WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Northwest suburbs of Chicago

art projectors

I am considering purchasing a projector for projecting photos to use as a sketcing aid. I have looked at business projectors (Epson) and art projectors (Artograph). Any experience or comments on brands or types projectors as a sketching aid? What should I look for?
Mel
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: art projectors

Have you considered using an ipad or digital monitor?

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2015, 01:54 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Colorado

Hails from United States

Mel, I would say a lot of it would depend on your budget. Artograph has an amazing new product, very small and portable, but it's about $700. I don't care for the inexpensive opaque projectors because they get so incredibly hot and will ruin a photo if you don't use a copy.

But there's a lot in between. I prefer something that you can use with a laptop like the business presentation projectors you mentioned. You can find lots of those used on Craigslist or eBay. Just make sure the bulb is good because they cost a lot to replace.

One inexpensive option is the old overhead projectors which you can often find in thrift stores. You have to print out the reference photo onto a transparency sheet (which you can get an an office supply store).

John Mayatt uses one in this video of his "Fame in the Frame" show (4:40):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh1...e-1-2_creation

Jan

Last edited by janinco : 06-18-2015 at 02:33 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2015, 11:49 PM
Northwest suburbs of Chicago

Doug and Jan, Thanks for the responses.

Do any of you use projectors for sketching, layout, composition?

I used to shoot a lot of slide film and have used my slide projector to work up sketches for painting. It enabled me to accurately prepare an under sketch for larger paintings far better than I could have without the help of the projector.
Now I shoot a lot of digital images and would like to base paintings on some of them. I have done layout sketches by drawing, which sometimes turn out OK and sometimes don't. I have also laid tracing paper over my computer monitor to trace the image and then rubbed graphite on the back of the paper to permit transfer to the watercolor paper. That limits the size of the painting to the size of my computer monitor.

I was at a store looking at business projectors for doing powerpoint presentations and such. I have the used those for putting on programs for a club I belong to. They work great in a classroom or lecture hall, but the 3000 lumen brightness would probably not work well for sketching on a half sheet of watercolor paper. It seems it would be far too bright. I don't know if they have the contrast and features that would make them useful for artwork. If you have use one of these, what are your thoughts?

The Artograph LED 500 and LED 1000 projectors have lots of features that would seem very useful for what I'm seeking to do. I particularly like that the LED 500 mounts on a tripod for convenient pointing anywhere. The cost is fairly high but I just might splurge on this if it would work like I hope it will.

Has anyone tried the Artograph LED500 projector? Is it bright enough to use during the daytime with windows in the room? How is the sharpness of the image? Does it seem well made? Is it easy to use?

Thanks in advance,
Mel
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2015, 12:01 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Colorado

Hails from United States

Mel, can't help with the Artograph, but this is how I get my photo or drawing onto paper:
http://twostonestudio.com/tracingdemo/tracingdemo.html

To print off an image larger than your printer paper, you can save the image as a PDF, and when you click to print it, put the setting to poster and actual size, and it will break it up into however many pieces are needed. I set the overlap to 1/2" and tape the pieces together before tracing.

I do all my composition now on Corel Painter or Photoshop and then print off the outline. If you're using a photo as a reference you can trace the outline onto another layer and print. It's easy to rearrange things and erase distractions.

Jan