks to ALL above, for your instructions, words of wisdom, and expertise.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2015, 01:47 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Diego

Hails from United States

Add to this already excellent advice, make sure you have good paper.

If you have poor paper, it can be overworked much much faster. This is especially important in the beginning, once you know that you know what you are doing, you can know what the paper is doing and you can compensate for it, at first you are just trying to figure out how to even do basic techniques.

Quote:
Constant brushing over an area has the potential to abrade the paper and muddy the colour.

The sizing on some papers which are midgrade does not last. Sizing keeps the paper on the surface ( which makes it bright ), but also works as a glue keeping the fibers from becoming frayed as you work. The more you work the paper, loosens the fibers and which make the surface less smooth and duller.

There are a lot of reasons for mud, just remember mud isn't bad, some of us actually paint with the mud in our palettes, rather it's just not in the right spot, or a color that clashes with the rest of what you have going on. All the advice given is very good here, but If you need some more help ( not entirely sure what the problem is ), please try describing your actual materials and process, and perhaps post some photos.

Susan Harris Tustain ( suhato on these forums ) has a lot of info on using glazes and transparent colors, and might be someone you can look at. She uses specific materials and techniques, often how you work and what you use go hand in hand. ( see this thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1354347 )
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

I am using Arches 140lb rough or cold press paper. My brushes are: a large mop for washes (Alvaro Castagnet); an old 1/2" bristle for texture, 1" flat, #2 rigger, 3" hake (John Lovett), and several sizes of round sable. My paint is tube Winsor & Newton and Daniel Smith, with a palette limited to max 12 colors, but usually just 8.
My problem seems to be that I keep adding color over color, paint over paint, until I have a mess. Acrylics allow for wet over wet... guess I am rushing the watercolor process and not allowing paper to dry...
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2015, 06:17 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Diego

Hails from United States

Yes, Let them dry, and I mean bone dry so it's no longer cold to the touch before doing the second layer.

Look at staining colors ( that is related to what you have going on, what paints specifically are you using them ). The really staining ones ( my QoR Nickel Yellow PY150 won't come up for example even if I want it to almost immediately, others take a bit to fully stain. What colors are you using.

The link to suhatos work I provided in my previous post really helps to explain this. I use non staining colors as a final layer, so you can use them, it's just that opaque colors and granulating colors aren't as good when used as the bottom layer.

Last edited by briantmeyer : 06-15-2015 at 06:55 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2015, 02:42 AM
Immortalized
Northern Galilee Hills, Israel

Use the best paper

Light before dark
Staining before lifting
Transparent before opaque

Use lots of water, on the paper, on the brush, mixed in washes
Let the layer dry before the next layer

Practice practice practice